The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that's a no to bolognese?

I have not seen nutmeg called for directly in alfredo but I have seen generic cream sauces that call for it. Which I guess is what american alfredo is.

Just go for it.
Cooking is all about improvisation/experimentation. If it works you have created a great personal recipe. If it doesn't, you're one step closer to a great personal recipe.
Either way, in a couple of years/decades your descendants will swear on your sauce.

Either way, in a couple of years/decades your descendants will swear on your sauce . . .
. . . and try to figure out what is that ingredient that makes it so different from other bolognese sauces.

About physics: To my knowledge all elements up to iron were created by fusion. What is the current theory how the heavier ones were created?

. . . and try to figure out what is that ingredient that makes it so different from other bolognese sauces.

That's why you write it down and leave a note.
Old school, ink on paper.
In barely decypherable hand writing.
Maybe in some kind of code.
Bonus points if it rhymes.

About physics: To my knowledge all elements up to iron were created by fusion. What is the current theory how the heavier ones were created?
I think Bootstoots made them in his basement.

Collisions between white dwarf stars. Neutron stars. Neutron and white dwarf stars. Or supernovae.

3-4 minutes :eek:

It's fresh sheets and I'm rolling them really thin with my pasta roller. 3-4 minutes would be fully cooked, that's like how long I cook fresh fettuccine. Most of the recipes I've read suggest a quick blanch basically, just drop them in the water, let it return to boiling and take out, maybe a minute max.

I'm thinking the pre boil is more important for removing some of the starch which is probably what makes it a gooey mess, more than for softening the noodles.
Your mileage may vary, but I find that if I don't boil the pasta for about 3 or 4 minutes, when I cook the lasagna, the noodles never finish cooking and they are tough. Maybe it's just me, or I don't put enough liquid in the lasagna. Not sure.

Supernova explosions.

Here is a recent article you may find interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/gravitational-waves-kilonova-1.4358622

article said:
According to calculations by theoretical astrophysicist Enrico Ramirez-Ruiz at the University of California Santa Cruz, a single neutron star merger like this one can produce enough gold to equal the mass of Jupiter. He estimates neutron star mergers are responsible for half of the elements heavier than iron in the universe.

As previously stated mostly supernovas and star collision. It's not so much that fusion couldn't create post iron elements but they require energy input which quickly shuts the star down. Leading to either a white dwarf or supernova. With the initial collapse of the supernova providing the energy for the creation.

Another option as we found out two days ago is a collision of neutron stars. Valka has linked to it, IIRC we've found a good amount of heavy elements in the debris that we couldn't account for with just SN. Abundance wise that is, not new elements. Lot's of gold as I understand amongst it.

Bacon. I am strongly considering subbing bacon for pancetta. A lot of online recipes have this. I've never used pancetta before so I can't comment to its flavor but it is hard to find at a decent price at a chain supermarket, while bacon I can use for something else or buy a single piece from the deli.

Thank you all for the info regarding heavy elements. :goodjob:
There is a lot oft nothing between the matter in the sky above us - so a neutron star collision seems so improbable to me that scientiest observing one in our lifetime shows again how big the universe really is ( or how bad my personal feeling for statistical probability is)

All of reality as we know it is a lot of nothing between the matter, whether it's the stars in the sky or every cell in your body. :)

(The universe is almost certainly far bigger than you or anyone else can appreciate!)

Thank you all for the info regarding heavy elements. :goodjob:
There is a lot oft nothing between the matter in the sky above us - so a neutron star collision seems so improbable to me that scientiest observing one in our lifetime shows again how big the universe really is ( or how bad my personal feeling for statistical probability is)

Sure, but 13.7 billion years is also a lot of time for those collisions to take place. And recall that heavy things are attracted to other heavy things.

Does anybody know the nuances and details of "stoppers/goers"? i.e. medication for your stomach when you have diarrhea and/or related issues.

My Nepal packing list calls for both stoppers and goers. So I have bought what I think is a "stopper" - immodium tablets.

So my friend (who is looking for the same stuff) told me that a goer he knows is ex-lax (the brand). But each one we found was drowsy, i.e. stuff you take right before you go to sleep. But that doesn't make sense to me. Why crap your pants when you are asleep? Isn't it better to take an ex-lax type thing during the day, something that isn't drowsy? So that you don't end up crapping your pants? We couldn't find one like that, so maybe they don't exist though? We don't want to buy drowsy stuff cause of the whole thing we have against crappy pajamas but also because we'll be hiking each day, so we want to be as awake as possible.

The reason you don't crap your pants now every night is that your body wakes you up when you really need to go. That doesn't change if you take elax.

Does anybody know the nuances and details of "stoppers/goers"? i.e. medication for your stomach when you have diarrhea and/or related issues.

My Nepal packing list calls for both stoppers and goers. So I have bought what I think is a "stopper" - immodium tablets.

So my friend (who is looking for the same stuff) told me that a goer he knows is ex-lax (the brand). But each one we found was drowsy, i.e. stuff you take right before you go to sleep. But that doesn't make sense to me. Why crap your pants when you are asleep? Isn't it better to take an ex-lax type thing during the day, something that isn't drowsy? So that you don't end up crapping your pants? We couldn't find one like that, so maybe they don't exist though? We don't want to buy drowsy stuff cause of the whole thing we have against crappy pajamas but also because we'll be hiking each day, so we want to be as awake as possible.
I don't know much about laxatives but the common 'stoppers' are actually opiate based and they will make you drowsy. A side effect of opiates is their ability to stop your bowels from moving so some of the common anti-diarrhea meds are based on them. Due to our current opiate epidemic there has been a spike of people purposefully overdosing on these OTC meds and dying because they really can't get you high but will stop you from breathing if you take a massive enough dose.

But you're not a junky so you'll be fine haha

Hey thanks for the response. I am bringing a lot of drugs for all sorts of circumstances on this trip. My first aid kit is going to be bulging with meds lol. Looked it up and Nepalese airport/security/border officials don't care what kind of medications you bring in, as far as I can tell "almost everything goes".. so that's good

I talked to the pharmacist just now, and she said that laxatives/goers are usually taken before you go to sleep, and all the crapping happens after you wake up. She pointed to the one she recommends, and it's also a "take before you go to sleep" kind, so I just bought that. She also seemed uncomfortable to be talking about diarrhea. Come on lady, pooping is a part of life, and you signed up for this job so get over it

I am bringing a lot of drugs for all sorts of circumstances on this trip.
With the right kind of drugs you might even see a Yeti or two :cooool:
She also seemed uncomfortable to be talking about diarrhea. Come on lady, pooping is a part of life, and you signed up for this job so get over it
You should have brought a stool sample and asked for her opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom