The Viking DLC

Can someone please explain this to me? According to the winter update patch notes religious units can now fortify until healed. So why build the monastery? Does this button only work when you've build the monastery? That's not how I read it, but otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Before this religious units healed by sleeping on Holy Sites. It was an opaque ability. The fortify until healed ability does exactly the same thing, only now it is clear how it works. The Monestaries give you extra locations where the fortify until healed works.

Oh they did heal in holy sites before? Didn't know that and thought they were supposed to never be healed.

But the monasteries are build on holy sites, right, so that doesn't change a thing. Or what am I misunderstanding here?

Oh they did heal in holy sites before? Didn't know that and thought they were supposed to never be healed.

But the monasteries are build on holy sites, right, so that doesn't change a thing. Or what am I misunderstanding here?

The monasteries are probably a unique tile improvement, not a building for the Holy Site district.

The monasteries are probably a unique tile improvement, not a building for the Holy Site district.

Correct. The Monestaries are tile improvements like La Venta's Colossal Heads, not Holy Site buildings.

Oh ok, my mistake. If you are doing a religious game I doubt you won't gain that much from the healing since a holy site won't be that far away. But will be interesting to see :)

As someone who doesn't enjoy playing scenarios I'm a bit disappointed. Basically 1 civ and 3 natural wonders for 10 euros.

Oh ok, my mistake. If you are doing a religious game I doubt you won't gain that much from the healing since a holy site won't be that far away. But will be interesting to see :)

Yes, I'd actually say this might be more useful if you got a religion you want to defend but aren't aggressively doing a religious game. You can have these around with some apostles/inquisitors, without having to have a holy site in every city to help heal units.

Isn't Grenada also a city near Mexico? Grenada is a country close by and I believe the capital is / was Grenada. Maybe I'm mistaken, but Google Search is so far away :D

Isn't Grenada also a city near Mexico? Grenada is a country close by and I believe the capital is / was Grenada. Maybe I'm mistaken, but Google Search is so far away :D
You are confusing Grenada and Granada.

It's also a bit of a strange thing to add Granada and with it the unique Alcazar improvement, when the Alcazar of Granada itself is already in the game as the Alhambra wonder.
But the new CS seem all very nice. If I understood it correctly, with the Alcazar improvement, your builders can build fortifications that also provide culture and you don't military engineers for that any more.

Seems Steam customers are not amused by this DLC. Out of 200+ reviews, 6% are positive.
In this case I think this is heavily biased.
This is because of the fact that it is included in the DDE and so many people bought it involuntarily. Also because it is an early DLC and most people want new civs in early DLCs and not scenarios and miscellaneous new things.
Many of the reviews are complaining it contains mainly a scenario and they don't play scenarios. So that is not to be taken seriously when it comes to how good the content really is. The fact that there are some positive reviews means that it can't be too bad.

In this case I think this is heavily biased.
This is because of the fact that it is included in the DDE and so many people bought it involuntarily. Also because it is an early DLC and most people want new civs in early DLCs and not scenarios and miscellaneous new things.
Many of the reviews are complaining it contains mainly a scenario and they don't play scenarios. So that is not to be taken seriously when it comes to how good the content really is.

Oh, I have no doubt it's more due to the circumstances of the release more than the actual content of the release. That doesn't mean the response should be disregarded entirely, however. A response this negative should be a clear message about what the consumer expects, regardless of the quality of the actual content (which may or may not be good).

The fact that there are some positive reviews means that it can't be too bad.

But that, um, is a stretch.

Before this religious units healed by sleeping on Holy Sites. It was an opaque ability. The fortify until healed ability does exactly the same thing, only now it is clear how it works. The Monestaries give you extra locations where the fortify until healed works.
I think there's an additional point to this: "Fortify until healed" - unlike "sleep" - wakes up the unit once it's at full help. Before, when you put the unit to sleep to heal, you needed to remember to check when it was back up at full health if you wanted to use it. The new option automatically brings the unit into the action list once it's healed.

Oh, I have no doubt it's more due to the circumstances of the release more than the actual content of the release. That doesn't mean the response should be disregarded entirely, however. A response this negative should be a clear message about what the consumer expects, regardless of the quality of the actual content (which may or may not be good).
If I played Scenarios, I doubt I'd give a damn what people who didn't play Scenarios thought.

Substitute "Scenarios" for "Multiplayer" and watch peoples' tunes change. Multiplayer isn't exactly the overwhelming majority demographic for Civilisation players (by Steam achievement metrics)!

If I played Scenarios, I doubt I'd give a damn what people who didn't play Scenarios thought.

Substitute "Scenarios" for "Multiplayer" and watch peoples' tunes change. Multiplayer isn't exactly the overwhelming majority demographic for Civilisation players (by Steam achievement metrics)!

Yes, keep making excuses for the extremely negative response. Find reasons to look the other way. That's what a business should do.

Yes, keep making excuses for the extremely negative response. Find reasons to look the other way. That's what a business should do.
What excuse? I don't care that people who don't play the game modes I play have opinions about them. As a consumer. That's about it.

Either you're projecting, or you're sidestepping the point.

Top Bottom