Thoughts on the New Map Types

I just found this in the code for terra:
-- Generate continental fractal layer and examine the largest landmass. Reject
-- the result until the largest landmass occupies 58% or less of the total land.

So we could probably increase the % needed for the largest landmass, but it would increase the time for map generation.
Setting it very high might result in endless map generation (as no attempt would qualify).

Then again, it's not a problem with the map script as far as I can see. It seems good as is, it even allows sailing from "atlantic" to "pacific" most of the time.
And it definitively will place CS in the old world if there's enough space.

All we need would be larger maps. 8 civs + 12 CS on a huge map comes close to perfection IMHO (judging from revealing the map on turn1, not actual playtime).

I am curious to hear if Twisted is a better representation of a globe than the current standard maps. Anyone?

My post was actually a reaction to your picture :)
Yes and I was saying what is your opinion as you are asking others.
I restarted 5 times on the map, all in the corners, it has been suggested there is not enough sea without sight of land.
Regardless, it is a fun Kupe map for exploring

I just want to say "bravo" to the team. These scripts are awesome. I've been craving more map options and they just give us all of these for free.

I don't even use modded map scripts anymore!

Twisted is not what I thought. One pole in the middle and one on the 4 corners. You cannot navigate through any of the map edges but you can get circumnavigation getting to both ends.
View attachment 534515
That’s disappointing. I was hoping to cross at the horizontal edges. But it makes sense I suppose, since they’ve never really allowed vertical wrapping, and theoretically, you should be able to cross N/S border just as easily as the E/W border near the corner pole, but not at the middle of the map, if it was a sphere.

Yes and I was saying what is your opinion as you are asking others.
I restarted 5 times on the map, all in the corners, it has been suggested there is not enough sea without sight of land.
Regardless, it is a fun Kupe map for exploring

Well, on this specific forum I would expect that we have several members with PhD's in Cartography so I naturally assumed that any opinion I made public would be immediately put down with science and facts ;)

I made the post because the screenshot seemed to be more correct with regards to distances closer to the north pole. However I also suspect that distances near the south pole are completely warped. So maybe the current standard maps are the best compromise. I wonder if they will ever try a globe in a future iteration of Civ.

Also circumnavigation should be recoded to be a circular FOV around the northern pole instead of just reaching the sides which seems like nonsense

Quick question, hoping someone can help

I am playing primordial on disaster level 4 and have noticed a lot more volcanoes but not necessarily more eruptions. Does each volcano have an independent chance to erupt or is there a global eruption chance and it then picks a volcano to erupt?

It could be I am playing on a huge map and still have about half the map to explore

Well, on this specific forum I would expect that we have several members with PhD's in Cartography so I naturally assumed that any opinion I made public would be immediately put down with science and facts ;)

I made the post because the screenshot seemed to be more correct with regards to distances closer to the north pole. However I also suspect that distances near the south pole are completely warped. So maybe the current standard maps are the best compromise. I wonder if they will ever try a globe in a future iteration of Civ.

Also circumnavigation should be recoded to be a circular FOV around the northern pole instead of just reaching the sides which seems like nonsense

I think a (more) spherical map in future games would be possibly interesting. That would make for some really goofy tile shapes though.

I am playing primordial on disaster level 4 and have noticed a lot more volcanoes but not necessarily more eruptions. Does each volcano have an independent chance to erupt or is there a global eruption chance and it then picks a volcano to erupt?
There are two modifiers in play if I remember it. (I also need to check the changes)
One was a % of volcanoes active at anytime and one was how often they had gone off/chance of going off.

Primordial may have different setting, quite likely in fact. Probably just higher % and frequency. Not near my PC ATM

I'm on primordial as well and I've gotten 3 disaster aid requests and I just started the medieval era. Only level 2 disasters. I don't have any volcanoes or mountains for that matter, but from scouting around I've noticed a ridiculous amount of volcanoes. If anyone wants to knock out that diplomatic victory achievement, this is your map. Lots of jungle to chop as well and I'm really liking it.

I'm throttling Poundmaker in a war right now. He isn't building walls and he moves his units into position to get killed with little benefit, but he did have a catapult shoot at me while garrisoned in a city. That's something that I've never had happen so that's progress at least.

Not sure if someone answered the question already but: i ran an autoplay game on a small Terra map, with Maori as "human" player so i wouldn't be killed by AI too quickly, and settled in new world, then let the auto-play do its thing. AI definitely settle the new world, in this game at least 3 different civs had cities on it at around half or 2/3 of the game. So that's encouraging! Probably a normal human player that would beeline conquest of the new world would in any case arrive there first though.

Maori are in red, Cree in blue, Ottomans in white and Khmer in purple. Cree and Ottoman were the dominant force on the old world so it makes sense they would arrive there first (new world is on the right below). Additionnally at the time of the capture Cree was conquering Maori in the new world.

upload_2019-9-11_19-11-16.png

Went for the obvious Terra, Standard, Kupe, and ended up on the 'other' landmass (warrior went east, settler west). The new land as expected is covered in CS's so the 'first to meet CS' bonuses for Kupe are over the top, plus with the warrior going the other way you get to meet most of the other civs pretty quickly. It ends up being a monster start for Kupe in the new world; potentially OP. The other civs are certainly pounding on each other in the meantime.

There are a few CSs on the 'old world' continent since I'm getting notifications that CSs (multiple) are being eliminated, but most seem to be in the new world.

Next try for Terra will likely be some early warmonger specialty Civ (given the cramped quarters); maybe Aztec.

Glad to see other people are seeing other civs spawn on the opposite continent. I just won a game on Terra and nobody did the whole time except me, although I was only on king and I won quickly (1710 AD, turn 169 on Quick)

I've just been playing on a huge Primordial map, there's a good deal more Geothermal Fissures and clumps of volcanoes. The number of volcanoes might be problematic in later eras but I guess I will find out. There's tons of room to expand, and for once I wasn't sandwiched up against a dopey AI.
I'm playing with Natural Disasters set at 4, but I haven't come across an eruption in my territory yet. I haven't paid much attention to other civs with respect to volcanic eruptions.

Top Bottom