Third time lucky

mystyfly

Knight of Cydonia
So, here we are again.

Settings should be as usual, I think. Leader is Suleiman.

Roster:
mysty - up
ras
Thrar
bbp
lymond
shyuhe

View attachment us BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Lots of forests. We start with agri and wheel, I think AH > BW is fine.

Sweet. Suleiman with food and forests! We might actually win this one. :p

Seeing our past performances, I would hold the optimism a bit :lol:

Settling on PH is appealing.

That's one less tile capable of hosting another food resource and one less hill (and one more turn)... though we might have access to an earlier strategic resource (tile in the east). I am puzzled. The PH is definatly good with the imp trait, but the PH isn't on the right direction (closer to water = more room for annoying AIs).

I guess I am fine with both positions :D

AH -> BW seems a given no?

I'm in favor of the PH.

There are two unforested grasslands east, with some luck we'll get a resource there. The BFC fits nicely into the coastline; while it's likely one tile further from our opponents, SIP means the land to the east is hard to make use of between the cap's BFC and the coast.

Losing one turn isn't too bad, the benefits far outweigh that. We lose one 2F 1H 10C on the first turn, but gain 1H per turn and 4F from farming the corn one turn faster (the worker can start on his first turn). We will lag behind in research for 1 turn for a while, but since we don't need to rush any techs before we can make up for it, it won't be a big deal imo.
For early expansion, the extra hammer should give us a production advantage of several turns by the time we start settling more cities.

^^ I guess we will get one water tile but I globally agree with the benefits in terms of production of the first settlers. Nice catch on hooking up the corn faster (grr silly forests)!

aaah....the sg series with no contextual theme continues!

I hate losing the hill, but SOPH looks decent and a strat resource to the east looks high prob. I'm fine with SIP though. there is a chance we actually setal on metal...

How 'bout BW>AH with a proviso that AH is debatable after more land is revealed?

mysty - is that dark Blue Marble graphics or something different you use? I use BM too but yours looks quite a bit different.

I would prefer settling in place. Plains tile sucks when worked early, plain hill doesnt, and it looks like we have the food to work some mines. And we might settle on a metal. And we settle in a less favourable position considering land grab. And there are more likely to be more resources to the north than to the south as coast is close there.

I definitely prefer AH first, getting those food sources up ASAP is a priority. If we have horses we're fine, else we might consider archery - I'd rather play one safe, don't want to die to barbs yet again :p The road to BW is a long one...

@lymond: I have no clue what kind of mods I have installed (not using my usual pc) or what kind of config I have - like "why the hell do I have that numpad??" :lol: The name Blue Marble rings a bell though, may be it :dunno:

Oh and is that "setal on metal" intentional? :D

Oh and is that "setal on metal" intentional? :D

ha...yes, of course...although I'm a terrible homophone typo-ist. "setal" is pretty obscure for a typo though

I think that numpad thing is an option actually

Blue Marble is a pretty common graphic upgrade mod that has been around for a long time and does not conflict with anything - just installs directly to custom assets. So it's possible you might have installed it years ago. I don't play without it as I find the normal graphics blindingly distracting.

ha...yes, of course...although I'm a terrible homophone typo-ist. "setal" is pretty obscure for a typo though

:lol: I didn't even notice as it's close to how I say it :sad:

---

about techs: I didn't do the math but Ah can avoid us the lose of worker turns. Even if BW first avoids this problem, two food resources aren't a luxury.
I agree with Shyuhe (not about the wine), we should move the warrior and discuss then. Though I would go SW myself, to see if a move 2S would bring something.

edit: oh and lymond, I think the hidden contextual theme of the serie is to get trashed with style ;)

I agree with moving the warrior. We have to see if PH invalidates a seafood. Otherwise, I prefer PH, as stated, but won't complain too much about SIP.

AH first, for sure, followed by Mining.

Not a sign-up, but I am dying of laughter at the thread's title. :lol:

It's hard to tell from the image, but if you guys are talking about 1SE being the Plains Hills square, then I would tend to think that you'd mess up the goodness of a possible Seafood location in the south-east by settling there. I suppose that moving the Warrior 1SE will tell more of the story.

Moving SW didn't reveal anything justifying a settler move.

Edit: x-post with dhoom and bbp :D Loaded the thread when soccer match started and now moved during break. Ras' SW was last thing posted so I went ahead with that :p

However, even with SIP those coastal city would be pretty crappy. It'll get like 3 land tiles that it doesn't have to share with the capital; even with seafood it couldn't be more than a filler city. Not even worth settling without seafood imo.

I'd still go for the PH even if we miss out on a crab or two, seeing as these won't be part of a useful city either way.

1-2 Hills squares that the capital won't use, overlap with either a Corn or a Sheep to be able to share, and overlap with several Riverside squares to grow Bureaucratic Cottages or even just to work Plains River Farms in a City with low corruption... all it takes is one Seafood.

But, I'm not the one playing the map, so do whatever you want.

My main issue with SOPH is losing the hill itself. The initial production boosts is always nice, but I always at least like having 3 hills around unless there are obviously hammer resources like elephants. We may have a strat resource to make up for this but it is never certain, and if we end up actually settling on copper/iron the hit would be even worse. And while the food situation is certainly not bad, I don't think it is good enough to make up for the loss in hammers.

When do you ever work a PH mine? Your worker should be improving food in the second city by that time, and we get a river GH by moving. PH looks best to me - that's 2t off the first worker + 1t movement. And it compounds quickly with tiles like wet corn. My worry is losing a fish, and I would've liked warrior 1SE for that reason. Settling on PH will invalidate cities all along that coast W to S, it seems. I'm fine with either, but I vote PH if it's down to a vote.

Top Bottom