Thread to Report Issues with new xenForo version 2.2: "Similar Threads"

In the games forum's someone reads a thread "Best way to utilise Aztec Jaguars" or "How to leverage Philosophical in Civ IV", working properly this feature should surface threads relevant to these topics.
Could you link me to those threads? My search-fu failed me :(

This thread has some decent Similar Threads:

A few examples from threads I'm interested in...

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civassist-ii.118540/page-67#post-16308116 -- suggests threads in:
Old World - Creation and Customization, Civ4 - Fall from Heaven, Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization (also a Civ4 mod?), Civ2 - Scenario League, and ... a bugs & crashes thread for another Civ4 mod!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lk166-dutch-ccm-un-victory-target.675735/page-18 -- suggests threads in:
Civ - Ideas & Suggestions (Civ 4, that is), Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays, Mods Repository (Civ 5), Civ - Ideas & Suggestions (Civ6, that is), and Civ4 - Strategy & Tips

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/seafaring-ai-capital-not-on-a-coast.677944/#post-16306282 -- a bit better, suggesting threads in:
Civ3 - General Discussions (right topic!), Civ4 - Strategy & Tips, Civ6 - General Discussions, and Community Patch Project (Civ 5)

Any way you could shard the index by forum, perhaps? I'm not interested in content for the newer games, having never played them (for a variety of reasons that aren't really pertinent to this thread)

These were illustrative examples of the principle not actual specific threads.

Ah, I was hoping for concrete examples. I can see some value in the promise if not the implementation.

This thread has some decent Similar Threads:

That's a much better example than what I've seen in the Civ 3 forums! :hatsoff:

It must be working also somewhere else, since I'm getting a few likes in the recent das from a thread which is now 10 months old :D.

The "similar threads" feature works by comparing similar words in the OP, I think, and doesn't (and cannot) take the Civ version into account. In some areas this therefore works rather badly, since you get stuff from all the civ versions suggested, which is not optimal :/.

It must be working also somewhere else, since I'm getting a few likes in the recent das from a thread which is now 10 months old :D.

The "similar threads" feature works by comparing similar words in the OP, I think, and doesn't (and cannot) take the Civ version into account. In some areas this therefore works rather badly, since you get stuff from all the civ versions suggested, which is not optimal :/.
I have a bad feeling this feature is only going to lead to more thread necro. I could certainly live without it.

Sorry if it's not the right place to ask but is there a way to hide the "Similar threads" area from the bottom of the page? It's confusing and annoying on a smart phone.

We have just decided to keep this feature, sorry :/.

If there is a new post in a thread, you should come automatically to the most recent new post.

Personally I find the "similar threads" to be mostly useless and really annoying, as the "similar" part usually depends on a similar title and may refer to a thread years out of date that's been archived or is dozens of pages down, or in a forum I've never even read, let alone participated in.

Absolutely none of the "similar threads" listed right now has anything to do with the thread we're currently posting in here.

Nope, it's either on or off, forum-wide. Right now we decided for "on", but we're also waiting to see how this works out.

I think that, if it can't be really used for Civ content (due to not picking up the version), it may be better to turn it off. For me, anyway, it makes things badly cluttered and is annoying in that way...

This feature just worked really well for me, we are migrating the HOF to the new Server and I updated the Civ 4 thread to keep people aware of progress. The first two similar threads were the same announcements for Civ III and Civ V - very handy to let me update them as well!

On the "Similar Threads" option, in the non-civ forums, here is my list of """similar""" threads, to the (Off topic forum) LGBTQ News thread:

1659553684034.png

New Turkey topping the list is comedic, but as you can see the option isn't actually helping :p
And it does make things cluttered.

So a thread in OT "Who is worse- old man president who stutters a bit VS ignorant prideful moronic president who does nothing but play all day." about President Yoon gets me the following 'Similar threads'. I mean, it's not just inaccurate, it's comically absurdly inaccurate and also really tempts me to necro that fourth one from 2011.

SimilarThreads.png

This feature just worked really well for me, we are migrating the HOF to the new Server and I updated the Civ 4 thread to keep people aware of progress. The first two similar threads were the same announcements for Civ III and Civ V - very handy to let me update them as well!
So far, this is the only comment I've seen in favor of keeping the "Similar Threads" feature . Everyone else has hated it and would like it removed.

So a thread in OT "Who is worse- old man president who stutters a bit VS ignorant prideful moronic president who does nothing but play all day." about President Yoon gets me the following 'Similar threads'. I mean, it's not just inaccurate, it's comically absurdly inaccurate and also really tempts me to necro that fourth one from 2011.

View attachment 635936
Xenforo AI: not strong enough.

Has there been any internal study about effectiveness depending on thread tags? OT threads rarely use them, or they use them for jokes.

I guess a more general question is how similarity is weighed.

Top Bottom