The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLIII

Hey, I've got one.

Maybe one of you who is more mechanically inclined than I am can answer a question.

My self-propelled mower isn't propelling itself. So, online, I've learned several possible reasons. The one I think most likely is that the drive belt has lost its elasticity.

So, here's a video on how to replace those:

Don't worry, you don't have to watch the whole video. Just right around the 3:14 marker.

So, my idea is that, if this was the problem, the belt would look kind of slack, rather than taut. And my mower's belt does look slack.

But . . . when they put the new belt on in the video, it looks slack, too.

I hate to go buy a new belt, and go to all the trouble of replacing it (for that you will have to watch the whole video) and then that doesn't prove to be the problem.

But why is the new belt in the video slack rather than (as I would expect it to be) taut, once it's around both spindles?

Belts can be slack for two reasons: it is stretched to much to do its job (buy a new one) or the two (or more) points of tension need to be adjusted to pull it taught.

I think it is more elegant to ask here, since it is a questions thread:

1685731993266.png

Why did this new thread get started after fewer than 1000 posts?

I think it is more elegant to ask here, since it is a questions thread:

View attachment 663792
Why did this new thread get started after fewer than 1000 posts?

Without splitting the EV discussion off to a new thread, the questions thread was actually more than 20 posts over the limit.

Pretend those last 12 posts are lost single socks that nobody wants to talk about, and call it even?

are there any known posters on cfcot who have never swam in the sea?

There are only two times in my life that I've been to the ocean. Both were on Vancouver Island.

I did not swim. I didn't even wade. There are creepy things in the ocean that I'd sooner not risk physical contact with, not to mention the other risks like pollution and currents and that I'm not that good a swimmer. Beachcombing was fun, though. I still have the shells and driftwood my dad and I collected. My grandmother did a painting of where we went (China Beach).

I prefer lakes, specifically Okanagan Lake in BC. No creepy lifeforms, and some of them are quite delicious if you can catch them (ie. kokanee).

Hey, I've got one.

Maybe one of you who is more mechanically inclined than I am can answer a question.

My self-propelled mower isn't propelling itself. So, online, I've learned several possible reasons. The one I think most likely is that the drive belt has lost its elasticity.

So, here's a video on how to replace those:

Don't worry, you don't have to watch the whole video. Just right around the 3:14 marker.

So, my idea is that, if this was the problem, the belt would look kind of slack, rather than taut. And my mower's belt does look slack.

But . . . when they put the new belt on in the video, it looks slack, too.

I hate to go buy a new belt, and go to all the trouble of replacing it (for that you will have to watch the whole video) and then that doesn't prove to be the problem.

But why is the new belt in the video slack rather than (as I would expect it to be) taut, once it's around both spindles?
I know little about mowers, but more about cars. They have the fan belt, or auxiliary drive belt, and they have a mechanism for tightening the belt. You may just need to do this. You could just try tightening it a bit. It is certainly possible to do damage by over tightening these things.

Thanks, Samson, but no. I have watched the whole video and there's no stage for tightening the belt once it's on. That's what made me think that just the elasticity in the belt would be what made it snug to the two spindles.

Now, what I will say is that the belt on my own mower does seem to my eye more slack than the one in the video. So maybe it can operate with a little bit of slackness, just not as much as mine has. After one puts the belt in place, there's a guide that goes back in place and that seems to angle the belt a bit. Maybe just that angle is enough to put snugness in the totality. I went to the local garden store. If the belt could just be picked up off the shelf, I'd buy one and try it. But I'm going to have to order it from Amazon, and that's the second level of hassle that makes me want to second-guess if there's some other way of fixing it.

Thanks, and to you too, Bird.

Why is there no air conditioning in UK whereas in America everyone has it?

And why does everyone drive a manual here?

Most offices and stores have air conditioning here.
Given the climate its not really needed in private homes.

Dunno, why does everyone drive an automatic in the US?

It rains all the time, so we have less need of AC.

The manual/auto dichotomy is a weird one. I have always thought of it like the difference between the German and American love of cars. The Germans love their cars, build really fast ones and have roads without speed limits. Americans love the freedom that comes with cars, build really big slow ones with auto gearboxes and spend half their lives in them.

Americans are lazy about a lot of things. We do love our cars, but want them easy to use. Convenient! Nothing to learn with an automatic transmission. Manual ones are too challenging for many. Thinking is involved.

Home AC wasn't feasible until the 1950s but once it was, living in the southern US became tolerable for northerners. The south became vacation land and a place for a second home. Home AC steadily spread north and became a big plus if you wanted to sell your house. Home AC created the Sunbelt growth. In the southwest evaporative coolers dominated the "how to cool your home" scene until the 90s when heating companies began pushing AC. Water shortages help move folks from evaporative coolers to AC too. Phoenix would not be possible without home AC.

Manual vs stick (ack, brainfart! Meant "auto") in the UK/Europe vs the US might also be a function of town "planning" (i.e. most European towns were "planned" >1000 years ago, so (urban) roads tend to be designed for carts rather than cars) and geography (Europe is generally hillier per unit area?), making stickshift maybe more practical here(?).

Gas is also a lot more expensive this side of the Pond -- and AFAIK, a (well-driven!) manual will always be more fuel-efficient than the same model in automatic (right, @Samson ?)

Last edited:
You've never been to the United States in the Summer, have you? :lol:

Gas is also a lot more expensive this side of the Pond -- and AFAIK, a (well-driven!) manual will always be more fuel-efficient than the same model in automatic (right, @Samson ?)
I think this used to be totally true, in that torque converters are inherently inefficient. I THINK there exist automatic gearboxes that are just manual gearboxes with a computer to do the gears, which could be as efficient. There is also CVT which is less efficient but can allow the engine to always run at the most efficient speed so could be more efficient in total.
You've never been to the United States in the Summer, have you? :lol:
The US is quite big, there are some cold bits aren't there?

Home AC wasn't feasible until the 1950s but once it was, living in the southern US became tolerable for northerners. The south became vacation land and a place for a second home. Home AC steadily spread north and became a big plus if you wanted to sell your house. Home AC created the Sunbelt growth. In the southwest evaporative coolers dominated the "how to cool your home" scene until the 90s when heating companies began pushing AC. Water shortages help move folks from evaporative coolers to AC too. Phoenix would not be possible without home AC.
My understanding is that Northern cities have never really been tolerable in the Summer, either. Before air conditioning, wealthy (and middle-class?) people would simply head for the hills, or for the shore. That's why we used to have so many resort communities around the North, before air travel, and why communities like The Hamptons, the Catskills, and the Berkshires became popular with urbanites. We all know Atlantic City as a popular seaside resort on the East Coast for most of the 20th Century, but there were smaller resort towns practically every few feet, up and down the East Coast from Georgia to Maine, maybe from the mid-19th Century onwards. I think Saratoga NY was the Las Vegas of its day. Some of them are still there, but there used to be more than there are now.

The US is quite big, there are some cold bits aren't there?
In the Winters. Northern US cities will make you hate your life in the Summer. I'm happy to live in a leafy neighborhood, but I've visited parts of New York City and Philadelphia in July-August, and I wanted to kill myself. I've heard that Washington DC in the Summer is like being boiled alive.

@EgonSpengler You are correct. Escaping city heat in summer was high on the list for those that could afford it.

From 1966:

Top Bottom