Thoughts on the New Map Types

I really like the Continents with islands map. Its perfect.

Except everything is connected by coastal water and you can meet everyone before you can cross ocean tiles. Regular old Continents is still par excellence.

Except everything is connected by coastal water and you can meet everyone before you can cross ocean tiles. Regular old Continents is still par excellence.

I prefer it over the regular continents map for that reason and also because I find the regular continents map lacking in small islands to settle. It is nice to meet the other civs early in the game to get culture game going or just for diplomacy/trade.

It is nice to meet the other civs early in the game to get culture game going or just for diplomacy/trade.
Yeah, nice to meet SOME of the other civs early in the game. But certainly NOT ALL. I dislike to end my naval exploration in ancient times as much as doing all of it after Celestial Navigation.
At least with high Sea Levels this should be impossible.

(So the 'workaround' is to generate a world with the Terra map script, load this game into World Builder, save again and start a new game with this 'custom map' for a even distribution of civs & proper naval exploration?!)

I prefer it over the regular continents map for that reason and also because I find the regular continents map lacking in small islands to settle. It is nice to meet the other civs early in the game to get culture game going or just for diplomacy/trade.

To me, it undercuts the bonuses of Norway and the Maori. Plus, exploring meeting the other civs makes the opening of the second half of the game mirror the beginning of the first part of the game. It feels symmetrical from a roleplaying perspective.

Yeah, nice to meet SOME of the other civs early in the game. But certainly NOT ALL. I dislike to end my naval exploration in ancient times as much as doing all of it after Celestial Navigation.
At least with high Sea Levels this should be impossible.

(So the 'workaround' is to generate a world with the Terra map script, load this game into World Builder, save again and start a new game with this 'custom map' for a even distribution of civs & proper naval exploration?!)

It gives you the option to explore the map at any pace you wish.

To me, it undercuts the bonuses of Norway and the Maori. Plus, exploring meeting the other civs makes the opening of the second half of the game mirror the beginning of the first part of the game. It feels symmetrical from a roleplaying perspective.

Good point about Norway and Maori. I was always excited to build seafaring ships to explore the world.

Blessed are those who play with huge maps, for they shall have less coastal connections among the continents and islands. :)

It can take a LOT of time to discover all the dead-end routes.

Started on a primordial map they have alot of cliffs, jungles, volcanoes and forest. This makes it hard to deal with early aggression if you are unprepared since forests/jungles give defensive bonuses and movement penalties. It harder to kill civs once walls are up since it take longer to get surround cities. Primordial maps are harder than a Terra map for builders. You will have early housing issues because you have to chop alot of woods/jungles to set up cities. Its comparable to continents and island maps with the amount of expansion lands you can explore.

Primordial is great for infantry lovers, ranged is a stand behind on a hill type troop. Only played one game but god of fire was great and my advice is rush to bronze and chop the volcano jungle before the volcanoes do. Gone is the scout hill promotion. I’m gonna play the map again with Brazil but saving that for when I’m feeling down.

The number of volcanoes seems to vary a lot. I have seen one primordial map with none at all. I thought I would build my own custom primordial map, but it seems that in World Builder there is no way to add a volcano (reported this in the bugs forum). Also it doesn't allow Primordial as a starting basis.

To be honest, I think Primordial is very disappoiting with their vulcanos, I think I have the same amount of vulcanos on the map as a continents map and I already tried it 5 times with different civs

Finally took some time to play a Terra Map, first game since the patch, and found everything unfolding beautifully...as Dido, got a start on a peninsula up in the NE corner of the main continent, lots of reefs not much land but this is ok I'm playing a level below my usual, and all 7 other civs start on this continent with me. A single CS on an island navigable by coast, Babylon, and then fully half the map cut off by contiguous ocean tiles. Only get 4 cities up but they all have a Cothon pretty quick.

The excitement kicks in when I recruit Leif Erickson a good 12 turns before I discover Cartography. So my ships scout out, my land units and a couple of settlers are just waiting, I have 4 envoys banked, and I remember just in time to slot Diplomatic League. All works well, I meet a CS, get 2 envoys, add a third to take suze and so meet another CS. And so over the next era I meet all 11 remaining CS and get 2 envoys with each. My banked envoys and completing a few quests keeps the goodness rolling in. My skirmishers are eating up goodyhuts, I'm getting settlers to the best spots between the City States. And I'm saying to myself, this is awesome I haven't had this sort of mid-game urgency about discovering the new world since civ4. Meanwhile on the home front I've got the MoM built to demonstrate the awesomeness of a coast Petra and neighboring cities are flipping to me bit by bit.

Then I realize the AI is never going to show up in the "new world". And they're not even trying to take suze of Babylon from me. I have suze with all 12 city states now but no more than 4 envoys with any of them. This is with both Tamar and Matthias in the game. I can see 3 other civs are FINALLY starting to earn some GA points, but they are an order of magnitude behind my GA point production. I'm guessing if I actually go to war with a major civ I'd see them allocate some envoys against me, but so far I'm making sure to get along and it seems they're just going to let my run away with everything to do with the New World.

TL,DR: AI doesn't seem to be able to complete on Terra Maps.

Also, very important - participating in a military emergency means you have shared visibility, and this seems to mess up the free envoy(s) awarded for First Contact with a City State. I didn't investigate to see if one of my "allies" got the free envoy, I just know I didn't, and reloading an earlier save to ensure I was NOT part of a military emergency when discovering a new City State allowed me to get the free envoys as expected.

To be honest, I think Primordial is very disappoiting with their vulcanos, I think I have the same amount of vulcanos on the map as a continents map and I already tried it 5 times with different civs

I kind of agree. My guess is, it makes mountain ranges as normal, and then turns a lot of the range into volcanoes. But mountain ranges aren't that common, so volcanoes don't end up being that common. They are definitely more than a normal map but only in selected areas.

I notice another problem with the Terra map. In my last game, the "old world" continent was a big round blob. Pity any civ starting in the middle of it with no access to the sea. Continents should be more complex in shape.

I noticed this in some cases as well, when making test generations with the Terra script in the world builder. The chance for this seems to increase a lot when using low sealevels, while high sealevel tends to produce more interesting shapes. I also noticed this effect for the C&I Skript. So in conclusion, it might be indeed the best way to use a larger map size with fewer opponents and increased sea level. Too bad that Civ6 tends to get instable when going beyond huge map size with mods.

One thing that can be dismissed is the idea that Primordial is a substitute for a highlands map and is good for the Aztecs. It doesn't particularly have many mountains.

One thing that can be dismissed is the idea that Primordial is a substitute for a highlands map and is good for the Aztecs. It doesn't particularly have many mountains.
Do Volcanoes not count as Mountains in this game?!?!?

I haven’t been able to play the Terra map yet. Are strategic resources distributed evenly between the Old and the New world? It would be interesting to find more advanced resources (Oil, Aluminum, Uranium) in the New World.

Top Bottom