The Viking DLC

So, uh, I've been reading the Poland DLC reviews.

. . . they don't actually seem to be about the DLC. Just people complaining that the Deluxe Edition isn't saving them money when they don't even know all the DLC that the Deluxe Edition will give them.

What's the odds on people apologising if they end up wrong?

Somewhere very close to 0 %. And don't tell me that was a rhetorical question :D

The worst thing is that some people didn't even try the scenario before giving a negative comment.
I agree that a DLC with a scenario, CS and NW is meager. But many people seemed to have played the scenario that usually wouldn't play scenarios. So they presumably had some fun - especially if they played it as all available civs (otherwise they wouldn't). So maybe an early scenario-focussed DLC brings some people to playing scenarios, because they were starving for content, making future DLC with new civs/leaders + scenarios worth more to them, due to using all content, and not just the civ/leader. Maybe that was also the strategy of Firaxis that probably backfired.

Agree. It seems Civ is a game that people only believe has its value in the sandbox mode. I'm not hoping they will end their scenarios but I'll agree the sandbox game is the most fun.

From looking at TSL games on YouTube I could imagine people would find pleasure if these type of games were included. Not sure it's the scenario in itself people dislike, but I have an idea they prefer starting games in the stone age with nothing but a settler and a warrior. I like going for achievements, but I admit the ones with later era starts are not easy for me to wanna go for.

I dislike getting achievements by going chieftain and the likes though :)

I am curious to know what are the special bonuses for each playable civ in the Viking scenario.

Norway gets +2 movement for its naval units (which only applies to Viking Longships).

Denmark gets an extra military card policy slot.

Sweden gets an extra economics card policy slot.

The abilities actually don't make much of a difference. In the normal game, extra slots is really valuable but in the scenario most policies are pretty useless.

In the scenario, the positioning of each civ is far more ability than their abilities. This is also true to a lesser extent in the Poland scenario.

Overall, I found Norway to be the easiest.

Yeah, coz everyone knows Denmark is the military might of the scandinavian world :D

By the by...could anyone dig through the data of the scenario (all stuff that ought to be perfectly accessible in XML in the openly viewable steamapps files) a little for me? I'm doing that Google Earth thing for this game and I'm a touch impatient, so there's things I want to know about the scenario, namely:

- The names of the leaders of Byzantium, Al-Andalus, and Francia
- The RGB values for every civ's color schemes (excepting Norway since I presume that's just vanilla...Francia's probably just Germany's too but you never know)
- The city list of all six civs
- A listing of all the city-states by their type
- Any regular and natural wonders that might exist in the scenario (besides Vinland)

I suppose it should be perfectly allowable to just privately send me a copy of whatever XML files contain all this info? None of them are that big - if any of these are over 10 KB I'd be surprised, unless they have every single bit of data on everything in the scenario just all in one file.

By the by...could anyone dig through the data of the scenario (all stuff that ought to be perfectly accessible in XML in the openly viewable steamapps files) a little for me? I'm doing that Google Earth thing for this game and I'm a touch impatient, so there's things I want to know about the scenario, namely:

- The names of the leaders of Byzantium, Al-Andalus, and Francia
- The RGB values for every civ's color schemes (excepting Norway since I presume that's just vanilla...Francia's probably just Germany's too but you never know)
- The city list of all six civs
- A listing of all the city-states by their type
- Any regular and natural wonders that might exist in the scenario (besides Vinland)

I suppose it should be perfectly allowable to just privately send me a copy of whatever XML files contain all this info? None of them are that big - if any of these are over 10 KB I'd be surprised, unless they have every single bit of data on everything in the scenario just all in one file.

The leader names are Basil II, Al-Hakam II, and Charlemagne

Here are the city-names I found in the xml file, it might not be a complete list though. Norway's cities are absent (likely due to using the regular Norwegian cities, Nidaros, etc) I founded a couple of cities with Russian names as Sweden (Novgorod, etc)

Denmark City Names
Odense (Capital)
Ribe
Roskilde
Caen
Lund
Sweden
Köpingsvik (Capital)
Birka
Ladoga
Kiev
Gnezdovo
Norway
Nidaros (Capital)
Stavanger
Oslo
Byzantium
Constantinople (Capital)
Attalea
Dyrrhachium
Philippopolis
Trebizond
Athens
Neapolis
Al-Andalus
Išbiliya
Lisbon
Valencia
Córdoba (Capital)
Francia
Aix-la-Chapelle (Capital)
Narbonne
Poitiers
Rüstringen (not in the scenario)
Utrecht
Rouen
Paris
City-States
Apuolė (Militaristic)
Arles (Militaristic)
Asilah (Trade)
Balarm (Trade)
Dùn Breatann (Militaristic)
Xixón (Religious)
Al-Qayrawan (Religious)
Iruñea (Militaristic)
Pisa (Trade)
Preslav (Militaristic)
Roma (Religious)
Tamworth (Religious)
Thetford (Religious)
Tmutarakan (Trade)
Venèxia (Trade)
Wintanceaster (Militaristic)
Wòlin (Trade)
Eoforwic (Militaristic)
<!--Continent Cities-->
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_TORSHAVN
Tórshavn
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_FUNNINGUR
Funningur
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_LEIRVIK
Leirvik
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_BRATTAHLID
Brattahlíð
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_HVALSEY
Hvalsey
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_SANDNAES
Sandnæs
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_GARDAR
Garðar
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_HERJOLFSNES
Herjolfsnes
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_SKID
Skíð
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_MYL
Myl
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_BARR_OY
Bjarnar-øy
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_REYKJAVIK
Reykjavík
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_HUSAVIK
Húsavík
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_AKRANES
Akranes
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_SKALHOLT
Skálaholt
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_DYFLIN
Dyflin
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_INIS_SIBHTONN
Inis Sibhtonn
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_VEDRAFJORDR
Veðrafjǫrðr,
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_VEISAFJORDR
Veisafjǫrðr
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_KIRKJUVAGR
Kirkjuvagr
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_SKALAVAGR
Skálavágr
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_BIRGISHERD
Birgisherað
LOC_CITY_NAME_SCENARIO_EID
Eið

Last edited:
New City States
  • Auckland (Industrial): Additional production for Coastal tiles.
  • Antananarivo (Cultural): Culture bonus that increases with every Great Person earned.
  • Armagh (Religious): Builders can construct the Monastery improvement, which provides Faith and heals religious units.
  • Granada (Militaristic): Builders can construct the Alcazar improvement, which protects military units and provides Culture.
  • Muscat (Trade): Bonus Amenities in cities with a Commercial Hub.
  • Palenque (Scientific): Improved City growth for cities with a Campus.

Can anyone who has this DLC list more specific benefits? E.g., how much production, culture, etc. I'm working on a guide for city states, but don't have this DLC and can't find the specific numbers anywhere.

Many thanks. Sorry to ask more, but what types are each of those city-states? I think there's only Trade, Religious, and Militaristic, that's the only sort I've seen in screenshots, but I'm not sure. And the color defines for each of the civs is of import too - they're likely to be in a file entitled GameplayData or so.

Also do you know what the Continent Cities refer to? I'm under the impression they entail cities all three of the viking civs might found, which is interesting, I'll have to think on how I'd display those...

Can anyone who has this DLC list more specific benefits? E.g., how much production, culture, etc. I'm working on a guide for city states, but don't have this DLC and can't find the specific numbers anywhere.

Antananarivo gives +5% (EDIT: actually +2%) culture for each Great Person you have ever earned.
Muscat gives +1 Amenity to each Commercial Hub.
Auckland provides +1 production for Coastal tiles (includes Lakes). An additional +1 production once you research a certain tech (have to check which).

Last edited:

Okay here is the text straight from the game:

Antananarivo - Your Civilization gains +2% Culture for each Great Person it has ever earned.
(Sorry, that is 2%, not the 5% I previously posted)

Armagh - Your Builders can now make Monastery improvements.

Monastery - +2 Faith. +15 HP healing for friendly religious unit on this tile that has not attacked this turn. Cannot be built next to another Monastery.
(Can be built on flat lands or hills. Can be built on Desert, Grasslands, Plains, Snow, and Tundra).
* Interesting that they can be built on Snow!

Granada - Your Builders can now make Alcazar improvements.

Alcazar - +2 Culture. Occupying unit receives +4 Defense Strength, and automatically gains 2 turns of fortification. Cannot be built next to another Alcazar.
(Can be built on flat lands or hills. Can be built on Desert, Grasslands, Plains, Snow, and Tundra).
* Interesting that they can be built on Snow!

Muscat - +1 Amenity in cities with a Commercial Hub district.

Palenque - City growth rate is 15% higher in cities with a Campus district.

The problem with digital deluxe edition was an expectation that it was a "season pass".

You know, the feature where you buy DLCs blindly, but get discounted for buying in bulk.

On the other hand, various "premium editions" where always for the "whales". Minority of people that buy overpriced edition of the game, because they want to support the company, or want trinkets that come with the game, etc... Those players know they are paying extra for minor benefit, but do not mind that.

The problem is when both of these are combined. Then players that usually do not buy "premium editions", have expectations that is is more cost effective version of the game, but in reality it is not supposed to be.

Many thanks. Sorry to ask more, but what types are each of those city-states? I think there's only Trade, Religious, and Militaristic, that's the only sort I've seen in screenshots, but I'm not sure. And the color defines for each of the civs is of import too - they're likely to be in a file entitled GameplayData or so.

Also do you know what the Continent Cities refer to? I'm under the impression they entail cities all three of the viking civs might found, which is interesting, I'll have to think on how I'd display those...

The city-state list above includes the type - there's one of each of the six types. (Can't help you with the other questions, sorry.)

Edit: My apologies, I see you were referring to a different set of City-States.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if I can find out the city-state types, I cannot click on them. I might check later to see their colors, if that helps.

I think all three Viking civs can found the continent cities, it's based on location, for example, I founded Dyflin in Ireland.

The problem with digital deluxe edition was an expectation that it was a "season pass".

You know, the feature where you buy DLCs blindly, but get discounted for buying in bulk.

On the other hand, various "premium editions" where always for the "whales". Minority of people that buy overpriced edition of the game, because they want to support the company, or want trinkets that come with the game, etc... Those players know they are paying extra for minor benefit, but do not mind that.

The problem is when both of these are combined. Then players that usually do not buy "premium editions", have expectations that is is more cost effective version of the game, but in reality it is not supposed to be.

Sure, but the description on Steam specifically said that buying the DDE would be cheaper than buying the DLCs separately.

"Expand your empire further with the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe which includes the full base game, the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and access to four post-launch DLC packs* that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount."

You know, I rarely play scenarios (I played the improved New World scenario that came with the complete version of Civ5 once, I think) and my playstyle tends to avoid war at all cost, but I actually thoroughly enjoyed the Vikings scenario. Granted, playing as Sweden I got a lot more points from discovering Vinland and building up cities than I did raiding (I terrorized some of the neighboring city-states and very profitably raided Francia and the coast of England a few times), but still, it was fun to play a scenario that pushed me out of my comfort zone. The Poland scenario, on the other hand...they really should have just called it "Every Tile a Barbarian." ;) I haven't seen any of the new natural wonders in-game yet, but they're still a nice addition along with the city-states. At face value I was disappointed with this DLC, but having played it I'm actually reasonably satisfied.

Top Bottom