The World 1850-1900

_Impreza_

King
British Empire 1850-1900

Guide the British Empire through the exciting age of the Industrial Age - very exciting but also dangerous times. Experience the imperialsm of Europe and the adventure of the colonies, this scenario lets you enjoy playing the game with plenty of trade options and plenty of reasons to make war. There are lots of potential enemies.

Background

News has come of Prussia and its military might as it has fought off the Austrian empire in the East. Now they lay their eyes on the French. Although we dislike the French we also cannot help to despair what happens if the might of the Prussian empire conquers the French - could the Prussians be the real biggest threat? If Prussia does attack France do we help or do we stand by?

In the colonies and great cities of the British Empire there is strength and unity but also there is potential trouble, how do we deal with new threats such as Prussia? Also another great empire to the East, The Russian Empire threatens the once mighty and great Ottoman empire. If Russia were to eat this empire up could we lose all of are empire to the east which lay through the Suez canal? This is a dangerous time for Britain and millions of people from across its mighty great empire. Can Britain continue to last through this time? We must think, not just the empire is in threat but also Britain itself with ambitious countries threatening us.

So it is that we must look to the old colony of America where its people have now established the USA. Is this not are only hope? Or with are mighty armys and navy can we stand up to this great evil and fend off enemys. Only in these coming years will we therefore be able to tell.

Features

Countries: Ottomans, Germans, French. Austro Hungarians, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Denmark, Russia, Italy, Japan, Argentina, Brazil, China and the Netherlands.

All countries are fitted with accurately represented armies and navies of the time.

The units are named units after real regiments etc and cavaly after real brigades, also ships are named. This will give you the chance to battle the French Foreign legions with The Scots guards etc. Can HMS Warrior really prove she is the best ship in the world?

Make British Empire proud and play the Imperial Age!

Download and Installation

The latest version is 6.7 - download it now!

British Empire 1850-1900 requires Civilization III: Play The World expansion pack.

Download and unpack the archive to Scenarios folder inside Civilization III: Play The World installation folder.

Support

If you have any suggestions or comments, please visit the official Forum.

Author

British Empire 1850-1900 (World 1850-1900) was created by Christopher Sharp - the maker of World 2003, the most popular Civilization III scenario ever created.

Updates Log

Version 5.0

The last version until the new Play The World comes out, depends how quickly i get the new Civ3. Well this is the ultmiate Civ3 scenario; I have taken a great deal of time making drastic changes, which make the game more open and more countries and colonies, plus more realistic.

In this version i have made a lot of changes, like taking advantage of South America and the interests from Britain in that area. Built up the Caribian more with pirates and more colonies. Western countries with all their money can buy plenty of rubber to advance to World War 1 era. China can now build settlers, making it easy for China to emerge. I have made Britain more dominant but other countries have a much greater chance with more recources available via more colonies etc. well this rules.

Version 6.2

This features a new civ, The Dutch who are commercial and Expansion. Also some city names are updated and some other things to make the game more realistic. This is the best version yet, this is brilliant. It will soon be in saved game version.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/The_World_1850-1900version6.2.zip

Also now there is a saved game version which gets straight onto the game, just put this in the saved game folder and it will quickly get onto the game without waiting for it to come up.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Victorian-Empire.zip

Version 6.6

The new version, 6.6 is now out featuring new civs including the Dutch and the Zulus. Other changes aswell including cities. More challenges for colonial powers. Also new Battle Rules and other changes.

Version 6.6 SAVED GAMES (Thank you Azale)

Germany: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Germany,_6.7.zip

For people with the normal Civ 3 here is an original version, with cities updated, more updates to come including the new civs if I can.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/The_World_1850-1900original.zip

Can i thank Kitten of Chaos for the map. Also can i thank Stalin006. Who helped me. Please give me suggestions on how to improve it. This is a huge map. ok then. cya then

Two questions:

1. How long does it take to configure the scenario? I waited 10 minutes, and it only progressed to the "C" in "Configuring Scenario...."?

2. Why have you set the difficulty to deity? Is it too easy if it`s lower? Not everybody plays at deity.......;)

Originally posted by Athelstane
Two questions:

1. How long does it take to configure the scenario? I waited 10 minutes, and it only progressed to the "C" in "Configuring Scenario...."?

2. Why have you set the difficulty to deity? Is it too easy if it`s lower? Not everybody plays at deity.......;)

I agree it does take a hell of a long time for this scenario to load also y not give people some choice as to a different difficulty level thats the first thing I changed after I downloaded it

I made it deity cos otherwise it wouild be too easy. I thought people would agree. But i will change it. Oh yeah and you said it took a long time to get ready. I know this and will try to make it quicker. I will see if i can do anything for makiing it quicker.

For now on i would just wait for 10 mins and watch tv or something. Or another thing u can do is save it so that u can keep playing the start of the game and it hopefully takes less time then.

I will try to get screenshots and update it. This is gonna be a great scenario.

Can u guys give me some suggestions?

city names are quite funny :p
a city named sweden is located in norway :p
a city named finland is located in umm... quite wierd location :p
st.petersburg is in helsinki :p i would place it 2 tiles east, 1 tile se..
and prague in the center of poland? :D
minsk on the coast of black sea? :lol:
and so on...

the scenario is not bad but i would recommend consulting an atlas ;)

Do not worry it shall be ok and the cities shall be put in the correct possition. At the moment i am gonna put more regiments in and try to improve the playability and then iwill do the city names. Can anyone suggest any Norwegien cities?
I will see what i can do with St Petersburg.

This is gonna be the most realistic scenario yet.

You have placed Oslo in Bergen. And the city of Sweden, can be renamed to Narvik.

One more thing about the Scandinavian countries. In 1850-1900 Norway was in Union with Sweden, while Denmark was a country of it`s own. Denmark had the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland. I understand you can`t have two civilizations, thats too complex. But maybe you should rename it to Sweden? Or maybe Scandinavia...

The largest cities of Norway are as follow:
Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger, Drammen

I hope this helps:)

I could put another civ in if i wanted to, but that would be 13 civs hich is an unlucky number haha unless i put a small Zulu state in Africa which is really agressive towards Britain. I might do that. Thank you for your help on scandinavia i will take your suggestions in.

Can you give me some reasons why it should be Sweden and not Denmark? I might have to seperate the countries because both were and still are respectful nations.

Would 14 civs be ok? Please say if it would be ok, plus are the leaderhood names ok? Also do you guys like the regiment and ship aspect of the game.

ok then
cya then

I have updated it with the cities corrected. Can people give me ship names and infantry regiments for any of the empires i have created? Please this would make the game much more interesting and plus tell me if you want the zulus and the swedish and norweigen union in.
ok then
cya then

Originally posted by _Impreza_
Can you give me some reasons why it should be Sweden and not Denmark? I might have to seperate the countries because both were and still are respectful nations.

It would be most historically correct to separate Denmark and Sweden/Norway, but in the game those civilizations will be small. I think you should go for it. And the idea of the Zulu nation are a good one. It was first in the periode 1880-90 the english subdued the Zulu and Matabele Nations (I think, didn`t look it up).

I don`t really have any very good reasons for why it should be Sweden and not Denmark, but they hadn`t been united since 1523. They both played a minor role of the napoleon wars, where Denmark/Norway supported Napoleon only because Sweden supported England. At that time Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands belonged to Norway. In the peace talkings after the wars, Denmark had to give Norway to Sweden as a "thank you" from England. Denmark/Norway was at the losing side. But for some reason, the islands stayed with Denmark.
I don`t think either of the nations played an important role in the years 1850-1900. Denmark was attacked by Otto von Bismark and his Germany as a part of uniting Germany, but the countries lived mostly in peace and started to grow into the countries we know today.

IF you go for Sweden/Norway you should use Karl XV (king 1859-1872), Oscar II (1872-1907) or baron Louis De Geer (prime minister 1858-70 and 75-80). I think you should use Oscar II. The prime minister isn`t a good option, since he was only prime minister in Sweden, Norway had it`s own. But they had the same king. Do you need great leaders, too?

I`m afraid I can`t help you with ship names and infantry regiments, but if you want to make civilopedia that matches the game I can write those for you. Just give me a hint....

Making more civs would cause the game to be even slower. You have to decide wheter it is worth it. And I suggest just calling it Scandinavia, that would make it more powerful.

Well hmmmmmmm, its ur decision. Just i want everyone to tell me what they reackon should happen cos i think more civs would make the game more playable, hmmmmmmm. I dunno hmmmmmm i could always make 2 versions.

I will be working on the civilopedia soon, and i need people to either help me with them or write hem for me.

Also i need someone to make some leaderheads for me fitting the countries and install them if anyone can.

I will keep looking to make it more realistic and playable. I need to make this scenario the most realistic yet and make it a standard higher than the rest.

I only can do this with cooperation with you guys and by making every detail correct. Also i want to know if you guys think if the Netherlands should be in it. This would give Britain a reason to declare war as i should imagine the larger countries would invade it. Also i wanna know how much the long waiting time affects you guys that much. I need to know where to put the balance of the game between playability and realism. I might have to make 2 versions.

I am going to be very busy in the next few weeks and i need some people to help me with this project. If anyone can help please can they give me there hotmail address. This will only be the best scenario around if you guys cooperate with me and give me ideas.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME WITH THIS MOD REPLY AND GIVE ME A HOTMAIL ADDRESS.

ok then
Cya then

Hey there mate, I made some changes to your scenario in South America as follows:

1. Added Argentina as a civ
2. Added Brazil as a civ
(seeing as how South America was empty, and these 2 were independant countries at the time, even thought to be emerging world powers, Argentina was very wealthy as was the Kingdom of Brazil, thought **keep in mind i didnt add roads/rail and irrigation on purpose, since I wanted to convey the idea of them being "developing" countries, or, umm, "emerging powers". so they would need a bit of work to catch up :)
it would add some flavour down there)
3. Added the alot of capitol and larger-eque cities to the rest of south america, in the form of spanish colonies, or, "Spanish commonwealth".
4. Moved British Guyana, Suriname, and French Guyyana a bit to be more realistic.
5. Added some european colonies to the caribbean
6. Added Belize next to mexico in the form aof a british colony
7. Changed the city names of Canada to be better realistic.
8. Added the french polynesian colonies off australia, the british are just powerful there.
9. Added Hawaii and the Phillipines to the USA as colonies/territories.
10. re-activated Settlers, seeing as how the world is still not, at this time, fully explored.

I didnt touch anything else on the main African/euro/asian landmass, it all seems to be ok to me.

Hope you dont mind, as i didnt ask permission or anything, you can even download it and make some more changes yerself seeing as how i know i have not remotely "perfected" it hehe

I really love this scenario, and congrats on making a real scenario and not just a MOD. this how i like my scenarios. What I have done is set the human player to Mexico in one game and Argentina in another game through the editor. Right now my in my Mexico game, I have claimed Cuba from spain, and Belize from Britain, built up the infrastructure and am getting ready to retake Texas and California heheh. In the Argentina game, I have libertaed Uruguay, Chile and Bolivia, with plans to amke an alliance with Brazil to keep spain occupied in South America while i plan to take Spain proper :)

Anyways hope you have fun with the changes i made.

Attachments

• 1850-1900.zip
    98.6 KB · Views: 539
I think your scenario is great, but it still needs some improvement.

First of all, the map is slightly wrong, because there's some kind of strait in northern Mexico, when actually it's the widest part of the country.

You can put Mexico City about two squares south, and rename South California as La Paz, Mexican America as Santa Fe, and Mexican Port as Campeche add a city in the Pacific ocean.

And the leader name is wrong, you could put Antonio de Santa Anna or Benito Juarez instead, those were the most important leaders of the era.

And finally, these are the names of some mexican military leaders of the era: Mariano Escobedo, Ignacio Zaragoza, Porfirio Diaz.

;)

Ok then, Ragof email me at WRCSUB@hotmail.com and we will see what we can do to make the scenario better, i like what you have done, the reason why i did not fill up all the colonies was too not slow it down too much uknow. I kinda rushed the making cities and had to use my own knowlege etc with colonies etc so i welcome corrections, i welcome people giving me new ideas aswell, the reason why i never added settlers was cos i did not want any historical parts to be wrong as it progressed but i guess it makes it better on the playability side to keep them.

Luis G , could you please email me also at WRCSUB@hotmail.com with the correction of the map of Mexico so i can correct it and make it more realistic making it more interesting for you guys. Thank you for the suggestions and i will take them all in.

Can i also have some feedback from you guys on whether you would like more ships named and more units named after actual real units and ships from the era?

I will work my hardest to make you guys have the best realistic civ experience anyone has ever had and i will try my very best until you have that experience, oh yeah also do u guys like the idea of being Britain lets you pass ships through the Suez Canal?hehe i found it fun that i actually could get to India quickly for once.

Well anyways thanks rasof and Luis G im just gonna do a bit more work on the scenario,
Ok then
cya then

Have you got an Atlas. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Because if you don't you might want to get one or borrow one. Because placing cities in their correct spot on a map isn't really that difficult when you have an Atlas.

When I play a scenario I like if the city names are correct and placed correctly. Some tips for cities:You have put Drammen in Finland, this is WAY OFF!! And you should place Stockholm in Sweden instead of Malmo. In Australia you have put Auckland which is suppose to be north in New Zealand. These are just some of the misplaced and misnamed cities on the map. Just find an Atlas and get it right. Good luck :)

FYI - This was the time period Prussia went from being one of the major continental powers to becoming the MAIN continental power. They overwhelmed French, Danish and Austrian armies during the 1860s with ease, ensuring German unification in the 1870s. Their speed and efficiency with mobilization surprised all of Europe (took them seven weeks to beat Austria...about 2 years to beat all of France capturing hundred of thousands of soldiers). Britain remained neutral to them during this time period (as did Russia). Italy sided with them against Austria. They should be the main European military opponent (land based).

Austrian/Italian ship names (ca 1866) - http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/bunker/5294/visinfo.html

Here is a pretty good link to some war information during this time period...check out the Franco-Prussian section and if you click on the Battle of Worth, 1870 link, you can get alot of named Regiments and Divisions:
http://www.hillsdale.edu/dept/History/ (click on Military documents link)

Top Bottom