The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Åland. :)

I think we should find a Swede to corroborate that. You might be biased. :p

If you are making lasagna with fresh pasta sheets you made would you pre boil the pasta or throw it in totally uncooked?

Also nutmeg in bolognese sauce yes or no?

Pre-boil the pasta sheets for three or four minutes, then build your lasagna with them. They will finish cooking in the oven. If you just put in the fresh sheets, you'll wind up with a gooey mess, or the noodles will be very tough and undercooked.

Hope that helps. :)

Why is Greece buying F-16's ?

I hope at least the US is heavily subsidizing the deal.

At least they're not buying F-35's. What an overpriced joke. Lockheed Martin should be glad the Norwegian government will go to any lengths to please the White House. We're buying 52 of the damned things. :hammer2:

Also nutmeg in bolognese sauce yes or no?

That's a new one. Never ocured to me to use it in a bolognese sauce, but I cant see how it would destroy the sauce. My gut says it wont make much to any difference to the taste. Go for nutmeg, might turn up a surprise.

PS: Report back with the findings, should you use nutmeg.

If you're going to have a modern air force capability, the F-16 gives probably the best capability/value/interoperability with other allied air forces combination. And they may well be pissed off enough at the rest of Europe to give the Eurofighter a pass.

If you're going to have a modern air force capability, the F-16 gives probably the best capability/value/interoperability with other allied air forces combination. And they may well be pissed off enough at the rest of Europe to give the Eurofighter a pass.
I guess I should have framed the questions as 'How is Greece able to afford new fighter jets' ?

I don't mean to take a dig at Greece but given the state of their economy and the massive migrant population they are taking in, I just don't see how this helps them. Idk I guess in the grand scheme of things this isn't a ton of money to spend but I don't know.

Pre-boil the pasta sheets for three or four minutes, then build your lasagna with them. They will finish cooking in the oven. If you just put in the fresh sheets, you'll wind up with a gooey mess, or the noodles will be very tough and undercooked.

Hope that helps. :)

3-4 minutes :eek:

It's fresh sheets and I'm rolling them really thin with my pasta roller. 3-4 minutes would be fully cooked, that's like how long I cook fresh fettuccine. Most of the recipes I've read suggest a quick blanch basically, just drop them in the water, let it return to boiling and take out, maybe a minute max.

I'm thinking the pre boil is more important for removing some of the starch which is probably what makes it a gooey mess, more than for softening the noodles.

That's a new one. Never ocured to me to use it in a bolognese sauce, but I cant see how it would destroy the sauce. My gut says it wont make much to any difference to the taste. Go for nutmeg, might turn up a surprise.

PS: Report back with the findings, should you use nutmeg.

Half the recipes have it, half don't. It's like milk too, half say reduce with milk, and of those half say reduce with milk before wine and the other half say reduce with milk after the wine. I'm going to leave the milk out, I think it'll just mute the flavors of the meat. They say it's to give it a creamier consistency but oil/butter, pork and beef fat plus pancetta should already be rich and creamy enough.

I have made before in a more american style using garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Traditional uses no herbs or garlic. I'm going to try more traditional this time, it's actually quite simple- sofrito (diced carrot, onion, celery) softened in oil or butter with a little pancetta, then brown the meat (I'll try a blend of pork and beef this time), add a little tomato paste, I guess nutmeg goes here if using, add white wine and reduce. That's it, maybe a little stock if it gets too dry. Let it simmer about 2-3 hours. Not a hard sauce just time consuming.

I'm also hotly debating which pot to use. Since I got all my pots mostly before I got into real cooking they're all stupid non stick coated which is not going to give those heavenly brown bits of flavor. That's my big stock pots. I have one spaghetti pot with a strainer that fits inside that's stainless steal but I would really hate to mess it up by cooking other stuff in it. I'm sure I can clean it well, but, I just like the idea of my pasta pot having never been tainted with other flavors.

So I will probably use my 5 qt deep saute pan. It's clad steel, works well for pretty much everything and it's plenty big, it's just shallower than a stock pot so sauce bubbles will make it over the side and make things messy when simmering for that long.

I guess I should have framed the questions as 'How is Greece able to afford new fighter jets' ?

I don't mean to take a dig at Greece but given the state of their economy and the massive migrant population they are taking in, I just don't see how this helps them. Idk I guess in the grand scheme of things this isn't a ton of money to spend but I don't know.

Every country has something of a military budget, even when pressed with other budget priorities. And the US is constantly pressuring them all to increase what they spend.

At least they're not buying F-35's. What an overpriced joke. Lockheed Martin should be glad the Norwegian government will go to any lengths to please the White House. We're buying 52 of the damned things. :hammer2:

Gotta have something to chase away those Ruskie bears. :p

You know where you use nutmeg? On fettuccini alfredo.

So that's a no to bolognese?

I have not seen nutmeg called for directly in alfredo but I have seen generic cream sauces that call for it. Which I guess is what american alfredo is.

Haven't tried it in bolognese. Seem's like it could be good.

But I can testify to how it perks up alfredo. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom