Things in this game that annoy you to no end

The AI always seems to backdoor settlers into the most useless plots of unclaimed land within MY empire, messing up my borders. So many wars have started because of this. In one instance, I dominated a large continent, and noticed my friend AI's settler near my north pole. There was ONE SQUARE of snow outside my cultural boundaries on this continent.
I realized with horror the AI's intent, but had no saves where I could cancel open borders that wouldn't send him straight to that square! "Santas workshop" was indeed founded in my lands by the unfathomably baffling AI.

I actually quit a game the other night because of an AI move like that. No other reason than that. My AI "friend" sandwiched a city on my southern border between 2 of my cities. There was ROOM eleswhere on the continent and no visible resources within reach of this city. There weren't even any special resources to try and "steal" from my cities with a border -culture flip.

Too make this even more grating, another AI plopped a "Santa's Workshop" type city on my northern border. WTF? :eek: What I have to wonder is how the AI's can even maintain a good tech rate with these popintless cities draining resources?

How's this: Joao (my new archenemy) pulled a backdoor routine like this early on in my last game. Of course this means war: I razed his city, and pillaged half his empire to the stone age before suing for peace. A few turns later he DOWs on me; I easily repel his stack, but don't have a huge offensive army yet, so I go a-pillaging again, and raze a border city of his. Peace again. The very next turn Joao begins demands for religios conversion (no), civics change (NO!), and tech assistance (GUNPOWDER???? NO!!!).

After that he DOWs again!? I really wanted to be a good neighbor and live in peace, but by that point, the big machine was ready to eat some land! :trouble:

I echo pretty much every above gripe, but specific to diplomacy: its the AI with their ridiculous and obscene demands at every turn of the game. Make me an offer that I may actually take you up on!! Stop demanding tribute when you have archers to my rifles!! Stop asking to trade iron or horses or oil for banannas!!! :wallbash: :crazyeye: Instead of asking me to go to war for no reason other than a stupid + modifier, bribe me to war with cash and techs!!

:aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

There, I feel better. :p

Well its not "to no end"; but it does annoy me. When exploring early near an AI unit; the AI unit often seems to move along the same path and one move ahead of me. That's not so bad, except that every time I move I have to click a box:

<question> Are you sure you want to attack Ceasar's twice promoted archer on the forested hill with your unpromoted warrior?</question>
<response 1>Sure! I just can't get enough of those praetorian visits</response 1>
<response 2>Ummm, for the eighth time, NO!</response 2>

Heathen

PS: Does anyone know of a way to move that doesn't assume you want to attack in this situation?

I love that idea! That would be such a huge help to those island cities with little production.

Speaking of: My island city that took 1,000+ years to get to size 6 and build three buildings gets surprised attacked and I lose it for only one turn before capturing it back. Now it's a size 1 with no buildings?!?!?! Why would the invaders burn the lighthouse? :mad:

Because the light was keeping them up at night.

I actually quit a game the other night because of an AI move like that. No other reason than that. My AI "friend" sandwiched a city on my southern border between 2 of my cities. There was ROOM eleswhere on the continent and no visible resources within reach of this city. There weren't even any special resources to try and "steal" from my cities with a border -culture flip.

Too make this even more grating, another AI plopped a "Santa's Workshop" type city on my northern border. WTF? :eek: What I have to wonder is how the AI's can even maintain a good tech rate with these popintless cities draining resources?

Yeah, i hate that too. Honeslty, i don't feel bad about just going into world builder and deleting that city. I'm doing the other civ a favor anyway.

Yeah, i hate that too. Honeslty, i don't feel bad about just going into world builder and deleting that city. I'm doing the other civ a favor anyway.

I've never done that. (how do you access the world builder anyway?) But as I said, I just quit. Its not that it would have been too hard to play, its just annoying. Did the AI decide there was no more room elsewhere? (there was). I've been told the AI can't see resources it hasn't the tech for, so there's no reason to build those cities.

I know the AI doen't have the capability to think, but when I don't have room for anymore viable cities I concentrate on perfecting the ones I have. Which leads me to this annoyance....you have no more room to expand, but you keep getting the popup to build more settlers. WHERE? :confused: Theres no more room and we don't have the tech to sail to another landmass!

On the subject of AI putting cities in annoying places, I don't seem to find it as bad as it was in Civ III. Maybe just me....

Right, my list (some repeats/reiterations of the above)

1. When one warlike AI civ repeatedly attacks you while your scientific rival avoids war and zooms ahead, while you churn out nothing but soldiers.

2. Random events destorying monastries after SM. As above that's just wrong. No random event should cause irreversible damage.

3. AI demanding a city on your continent to make peace. In my last game (see point 1) I was at war with Catherine for about 50 years because I had my cosy little continent that she kept invading (while Hammurabi built every wonder two turns before me), and she would only make peace in return for a city of mine that she conquered for one turn.

4. As above x 100 - automated trade workers misbehaving. If anyone tells me I should micromanage them again in response to this I will destroy the internet. IF A WORKER HAS BEEN AUTOMATED TO ONLY BUILD TRADE AND I'VE TICKED 'DO NOT BUILD OVER OLD IMPROVEMENTS' THEY SHOULD JUST BUILD TRADE. Not forts on my oilwells or anything else. Just trade.

5. As above, meeting someone who is already annoyed, but for no reason.

6. This is the big one for me:

I LAUNCH MY SPACESHIP, THEN AI LAUNCHES AFTER I HAVE FINISHED MY TURN = AI GETS THERE FIRST.

W. T. F.

4. As above x 100 - automated trade workers misbehaving. If anyone tells me I should micromanage them again in response to this I will destroy the internet. IF A WORKER HAS BEEN AUTOMATED TO ONLY BUILD TRADE AND I'VE TICKED 'DO NOT BUILD OVER OLD IMPROVEMENTS' THEY SHOULD JUST BUILD TRADE. Not forts on my oilwells or anything else. Just trade.

5. As above, meeting someone who is already annoyed, but for no reason.

6. This is the big one for me:

I LAUNCH MY SPACESHIP, THEN AI LAUNCHES AFTER I HAVE FINISHED MY TURN = AI GETS THERE FIRST.

W. T. F.

Forts in BTS are better than oil wells or other resource gathering improvements. They not only gather the resource, but offer protection for the square as well. The auto-AI should build them outside your cities' fat crosses.

The AI always has reasons why they don't like you. If you met their enemy first and traded with them, they'll be unhappy with you for trading with an enemy. Check the info.

Spaceships in BTS don't all travel at the same speed. A later ship built with a faster set of components (more engines, less structure) will arrive first. By my experimenting, I think it will rarely pay to build the second engine.

If it is a tie, though, that is hard to handle. The AI may win ties for spaceships, just as with wonder building.

If it is a tie, though, that is hard to handle. The AI may win ties for spaceships, just as with wonder building.
Humans, as team 1 , always win the ties....

What happens sometimes is that AI finishes his version of the wonder/victory enabler in his turn ( that is after the humans and seen for us as IBT ( in between turns )... that makes that humans only see the wonder built in the next turn.....

Losing a monastery doesn't mean you can't build missionaries anymore... you can go organised religion for a bit. Drastic measure though. You don't even need a state religion under organised religion (you don't get the hammer bonus to buildings in that case though).

I can't stand when the a whole bunch of Civs badger me for a particular tech. They won't offer a single thing in trade, even though it's the new tech that gives me an edge.

NO! I will NOT just give away my advantage! I'm no Jimmy Carter! :mad:

And constantly badgering me for open borders. I don't want no refugees and hobos and carpet baggers streaming across my borders. They'll trample my crops and stampede my people and rape my cattle! :sad:

Agree. In the same line, somebody please change the mechanism so when you click on a stack, get one unit to fight, please remain centering on this stack instead of shifting to my worker 2000 miles away.

I'm pretty sure this only happens if you have fortified the stack.

EDIT: LOL at the above "Blazing Saddles" reference..."You said rape twice" ... "I like rape!" LOL

After the United Nations is built the AI passes a resolution then tries to pass it again. GRRR

The same tile getting destroyed by natural causes. I might as well leave one worker on the tile for the whole game. GRRR

Allies asking to gtw with their enemy when I'm at war with someone else.

One more, but I don't think it could ever be fixed: Your worst enemy is the vassal to your best ally. GRRRR

For those of you who believe that this game is any different to Civ3 in AI managment get this.

Last night I started a game playing Hannibal. Part of my strategy was to build stonehenge to take advantage easily of his unique building the monument. To start with I went for the normal techs - bronze working and AH. Then moved onto Myst. I then started building the wonder - at about 1860BC with 1 turn to go the AI got there ahead of me !@@##$. Rather than continue on with my strategy - I went back 20 turns and tried again, changing the order of my teching. This time I got to 2160BC with 2 turns to go and the AI got there ahead of me. So..... I went back again and relaoded and changed my tech order, this time with 1 turn to go at 2380BC it got there ahead of me. In other words the logic was just not going to let me get it no matter how I did it.

There are just so many examples of where the AI just makes things happen, it is really taking the enjoyment out of it for me at the moment.

Get stone first?

I never plan on getting wonders (although I always try and build Great Lib).

If I have stone I go for Pyramids.

Otherwise, Am I bothered?

Well, if you don't have stone or start with mysticism (Hannibal doesn't), it's a risky strat, may net you a bit of gold though.

Build monuments instead.

For those of you who believe that this game is any different to Civ3 in AI managment get this.

Last night I started a game playing Hannibal. Part of my strategy was to build stonehenge to take advantage easily of his unique building the monument. To start with I went for the normal techs - bronze working and AH. Then moved onto Myst. I then started building the wonder - at about 1860BC with 1 turn to go the AI got there ahead of me !@@##$. Rather than continue on with my strategy - I went back 20 turns and tried again, changing the order of my teching. This time I got to 2160BC with 2 turns to go and the AI got there ahead of me. So..... I went back again and relaoded and changed my tech order, this time with 1 turn to go at 2380BC it got there ahead of me. In other words the logic was just not going to let me get it no matter how I did it.

There are just so many examples of where the AI just makes things happen, it is really taking the enjoyment out of it for me at the moment.

Hi

Maybe the game was just trying to b nice and save you from frustration that would have happened if after spending all that time to get stonehenge realizing hannibal's UB is a unique harbor not a unique monument :)

Kaytie

Hi

Maybe the game was just trying to b nice and save you from frustration that would have happened if after spending all that time to get stonehenge realizing hannibal's UB is a unique harbor not a unique monument :)

Kaytie

:lol: :lol: Hilarity. And all a reloader deserves.

I have a question about unit selection... How do you "unselect" a unit... More specifically in this situation:

I often accidentally select a fortified unit in a town. Now, I see that green button flashing in the corner and know that there are more units to move somewhere on the map. So I want to go to the next available ready unit, but I'm stuck on my selected FORTIFIED unit in my city that I don't want to unfortify. It seems the only way to skip that unit is to unfortify/refortify it (doesn't that make it lose a defense bonus?), or to press space bar, in which case it becomes unfortified NEXT TURN and is ready to move again (argh). I just want to leave it alone and go to my next green guy!

Top Bottom