The Viking DLC

What excuse? I don't care that people who don't play the game modes I play have opinions about them. As a consumer. That's about it.

Either you're projecting, or you're sidestepping the point.

If all you are concerned with is the quality of the gameplay of the scenario--fine. That seems reasonable.

I do think the extremely negative feedback is something worthy of attention, however. If not for you, then I think Firaxis should maybe look into it as a rather strong message from their customers. I checked back to the Civ V scenario/DLC reviews and none had this sort of response. Even the Poland DLC is getting rather mixed reviews (67ish% positive when I checked), which is also atypical compared to a scenario+Civ pack from V (the Babylon DLC from V is much more positively received).

Fair enough. People are a lot more burned out on the whole concept, I feel. Considering that Firaxis are doing "more of the same", I think people just don't have the goodwill that they had when CiV was young. I'm not, personally, but generally I'm not a huge DLC person (I'll pick it up when I can, if I can, kinda deal. I still don't have all the character kits for Borderlands 2 and that sits at the top of my most-played list on Steam).

There are still people burned out on the art style, too. Factors like that will be present here that weren't present when CiV DLC sales mattered. This is to say nothing of how the content itself has been marketed (I haven't actually checked the listing), how it's worded, and so on. There could be mistakes there that are either underselling the product, or have lead people to have unrealistic expectations about the product(s). I don't know, though.

If all you are concerned with is the quality of the gameplay of the scenario--fine. That seems reasonable.

I do think the extremely negative feedback is something worthy of attention, however. If not for you, then I think Firaxis should maybe look into it as a rather strong message from their customers. I checked back to the Civ V scenario/DLC reviews and none had this sort of response. Even the Poland DLC is getting rather mixed reviews (67ish% positive when I checked), which is also atypical compared to a scenario+Civ pack from V (the Babylon DLC from V is much more positively received).

I think the strong message will be 'don't offer a deluxe edition with DLC included again'. That seems to be the primary source of complaints, that people had much different expectations for what the initial DLC would be. I'm a little bemused, as even a cursory glance at what DLC was released for Civ 5 when would show exactly what you would get. It's worth it for people who will basically buy all the DLC, doesn't make sense otherwise. I'm guessing the next two DLCs packs will be $7.50ish packs max - $25 DLC for $20 or so.

I think the strong message will be 'don't offer a deluxe edition with DLC included again'. That seems to be the primary source of complaints, that people had much different expectations for what the initial DLC would be. I'm a little bemused, as even a cursory glance at what DLC was released for Civ 5 when would show exactly what you would get. It's worth it for people who will basically buy all the DLC, doesn't make sense otherwise. I'm guessing the next two DLCs packs will be $7.50ish packs max - $25 DLC for $20 or so.

I didn't buy the deluxe edition for that very reason. I was expecting a map pack. I do like Vikings though for the Wonders and City-States. Anything that adds diversity to a regular game.

I played halfway through the scenario as Sweden. I enjoyed it. Build as many beserkers and longships as you can and pillage as much as you can while defending against waves of barbarians for 100 turns.

If you are not a fan of diplomacy and just want to burn things down then this is the scenario for you!

I think the 95% negativity score on Steam for Vikings will deter Firaxis from making this mistake again.

For the record, the Poland DLC is getting more and more negative reviews as well. Earlier it was over 60% positive, now it's down to 45%. Steam customers are not happy.

If both of these DLCs had been combined into one $4.99 DLC, I doubt people would have been this disappointed. It's really the "here's 2 of your DLCS!" aspect that is what is driving the hate.

PR-wise, Firaxis might want to offer a refund on the difference between the deluxe and standard editions to those who want to just 'downgrade' to the normal version. Or increase the number of DLC included to 5 or 6.

PR-wise, Firaxis might want to offer a refund on the difference between the deluxe and standard editions to those who want to just 'downgrade' to the normal version. Or increase the number of DLC included to 5 or 6.
What really confuses me here is the fact that you were supposed to save money on buying the deluxe compared to buying the regular + all four DLC. But with the difference being 20 €, and each DLC being 5 €, I don't really see the savings. Unless of course some of the upcoming DLCs will be more expensive than 5 €.

What really confuses me here is the fact that you were supposed to save money on buying the deluxe compared to buying the regular + all four DLC. But with the difference being 20 €, and each DLC being 5 €, I don't really see the savings. Unless of course some of the upcoming DLCs will be more expensive than 5 €.
I'm guessing they'll release a 2-civ pack or such (ala Spain and Inca for 7.49 from Civ 5) down the line for a bit more but I doubt it'll be more than $5 in savings overall.

It was definitely a bad PR move to start with two 4.99 ones (even if it was predictable from the civ 5 dlc).

Call me stupid, but how do you actually start this scenario. I cannot find it in the game setup, multiplayer or singleplayer. I am confused...

In this case I think this is heavily biased.
This is because of the fact that it is included in the DDE and so many people bought it involuntarily. Also because it is an early DLC and most people want new civs in early DLCs and not scenarios and miscellaneous new things.
What's DDE? To my knowledge you only get the wonders and city states from this DLC. I think it has always been obvious to Firaxis that releasing map packs and scenarios only as DLCs just isn't enough. Combining it with 3 natural wonders along with a handful of city states seems like a fair thing to try. Can't blame Firaxis for trying this out. Would have preferred world wonders over natural wonders though, but I'm still happy we get new things in the regular games.

Not surprised new civs is what people want, and I guess that is why they are negative after all. It surprises me that the reviews are this bad though - but also a big surprise the Polish DLC is negative. Guess it has a lot to do with the general view of Civ6 - I don't think the content of the Polish DLC didn't live up to the expectations of a DLC. But in general I'm really worried about the future of Civ6 as a whole. I have like 4 friends who also bought Civ6 on release and two other who didn't buy it though I think they both have played every Civ-game there is. Of the 4 friends only one gas played it within the last two weeks (as he had been occupied the last month before that). I'd expected some more playing from them by now.

How does Civ6 compare to Civ5 vanilla in regard to reviews? In Civ5 the general concept was fine, but the features just weren't enough. In Civ6 we have graphics and some general ideas people complain about I believe. I'm not sure they are as easily fixed as in Civ5.

I think the 95% negativity score on Steam for Vikings will deter Firaxis from making this mistake again.
I think they have already planned all of the 4 DLCs from the beginning. Not sure much will change to be honest. But maybe a review this bad could change a whole damn lot in regard to the upcoming DLCs.

I think they have already planned all of the 4 DLCs from the beginning. Not sure much will change to be honest. But maybe a review this bad could change a whole damn lot in regard to the upcoming DLCs.

If I recall correctly, XCOM had the same problem with poor reception to a DLC that made them scrap future DLC along those lines. To be honest, I think Poland + scenario is fine, but I wanted more DLC along the lines of the $7.99 double civilization pack from V (Spain + Inca + Scenario). Civilization + Scenario is also fine, given reviews for Civ + Scenarios in V were generally positive. I think the Vikings DLC is so bad that it is bringing Poland's scores down.

Heck, maybe Vikings could have gotten away with itself if it added an alternative leader to Norway for regular play.

Sure could. I think people expect another leader with each DLC at least for those included in the DDE. I don't know the reviews of the DLC that brought new world wonders to Civ5, but I think natural wonders don't score as high as world wonders. I would have preferred world wonders over atural wonders, but I do like the new CS.

Did Firaxis actually promise you'd save money from the DDE compared to buying each DLC upon release? In that case I think it's save to say at least one DLC will feature more than just a new leader and a new scenario for that leader. Won't say I'm certain it will be a two leader pack + scenario, but something more than a leader and a scenario. I don't think they'll increase the price for just a leader and a scenario.

Top Bottom