The World of Steam - Scenario

Hemrawc

Chieftain
"It is a time of civility, and a time of exploration. It is the age of enlightenment, and the age of ignorance. A new era in the world is dawning, an era that will see technological accomplishments that exceed our wildest dreams."
Credit: Sarsstock

This Civ2 MPGE scenario (currently in development, now at Beta v0.4) incorporates early science fiction such as those of Jules Verne, HG Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard, and Sax Rohmer as well as inspiration from early cinema and the historical mysteries applied to the setting of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is heavily inspired by the original World of Jules Verne scenario as well as from Sarsstock's post on the Apolyton forums back in February of 2005. Still found HERE. I borrowed ideas directly from this forum thread.

The game is designed to play out like a Victorian adventure novel where scientific advances and exploration are prioritized. The player is reward for exploration and certain event texts will give hints where to venture. The ultimate goal is to send a team of explorers to the moon. This is done through a "Moon Canon," and instead of a space shuttle, the nation must build a shell to be shot out of the cannon.

I am calling on anyone interested in play-testing this "Open Beta" of sorts. I would appreciate any feedback and advice. I am a novice Civ2 scenario creator. If willing, please post responses in this thread. Also please look at the readme before playing. There are known issues in the game. Thank you for your interest.

Welcome to the fabulous world of STEAM!

****SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATED VERSION****

Last edited:
Sounds very promising - I'm happy to take a look. The Jules Verne scenario was always my favorite with the base game so I'm looking forward to seeing what you came up with. As Curt suggested, you could upload it in the forum or even to civfanatics in general.

Thank you to all who have taken a look at the scenario. I now have a new version with a few improvements. Please see the attached .zip and the readme for more details. I tried to attached the new scenario file to the original post but I was getting an error message saying my content was "spam-like or contains inappropriate elements."

One of the biggest bugs that still remains is that the City.txt is not working properly. So newly built cities will have ill-fitting names. Any suggestions on fixing this or any feedback in general is welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 346
Hello Folks!

I know it's been a while but I have made some updates. I finally fixed the City.txt file thanks to an old unofficial Civ2 guide published back in 1997. There are also several other changes since my last post. Please see the readme for further details.
I appreciate any feedback from the Civilization pros that hang out here.
Big thank you to "Critical Failure" of TigerClaw Radio who tried out the scenario and spoke about it on his podcast.
Stay safe!

Attachments

• STEAM v0.7.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 148
I respect fresh ideas by new creators. Welcome @Hemrawc , your scenario idea rocks!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
If you need graphics or anything, just ask.

Thank you Tanelorn and CurtSibling for your support. Maybe one day I can convert this to a ToT game.
Noob question: does ToT fix any of the path finding or AI issues that plagued CivII MGE?
One of the problems I have noticed with this scenario is that the "Exotics" (essentially an event civ not to be played by human players) sometimes will not build units or buildings with any logic. For instance they will continue to try to build a barracks despite a barracks already in the city. When play testing I have gone into their city and changed it to build a unit designated for "attack" then when I turn over the game to the AI again they simply will build an endless supply of these "attack" units that it fortifies in the city.

Top Bottom