this game is boring

Quit with personal attacks! It is offensive and it contributes nothing to the critique of C5. If you want a better game, direct your feedback toward the game....

This post is only valid if you went to Stanford or an equivalent.

My problem with this game is that it is missing a lot of features with little to no explanation. As people already said, the game feels rushed and incomplete. I knew that within the first two hours of playing this game.

Sure, a lot of people were a bit disappointed when CiIV came out, but it greatly expanded upon it's innovative features. I got that game in 2006 when it already had been years since I last played the predecessor. It took me a little while to adjust, and by then I had already gotten the civics and the religion feature down.

Both of those have been completely removed. The interface has been torn apart and rebuilt, so what we're getting is a flawed system that is missing important hotkeys and vital shortcuts. The only thing I like is no more stacks of armies approaching your defenseless little city. But as it turns out, that wasn't much of a problem.

Firaxis should of known better. CiV had a lot of potential, and it was clear by the time BTS was released. Franchises should look back at what made them great, build and expand, and remove features that were deemed too frustrating or useless. CiV reworks everything and tries to build from the ground up, with failed results.

However, as another person said, fault should also be placed on Take-Two Interactive. As a publisher, I get the dire feeling that they wanted Firaxis to ship the game out when it was still in beta testing and needed tweaks to make the game more workable for the customer. I still see a lot of bugs they need to sort through, even if it's just the original.

I just hate it when companies pull stuff like this on us.

Previous post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9843719&postcount=162

Okay, Ricardo. I'm really warming up to you. You have an inherent wisdom that I really like.

Latest post:

Then maybe you should stick to judging the product instead of the other human beings. Although your judgement is really already in question, considering your standards on which you judge people.

Curious. Where did John Carmack go to college and did he earn a degree before bringing us Doom, one of the most revolutionary computer games in history?

I was wondering about this, even without the additional reasoning you provided. But thanks for adding to the list and clearing it up for us.

Wow, this really does say so much about you. I guess when you don't really have any actual point or logic, you simply go back to the brainless "old faithful" argument that really has no logic behind it to begin with. Throwing a "boy" in there is a nice touch, though. It's almost as if its in your nature to try to inflict your ego onto others in each post you make.

Cover up. Your narcissism is showing again.

Moderator Action: Do not attack other players with your post, attack their arguments only

Don't you despise hypocrits? I do. There is perhaps nothing more insidious than hypocresy. I am harsh sometimes, many times perhaps, but at least I am frank, straightforward and honest.

See you around, boy :D

rjg

Moderator Action: Any more off-topic or posts about other players will lead to this thread being closed and server infractions for the offending party's

i for one love civ 5,it's way more user friendly.I caught on in a few games and adjusted quickly to the new style.I like the titles better and the way units work.having one unit per tile makes for new and refreshing strategy's .early game war's are just as fun as late game.city states throws in the 3rd world feeling and adds something new to think about.Not just the other civs.

i like it so far, looking forward to any expansions .

one thing i don't get is why we need to play it through steam,but i already have a steam account for some of my FPS games so no biggie.

hopefully we get an expansion pack next year. I'm still not feeling it. Maybe they can bring religions back. Its just not fun building stuff anymore.

hopefully we get an expansion pack next year. I'm still not feeling it. Maybe they can bring religions back. Its just not fun building stuff anymore.

The question is, would you be prepared to pay another $30-40 U.S for an expansion pack that may not add anything that "fixes" the "current problems" with Civ V? I put them in quotes as some may not feel that there needs to be any fixes to Civ V.

Ok, if they added religions, would that be enough to bring you back into the "I'm a fan" club of Civ V? For me, I feel they need to make the product more reminiscent of Civilization - I don't feel the addictiveness of Civ V as I did in practically every other version before it. Maybe the only way to add this is with Civ VI - start from the ground up and develop new ideas. I don't know.

Firaxis have made me think about purchasing their games now. Before, I knew they'd be addictive, fun games so just bought them without thinking. Now, their new ideas about what makes a game fun and addictive don't strike me as being compatible with what I think is fun and addictive. Sorry Firaxis, but you're now in the same heap with 99% of other developers.

Firaxis have made me think about purchasing their games now. Before, I knew they'd be addictive, fun games so just bought them without thinking. Now, their new ideas about what makes a game fun and addictive don't strike me as being compatible with what I think is fun and addictive. Sorry Firaxis, but you're now in the same heap with 99% of other developers.
I feel exactly the same, which adds to my sorrow - Firaxis was the only name in the gaming industry I had trust in, now it's gone.

I'm that sort of old-gamer person who grew up on playing Civilization 1 (and Pool of Radiance a-la SSI - if you know what I mean). I was a great fan of Sid Meyer, didn't even know who he is, but perceived him as legendary person creating a legendary game (I always thought he programmed it himself, is it true?). Since then I've played Alpha Centaury and Civ 4, all perfect games despite my initial thought that Civ I cannot be surpassed (I skipped everything in-between though). So, I was very surprised with my own experience after playing Civ 5 about 50 hours or so. I mean, I was surprised to find, that the famous "just one more turn" feeling has suddenly gone... I usually have television going in the background while playing civ4 games sitting in my bed, but the game is so immersive that I end up unable to even look up from the computer or eat my dinner and end up playing until morning comes. With Civ 5, the farther I got the more bored I've got. Then I've ended up watching the television longer and longer, including even commercials and TV shop, then I've fell asleep at 11 pm. Rarely did I fall asleep so early, except when I came home drunk, and since then I simply do not have the mental power to play again (Back to Elder Scrolls!). I didn't read through the whole thread, but I enjoy reading it better than the game itself :) When I'm done reading I'll add my own concrete concerns. On the positive side, I'm open to believing that some patches and expansions may completely overhaul this game and make wonders...

Edit: oh it's my first post, but I am actually a great fan of Civfanatics community. Fall Further simply Rules! I'll get back to it or try Rise of Mankind.

Don't listen to the propaganda here, you'll find all the game elements that you like in Civ5
You're telling an empire builder that he will find all the elements he likes in Civ5 ? :eek:
That's practically criminal disinformation.

You're telling an empire builder that he will find all the elements he likes in Civ5 ? :eek:
That's practically criminal disinformation.

I'm an empire builder, and I find all the elements that I like in Civ V...I think IV: BTS is still the stronger game, but V is good too.

I'm an empire builder, and I find all the elements that I like in Civ V...I think IV: BTS is still the stronger game, but V is good too.
Well, you're far too lenient then. And anyway, you still point the main thing : Civ4 is better for an empire builder, so it's pointless to buy the 5.

I agree 100% This game is boring but has a huge potential for improvement.

Yeah, when you start out with what I consider a 2 star rating at best, you always have "potential".

I rushed out to buy this game the day it came out. After about 3 days of playing it, I went back to EQ2 and have not played it since. They had a winner in the CIV4 model, this is like a whole new (much more boring) game with far too much missing, and military way over emphasized at the expense of... almost everything.

Reading through the whole thread I concluded that the reasons behind this game being a Total Boredom has been very well explained so there is not too much to be added. I should though somewhat agree with Civ 5 fans: that if you force a new kind of a way of thinking into your own mind and onto yourself then you will probably start to enjoy the "innovative features". Probably some meditation could help as well... But I, for one, don't want to do this, since I buy games to enjoy them without first having to learn how to enjoy them. The game is empty and without a soul as correctly put by several here. Although to be more precise, the game is only boring for those who buys this game for the genre it belongs to. Because that not all people like all genres or types of games, it is just quite natural to expect from them - , long time gamers, who believe that a certain company manufactures certain types of games under a certain brand and game title, - to expect a game of the type they like to play. On the other side, to be sincere, it's hard to imagine a completely new game which outperforms Civ4. The outperforming should have happened, IMO, in the fields of visualization and graphics. In my experience, however, this graphical upgrade was at most minor. As several posters mentioned (and adding some of my own):
1) The look and feel of the visuals is static. There is a lack of animation that made Civ4 so vivid and gave the feeling of a living and a breathing world.
2) The cities look all the same. You do not have the impression that they are growing. The city has no interior representation, it's just a zoomed in perspective of the land framed with control panels. Although not present in Civ4 as well, this would have been a logical field for improvements. And it was there in Civ 1!
3) The improvements on the lands are unremarkable and IMO inferior to those in Civ4.
4) The human armies have too much troops, which makes them small and unremarkable. I could barely distinguish between them. IMO they should have remained of a symbolic quantity, since 10 troops are as unrealistic as 3 or 4 for an army.
5) The zoom level seems to be same as in Civ4 or inferior.
So where is the praised "improved graphics"? The leaders, ok, but after you've seen them they get boring and just increase the load time of the diplomacy screen.
PS: And I am all for complete removal of City States and the fifth generation "Innovative RPG" aspect. Or create something similar, just not this. It is very wrong... I love RPG but it feels very odd and irritating in this game.

Its amazing !!! :eek:

Some say try my MOD others a PATCH WILL FIX IT and others an EXPANSION WILL FIX IT....

the game is boring, unfinished, untested, unpolished...

and i have PAYED 59€ for the game with the extra content.

AND NOW I SHOULD WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO FINISH THE GAME!!!!

LOL

AMAZING...

did i mention that CIV V AI should be renamed to CIV V AS (ARTIFICIAL STUPIDITY)

did i mention that CIV V AI should be renamed to CIV V AS (ARTIFICIAL STUPIDITY)
Should be Artificial Stupidity Supreme. Abbreviate that yourself ;)

Don't be surprised luis, industry moguls are breeding us consumers for decades to gobble up easy-to-make turds with a smile, using various tools at their disposal to convince us that turd is a new cocoa. No wonder that nowadays whenever ANYTHING is done there'll be people happy about it:

Because it could be worse. Because it's fun regardless. Because you don't have to think too much. Because it is WRONG to expect quality and that proves that you're a bigot. Because it didn't cost much and if you say it did than you're poor and I'm rich so I'm better than you. Because it's normal that some things don't work the way they should. Because good things come to those who wait.

All of the above are industry slogans repeated and put into our faces to make us into sheep with wallets. And it works, I bet that some would argue that some/all of that "Because..." sentences are valid, and if you don't think like that then you must be some conspiracy theory loonie.

Like great Bill Hicks once said:

"Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary ******s bang their f****** skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do as we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"

:(

Should be Artificial Stupidity Supreme. Abbreviate that yourself ;)
(

Funny, because I was thinking how to reach that very same abbreviation (because it is the best definition of the joke that the civ5 algorithms are), but the only way that came to my mind was something like Artificial Shafer's Stupidity... :D

Because it could be worse. Because it's fun regardless. Because you don't have to think too much. Because it is WRONG to expect quality and that proves that you're a bigot. Because it didn't cost much and if you say it did than you're poor and I'm rich so I'm better than you. Because it's normal that some things don't work the way they should. Because good things come to those who wait.

Now this is worth pure gold...

You just defined the civ5's targeted mass market, while at the same time defining one of the viruses that is killing western civilization: mediocrity.

The other virus, of course, is political correctness.

Top Bottom