The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one can give you anything useful since you're being cagey.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I won't tell you. There's no point. Nobody can help me."

"Okay."

"Why won't people help me? :("

I tried to get this across right from the start.

"Anybody got a <vague description of qualifications> person I can talk to about something?" leads to this conversation:

Forum user: Hey, I know this guy from a forum who wants to talk to somebody like you, I think.
Friend: Really? What's he want to talk about?
Forum user: I don't really know. He won't say.
Friend: Hmmm. What makes you think he wants to talk to me about it.
Forum user: Well, he was sort of vague in the request, but maybe he meant someone like you.
Friend: This doesn't really sound too promising. Is the guy like a friend of yours? I mean maybe I'll try to help out.
Forum user: Not really. He mostly treats everyone on the forum like dirt, now that you ask.
Friend: So you want to help him because...?
Forum user: You know what, never mind.

No one can give you anything useful since you're being cagey.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I won't tell you. There's no point. Nobody can help me."

"Okay."

"Why won't people help me? :("

To tell you the truth, it's not a dangerous subject and probably not adjacent to a dangerous subject but kind of sort of might be, so I'm thinking twice about posting it publicly.

One book I quite recommend is Lee Smolin's Three Roads to Quantum Gravity.

It's hard, but he's pretty good. His goal as a popularizer is to prevent people from becoming fixated as one possible solution as the solution to the questions. Parts of the book will only make sense (probably) to graduates. But lots of it got a great gist out.

You won't run into questions like "is there free will?" or whatever. But it allows you to look at the underlying quantum theories from three different (explored) perspectives. Reality isn't subjective, but our ability to model it is. So, sometimes you need to shift perspective in order to describe a different part of the elephant.

No, I have a specific idea in mind.

To tell you the truth, it's not a dangerous subject and probably not even adjacent to a dangerous subject, but kind of sort of might be so I'm thinking twice about posting it publicly.

It's not that basilisk thing is it?

Also... this is all starting to feel familiar...

It's not that basilisk thing is it?

Not related to any basilisk whatsoever.

Also... this is all starting to feel familiar...

To ethics either. The scope of genuinely dangerous knowledge is very small, if such a thing exists at all, but the scope of knowledge that might be dangerous is wide. No reason to take chances.

Huh? I meant someone wanted to talk about something whilst refusing to say what it was because they thought the mere concept was too dangerous before, a few months ago. Not sure if it was you or not.

To tell you the truth, it's not a dangerous subject and probably not adjacent to a dangerous subject but kind of sort of might be, so I'm thinking twice about posting it publicly.

:lol: What on earth could you be talking about that requires non-scientific interpretation of quantum physics that also poses a danger to human life?

Huh? I meant someone wanted to talk about something whilst refusing to say what it was because they thought the mere concept was too dangerous before, a few months ago. Not sure if it was you or not.

Probably just coincidence. I mean, everybody makes requests like that on a pretty regular basis, don't they?

Correct, that was utilitarian-related. This is not that.

:lol: What on earth could you be talking about that requires non-scientific interpretation of quantum physics that also poses a danger to human life?

It's not 'non-scientific', but a more of a philosophical idea that requires scientific verification.

Have you tried Quora? You can get expert opinions on there, and you can probably keep your anonymity for whatever "troubling" thing you're thinking of asking.

Correct that it was you? Or correct that it happened? The latter wasn't in any doubt.

Was me.

Have you tried Quora? You can get expert opinions on there, and you can probably keep your anonymity for whatever "troubling" thing you're thinking of asking.

Not a matter of my personal anonymity.

Basically you want to talk to someone about physics, but someone who probably isn't really qualified to talk about it, in a way that isn't going to go into any sort of technical detail about it because you can't be bothered with that, and also you won't give any specifics about what you actually want to talk about anyway. Shouldn't this go in the "random thoughts" thread perhaps? Because there doesn't seem to be any actual question to answer here.

It's not 'non-scientific', but a more of a philosophical idea that requires scientific verification.

Ah, you're trying to fund a series of studies in the quantum physics field. This is rather expensive. I hope you're prepared to pay.

Not a matter of my personal anonymity.

Which neatly sidesteps the question of whether you have tried Quora, which might be the best suggestion made so far. Of course, not sidestepping the question would perhaps involve showing a little gratitude towards someone who made a little effort rather than dismissing you out of hand.

Hey @MaryKB if I get on Quora will I be able to find bank security professionals like yourself who might be willing to answer some questions about...well...stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically you want to talk to someone about physics, but someone who probably isn't really qualified to talk about it, in a way that isn't going to go into any sort of technical detail about it because you can't be bothered with that, and also you won't give any specifics about what you actually want to talk about anyway. Shouldn't this go in the "random thoughts" thread perhaps? Because there doesn't seem to be any actual question to answer here.

Ah, it's probably nonsense. I get these obsessions and can't stop thinking about it, though (to the point that it's stopped any attempt to wind down my use of the internet).

To ethics either. The scope of genuinely dangerous knowledge is very small, if such a thing exists at all, but the scope of knowledge that might be dangerous is wide. No reason to take chances.

Whatever it is: You are probably not the first person to have this thought. And the world still exists.
Also Kim Jong Un doesn't look up his ideas here.

And unrelated: I don't think anyone here knows you in RL, there's no danger for you either.

So if you can't tell it here, you probably can't tell it anywhere.

Hey @MaryKB if I get on Quora will I be able to find bank security professionals like yourself who might be willing to answer some questions about...well...stuff?
Ummmm ... if you mean tell you how to bypass security so you can commit crime?

Anyone on Quora who's going to identify themselves as an expert is going to give their real name and employer.
And if they tell you anything, they're certainly going to get fired (or worse)
And I'm pretty sure that's against Quora's rules anyway :p

I mean ... if you have general questions on how things work, I'd be happy to help, but I can't of course give you specifics on how to get around things :p

I can tell you though that branch robbers are like the bottom level of bank crime. You were definitely doing it wrong, very wrong.

I can tell you though that branch robbers are like the bottom level of bank crime. You were definitely doing it wrong, very wrong.

LOL...a question of goals, my dear.

Also, in terms of return on investment I suspect it might rank very high since the investment was near zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom