Thoughts on the New Map Types

Hmm, I wonder what civ is most suited to a heavily volcanic map. Hungary can put its thermal bath on geothermals, but that's a bit indirect. I know (the popular mod of) Iceland gets some bonus from Volcanic soil but it's pretty minor. Who can I cheese a volcano map with?

I'm well advanced on my first "twisted" map, and I must say it's a lot of fun. It may be helpful to remember how map projections are made - people are used to cylindrical projections where the map surface is a cylinder wrapped round the globe, usually tangent at the equator (though you get a very fun map if the tangent is to the Greenwich meridian). In the twisted axis map you are looking at a plane map tangent at the North Pole, so the South Pole is exploded to infinity. Sailing off the map is impossible, and true circumnavigation should actually be making a circuit of the pole. It would be better if the map were square, but Civ 6 doesn't seem to permit that.

Note that compass directions are different; the edges of the map are not N, S, E, W; they are ALL south. If you start a unit halfway between the centre and the right map edge and move towards the top of the map, it is not moving north, it is moving east.

It is a bit like the continents map in that you have two large land masses either side of the central ice, but these are not the only significant land. I find I am sharing one continent with Brazil; Hungary is not far away on its own smaller continent, and the other five are together on the other large continent. In most maps, you hardly bother exploring the top and bottom map edges because you know in advance they are probably not worth settling; here you can find useful land at all the edges except in the corners, as Victoria showed.

I haven't got far enough to see if the central ice melts!

Incidentally, there would no reason not to base a map script on a cylindrical projection tangent to the Greenwich meridian; then you would have both the Arctic and Antarctic ice masses lying along the "equator". That would be a true "twisted axis" - what Firaxis have made is actually just a polar projection.

In my standard terra game, Australia had only 2 cities squeezed in between Greece and scythia and lost them to loyalty pressure. ^^"

Some civs, I including me this time, have more than enough room though.

I just finished my first game as Poundmaker on C&I and I can say finally we got the mapscript I waited for since the beginning. Not favoring navy over land so each city can play its favour

I'm playing a Terra game as Phoenicia at the moment. Immortal difficulty. Bumped up the map size by one setting and removed two AIs from the game. I think that felt pretty good for the starting continent. There's definitely been tension and war but still room to settle a city or two before things got crazy.

But unfortunately, though not unexpectedly, the AI doesn't seem to know what to do really. I'm sure this will vary a bit due to randomness in different games but at turn 300 I'm still the only civ who have settled the new continent. And I was very lax about settling it, there's still lots of room, lots of resources, but... nope. They're just not settling it while, of course, they have plenty of very questionable and crappy cities on the starting continent.
The map itself is fun to play but yeah... the AI is not doing much. Unless this one was a fluke, I can't see myself playing this script much.

Playing terra map with Indonesia at the moment. I'm pretty happy with the result so far. I used huge map with 2 less civs (for a total of 10), default number of city states. I will say it's hugely advantageous to be the first to explore the other continent. Lots of +1's for me. There were 2 city states on our home continent, both were taken over by Persia (one later flipped to Rome).

Kongo is being a big jerkwad conquering both Khmer and Scythia. I'm guessing because of the lack of space to expand to. As for me, I had to do a split empire. I had limited room in the Southeast coast, but enough for 6 cities. I managed 4 more cities up North near Canada and Kongo. 1 more Khmer city flipped to me for a total of 11 cities in the old world. I just settled my first city in the new world for 12.

Just finished a continents&island map. Their are enough nearby island to easily expand during mid-game. So you always have extra stuff to do. I am never going back to a normal continents map. Started a game on Terra and I have mountains locking me into a great spot. Gilgamesh to the south, east/west mountains with Montezuma/Genghis Kong and north ocean. Its a good thing I am Scythia. Its a fun map knowing that War is the best way to expand during early game.

Little disappointed the AI civs didn't settle the terra continent in my game. Canada settled an island in between the old and new world, that's it. I'm not sure why they didn't settle the new continent. Maybe had the game gone on longer, they might have. I got cultural victory in the mid 1800's.

@Disgustipated

I think that lowering the number of starting CIVs to give you more breathing room makes the AI focus on military expansion instead of colonisation. Even from a tech point of view, the maritime branch is completely separate from the military one, so the AI has to focus on one or the other.

It might also help to add one or two maritime civilisation to make sure someone is focused on exploring the seas. :)

I'm sure I'll try it again. Probably not necessary to lower civs by 2 on a huge map. Though 12 might have been a bit crowded, will eventually try that though.

I am curious to hear if Twisted is a better representation of a globe than the current standard maps. Anyone?
No opinion on whether it's better, but you have to think differently. I'm playing Peter on a large twisted axis map, started near the center pole. Two large snaky continents, one on each side of the map with four civs on each, Harald started on a large lush island at the top, Kupe was in a corner.

Enough tundra around the center to get really nice dance of the aurora adjacencies for about 6 lavras on the main land mass, plus two more cities on small tundra islands. I've considered getting settlers over to the corners for more tundra faith, but on a large map it's quite a hike, and the land near two of the corners is crawling with barbs.

All in all, quite pleased with the script, will definitely play it again with a different civ, but I want to try other maps first.

I just want to say "bravo" to the team. These scripts are awesome. I've been craving more map options and they just give us all of these for free.

Especially as the released the map scripts as paid DLC for 5.

Just missing Highlands script :( especially for the Inca this would be nice ...
I haven't tried the Primordial map yet, but I wonder if using it and setting the Disasters to Level 1 might be a good substitute for Highlands.

I notice another problem with the Terra map. In my last game, the "old world" continent was a big round blob. Pity any civ starting in the middle of it with no access to the sea. Continents should be more complex in shape.

I haven't played Continents and Islands yet but in my games AI's always seem to settle other continents overseas at some point. In my last game I had a war against China because they settled a city on a cool island which had coal in it just 2 or 3 turns before my settler reached the place.

I think the only do it when they don't have more space in their original location AND they are not planning war against anyone though.

I haven't tried the Primordial map yet, but I wonder if using it and setting the Disasters to Level 1 might be a good substitute for Highlands.
thanks for your hint! Indeed I tested primordial. Its probably the best substitute at the moment. But still far away from the highlands script of Civ 5. There you could find regions within mountains that where not reachable at all without tunnels or - with Qhapaq Ñan. Would be very funny to play such a map with Inca :)

It would be better if the map were square, but Civ 6 doesn't seem to permit that.
AFAIK the engine support square maps, we just need to define some new sizes.

One can get a fairly easy religious victory on Terra by exploiting the overcrowding on the "Old World".

Chances are you will start with three close neighbours. You need to be quick to start a religion, and then make sure that Itinerant Preachers is one of your beliefs. You will also want Moksha as an early governor. Watch for one of your neighbours starting their own religion, and if they do, snuff it out quickly by converting their holy city which won't be far away, so this is easier than on other map types.

Now you have four civs of your religion bunched together. This becomes a critical mass. Thanks to Itinerant Preachers, your religion will spread by itself to the other civs, none of which are all that far away, being confined to half the map area. You don't really have to do much. Send out apostles now and again, but don't use them to convert cities, just preach once and move on to the next. This gives each city you preach at a little nudge towards salvation, and they will convert from religious pressure all the sooner. The more cities converted, the more the pressure builds, and you will find yourself discovering AI cities that have already converted before you even knew they were there.

It's pretty much an effortless victory.

Top Bottom