Times For Heroes: Chapter 1, Origins

I guess if what H-S said is in place, then I would have less of a problem with the story writing. However, still with the timezone difference and my being busy, it would be difficult for me, personally, to write stories.

And also, this NES isn't so much about "winning" as the other NESes are, so if you're playing to dominate the world, it ain't the right game for you. Keep in character, and realistic, and roll with what others present for you to deal with, and EQ can mod some things to figure out how they turn out, but generally play this game not from the typical NES standpoint of "I'm going to destroy you all!" but of "My character (or nation) is just trying to survive." At least, that's how I'm playing it (and how I play most of my NESes anyways).

Yeah, bestshot and human-slaughter have made some good points on how i envision this.

Orders arent really essential in this sort of format. It's all about the story, not the game. I was planning on determining battles, was thinking of writing out a story for the epic battle against the centaur and Gil'Galeth. But what h-s said does sound like it will work.

Personally I am a huge fan of the only-story format. One NES I enjoyed immensely, SteamNES, was pure-storyism and fostered a creative and engaging atmosphere. I for one think that this is a step forward and will not harm the fundamentals of the NES at all.

I maintain thoughts of resuming that NES after a BT- but then again, I have lots of ideas.

At any rate, full steam ahead!

I think that everybody should compromise on writing just 1 story, and a deadline would work wonders. EQ, mind putting the next update normal with the orders we sent you and from there we start with the story-NES?

Okay, I suppose I can work with that. For instance I was trying to send an emissary to the Khazador (Crezth) to open peaceful relations, trade, and possible exchange knowledge as well to cement good ties with our neighbor. So I would write up the trip there, he writes the reception etc... the only thing is we should both know the outcome ahead of time so we can write stories appropriately. Does that make sense? I confused myself. Damn I've been so tired lately.

That'd certainly be a good way to work it out.

Personally I think the role of a moderator in a story NES is less the "guiding hand" and more the "watchful eye." The object of importance is that people don't get puerile and engage in character assassination (a sin of roleplaying) or otherwise. I think that the players can manage themselves in a storynes quite well.

Such speculation is out of place in this thread, however. Let's move on.

OOC:Here's a little story I made up. EQ, could you fix my stats soon?

IC: The Roagim Emperor looked over his Royal Pond. For forty years he has hopped along its coast, and for forty years he has swam in its waters. But now things were changing. He struggled out of his seat, wheezing and croaking as he attempted to stand up. He stood for a couple of seconds, nervous and somewhat amazed at what he had accomplished. But then he heard a snap, and he fell over in agony. His front legs had broken, a clear sign that he was getting older. He had enjoyed the comforts of his rule for too long. Now he wept, seeing what the rest of his life would be like. Immobile. Vulnerable. He hated it. He cursed as he laid there on the floor in a puddle of his own tears. His sorrow turned to anger. His love turned to hate. His sanity turned to madness.

He sat there for what seemed like an eternity. His cries went ignored, for his palace was to be kept empty every night to ensure peace and quiet. But now this proved to be the undoing of the Roagim Emperor’s sanity. He screamed at the moon shined outside his window, its white reflection rippled as a fish jumped out of the Pond. He cursed its beauty, and how useless it was, ignoring his pleas and uselessly hanging in the sky. He pushed himself painfully back onto his throne, his eyes red with madness.

His mind raced, faster than it had ever before. With no purpose at all, his thoughts dashed this way and that, weaving histories of fake worlds in his mind in seconds. He became a hero in his own mind, and yet his own villain. Right and wrong were now gone, justice and evil becoming simple words that held no meaning. He was a god and a peasant, ruler and servant. His mind stretched and expanded, then shrunk to miniscule size in the blink of an eye. His tongue hung out of his mouth as his mind melted.

And thus, the Mad Emperor was born.

Top Bottom