TJS1 -- Going on the Pill-age

If we lose a few uneducated, axe-wielding maniacs to some terrified dutch musketmen; I can live with that. We must protect the presidential palaces in our core cities.

Taking on another opponent makes me nervous but IMHO amsterdams great lighthouse will help us a lot and maybe help us overwhelm byzantines.

So... don't bother buying anything, just send our axe-wielding maniacs at the Dutch and figure we'll get their Gunpowder sooner or later, even if we don't know where it is?

Interesting idea:

The Russians will offer us Gunpowder, 15 gpt (all they have), and Two workers for Peace and an Alliance against the Dutch (actually, I'm pretty sure they'll offer us the Gunpowder, gold, and two workers for just peace on its own, but figured I might as well check to see how they'd feel about the alliance)

Is that worth taking for Gunpowder and money, or do we want to finish off the Russians now, not 20 turns from now?

Finish them off now :hammer: The only reason to get Gunpowder is to see which tiles have Saltpeter, and I don't even think that's terribly important.

I'd say, we don't want to keep them around for another 20 turns. And we shouldn't break peace deals now, as we can still get lots of size-1 towns in peace treaties, if we keep a clean peace deal reputation.

Alright, I'm done now. The Russians are finished, and the Dutch are falling quickly. Amsterdam was no trouble, and our ships now have faster, safer movement.

I'll post the whole set here, though you've probably already read the first 5 turns of it:

Turn 0 (450 AD):

MM:

-Send the clown in Smolensk back to work, he’s not needed for happiness. Same with the taxman in St. Petersburg.

-Move citizens in Copenhagen and Birka from a mined Grass to Coast to reduce shield overrun and give us extra gpt.

-Move two citizens from Plains to coast in Molde- it can’t grow anyway until it gets an Aqueduct, and it both reduces overrun and gives extra gold.

IBT:

-The Dutch and Arabs sign peace. Booooooo! Peace, what is it good for?

-The Russians retreat a bunch of their workers back into cities, and a Galley departs Smolensk.

-Reykjavik: Galley->Galley

-Birka: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Aarhus: Market->Knight

-Stavanger: Courthouse->Berzerk

-Molde: Berzerk->Aqueduct

Turn 1 (460 AD):

-Use workers to shortrush the Berzerks in Birka and Stavanger and the Knight in Aarhus.

-Reassign an irrigated sugar tile from Karasjok to Kufah- Karasjok can’t grow until it finishes its Aqueduct, but Kufah could certainly use faster growth.

@Orenburg: eKnight kills rSpear (1-0)

@Moscow: 8 Knights and 1 Horse are outside the city, with one vKnight ready to attack. It kills an rSpear. (2-0)

@Tver: vBerzerk kills rSpear, eBerzerk kills rSpear, and the city is ours. (4-0)

-Send a few Galleys with Berzerks North, in preparation for a “friendly visit” to the Dutch in a few turns.

IBT:

-A Russian rLBM forces our vKnight near Moscow to retreat.

-The Dutch unload a Horseman near Orenburg.

-Trondheim: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Bergen: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Copenhagen: Market->Pikeman

-Stockholm: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Hareid: Harbor->Aqueduct

Turn 2 (470 AD):

-eHorse kills rLBM outside Moscow (5-0)

-Inside Moscow itself: 4 vKnights kill 4 rSpears, and the city is ours, along with 3 workers and the Mausoleum of Mausollos and the Great Library! (9-0)

-vKnight kills rLBM near Novgorod (10-0)

@Orenburg: eKnight retreats to rSpear, 4/5 Knight kills rSpear, and we take the city. (11-0)

<snip>

-After discussion, I decide to give Moscow to the Ottomans. We don’t need no education… yet. We can perhaps use the Library later. Since this will give them at least Invention and Engineering for free, I decide to give them Engineering (would have asked for something in return, but all they had was 2 gold), then trade them Invention for Theology and all 2 of their gold. Taking a quick look around at the other AI’s, I confirm that at least the Carthaginians and Byzantines have Education, which we obviously don’t want, and so I let the Ottomans have Moscow now.

IBT:

-Kufah: Galley->Galley

-Stavanger: Berzerk->Berzerk

Turn 3 (480 AD):

-Level 1 WW seems to have hit us. I turn up the Lux rate to 20% to fight it- but that won’t be needed for long.

@Vladivostok: vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills rPike, vBerzerk kills rSpear, city captured, and another Berzerk captures some workers outside the city (13-1)

-One of our “friendly” Galleys spots a Musket in Amsterdam. Well, that makes things a little harder…

IBT:

-The Russians and Dutch fight each other near Yakutsk, with the Russians killing a LBM and Two Horsemen and the Dutch killing a Spear.

-The Russians unload an Archer and an LBM near currently undefended St. Petersburg, and the Dutch send a Horse at them that gets killed by the Archer.

-Copenhagen: Pike->Pike

-Aarhus: Knight->Knight

Turn 4 (490 AD):

-A 4/5 Knight and a 3/5 Knight kill the Russian Archer and LBM near St Pete’s that the Dutch failed to kill over the interturn. (15-1)

@Yakutsk: A SINGLE FREAKING 2/4 PIKEMEN KILLS 4 ATTACKING vKNIGHTS!!!! (15-5)

Uuuuuggggghhhh. Well, that certainly hurts…

@Rostov: vBerzerk kills rPike, 4/5 Berzerk dies to rSpear but redlines it, 4/5 Horse finishes the Spear, captures the city and a couple of workers (17-6). We also gain some Dyes, helping out our happiness situation quite a bit- enough to let me set the lux rate back down to 10%.

-Capture a few more workers near Khabarovsk, the other Russian city in the area.

-Our deals with the Dutch are expiring, but losing 4 Knights at Yakutsk and not having the city as a way to get to some of the Dutch cities faster really hurts, and I decide to hold off on attacking the Dutch for another turn or two to let units heal and if not finish off Russia, at least take the final non-Yakutsk city. I do decide to cancel our deals, though- we’ve had Silks from our former Russian territory for a while, and there’s no real reason to keep paying the Dutch Furs for an Alliance against Russia.

IBT:

-The Byzantines declare war on us. A Horsemen walks into undefended Tver, the isolated ex-Russian city, and captures it.

-A Dromon sinks our exploring Galley, and an rLBM kills one of our Berzerks near Khabarovsk (17-8)

@Bergen: Berzerk->Berzerk

@Reykjavik: Galley->Galley

@Stockholm: Berzerk->Berzerk

@Stavanger: Berzerk->Berzerk

-The people build our Palace a 4th Floor and two side wings.

Turn 5 (500 AD):

@Khabarovsk: vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills rSpear, vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills the annoying Pike, eHorse kills 2/3 LBM, capture the city (20-10)

<Pause to discuss Byzantine War>

It is decided to declare war on the Dutch despite these setbacks- but most of our remaining Knights aren’t really close enough for an invasion yet, so I wait one more turn before declaring war.

-Spend around 1000 gold rushing all the Aqueducts in size-6 cities that are incapable of growing without them, then a bit more to rush a few Knights in cities close to the Dutch border.

IBT:

-Two Arab Archers show up near Kufah, and the Dutch send a worker into our territory. Thanks for the slave, William!

-St. Petersburg: Worker->Worker

-Novgorod: Barracks->Pike

-Vadso: Knight->Knight

-Yekaterinberg: Aqueduct->Harbor

-Stavanger: Knight->Knight

-Hareid: Aqueduct->Market

-Molde: Aqueduct->Berzerk

-Alesund: Aqueduct->Berzerk

Turn 6 (510 AD):

-Alright, time to fight the Dutch. For the heck of it, I demand Gunpowder from them. They refuse, so it’s time for war!

@Utrecht: vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight retreats to rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight kills rLBM, captures the city and 2 workers (24-10). Berzerks then capture a couple of more Dutch workers South of the city.

@Groningen: vKnight kills rSpear, eKnight kills rSpear, takes the city (26-10)

@Eindhoven: vBerzerk kills rSpear, vBerzerk kills rSpear, takes the city (28-10)

-A Berzerk and a Knight kill 2 more rSpears passing by Moscow (30-10)

-eKnight kills one of the two Arab Archers near Kufah (31-10)

-eKnight kills Russian rLBM near Yakutsk (32-10)

IBT:

-Carthage demands 95 gold. While I don’t really want to give it to Hannibal, I also don’t really want to be at war with everyone at once, and with the amount of gold we have, 95 isn’t really a lot to us. So I give him the gold… this time.

-The remaining Arab Archer pillages the roaded/mined Grassland West of Kufah.

-I watch as the Dutch LBM near Yakutsk kills the Elite Russian Pike that killed 4 of our Knights a few turns ago. Hey, thanks, Dutch! That just makes it that much easier to finish the Russians off!

-Groningen riots… even though it has equal numbers of happy and unhappy citizens? Okay… Stupid Resistance, I guess…

-Oslo: Market->Barracks

-Krasnoyarsk: Worker->Worker

Turn 7 (520 AD):

-Today should mark the end of the “mighty” Russian Empire and the conquest of the first of our seven rivals. By the Gods’ will, it shall be done!

@Yakutsk: 4/5 Knight dies to rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight dies to redlined rSpear OH COME ON NOT THIS AGAIN WHAT IS WITH THIS CITY FOR THOR’S SAKE!!! (33-12) Oh RNG God, why have you forsaken us so?

Well, I don’t have any more full-strength Knights that can reach Yakutsk this turn. perhaps we’ll have better luck at Amsterdam…

@amsterdam: vBerzerks attack rMuskets 6 times, with 4 dead Muskets and 2 dead Berzerks. A vBerzerk then kills an rSpear, and 2 more vBerzerks kill the 2 Muskets that survived the earlier battles, and the city is ours, and with it, The Colossus and The Great Lighthouse!! (40-14) We even capture 2 workers for our trouble. The Dutch Capital moves West to Rotterdam.

-eKnight kills the other Arab Archer near Kufah. (41-14)

IBT:

-5 Arab Archers move into the tile West of Kufah. I guess they’re not as weak as I thought…

-Bergen: Knight->Knight

-Stockholm: Knight->Knight

Turn 8 (530 AD):

@Yakutsk: Alright, third time’s the charm, I guess? vKnight kills rSpear, and we finally capture the city and two workers (42-14). The Russians are no more. An eKnight kills a redlined Dutch LBM near the city. (43-14)

4/5 Knight kills one of the Arab Archers near Kufah, though is redlined doing so. I pull the Spear on the hill back into the city, just to be on the safe side. (44-14)

IBT:

-3 of the Arab Archers attack the defenders of Kufah and are repulsed. Our Veteran Spear in the city promotes to Elite. (47-14). A few more show up.

-Yekaterinburg: Harbor-> Market

-Oslo: Barracks->Berzerk

-Bryansk: Worker->Worker

Turn 9 (540 AD):

-vKnights kill 2 more Arab rArchers near Kufah (49-14)

-eKnight kills a Dutch rLBM near Rotterdam (50-14)

Time to use the new powers of the Great Lightouse, and get to those outlying Dutch cities faster!

@Delft: vBerzerk kills rSpear x2, capture the city (52-14)

@Maastricht: vBerzerk kills rSpear x2, capture the city (54-14)

-We’ve got lots of cash, rush a few units and buildings all over the place.

IBT:

-The remaining 2 Arab Archers move up onto the hill near Kufah.

-Amsterdam: Harbor->Pike

-Orenburg: Harbor->Pike

-Hareid: Market->Knight

-Alesund: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Karasjok: Aqueduct->Barracks

-Farsund: Harbor->Galley

Turn 10 (550 AD):

-Knights kill the 2 Archers near Kufah. (56-14)

@Holwerd: vZerk dies to rSpear, eZerk kills rSpear and generates an MGL, Inwaaer! Another eZerk kills the last Spear and takes the city (58-15).

@Middelburg: A Galley with 2 Berzerks reaches the city, but there’s an LBM just outside that the Zerks can’t reach, and I don’t want to take the city just to lose it again next turn, so I hold off… for now.

@Haarlem: A Galley moves to its one coastal tile… and immediately turns around and unloads its two Berzerks onto land upon seeing 2 Dromons there.

@Rotterdam: A large number of Knights and Berzerks is camped outside the city, ready to attack it next turn.

Notes:

-I've probably been a little careless with worker management and micromanagement and maybe even a little bit military units, so my bad if some worker is doing something that's not very productive.
-I'm fairly certain Rotterdam is the last Dutch city that's off the coast, and from what I can tell, most of their cities are poorly defended, just a few spears. A couple of Galleys and Berzerks should be able to finish off the rest easily, as long as we don't run into too many Dromons.
-After they're done, we can start invading the Byzantines, and maybe also send some Knights at the Arabs. I left some military units in Northwest Russia to prepare for the Byzies, though I haven't seen much of them recently.
-What should we do with our new MGL? Knight Army? There's not really much else we could use it for, Berzerk Army would defeat the point of Amphibious Berzerks since it can't fit in a Galley.
-Remember to rebuff Moscow if it flips to us- we want to keep it out of our hands, at least for now- maybe some time in the future we'll want it to get some free techs, but right now the Temple of Artemis is helping more than the technology would. And, for that matter, let's see if we can remember which cities have which wonders in the future so we don't accidentally end up with one we don't want again. :lol:
-There's plenty of holes in the north of ex-Dutch and ex-Russian territory to fill if we want to, partly there because the Dutch expanded slow and partly there because neither of them ever bothered to clear all the Marshland.
-I think there's a decent chance the game will end before it gets back to me, depending on how quickly we can deal with the Byzantines. If this is my last set, then it's been fun, and best of luck on continuing the conquest. If it isn't, then the rest of you might like to know (especially tjs, for his time zone list in the first post) that I'll be in GMT-10 and not GMT-8 (well, GMT-7 right now with DST) by the time it gets back to me, since I'm moving to Hawaii in a few weeks for grad school.

Attachments

• Vikings SG, 550 AD.SAV
    230.7 KB · Views: 111
Alright, I'm done now. The Russians are finished, and the Dutch are falling quickly. Amsterdam was no trouble, and our ships now have faster, safer movement.

I'll post the whole set here, though you've probably already read the first 5 turns of it:

Turn 0 (450 AD):

MM:

-Send the clown in Smolensk back to work, he’s not needed for happiness. Same with the taxman in St. Petersburg.

-Move citizens in Copenhagen and Birka from a mined Grass to Coast to reduce shield overrun and give us extra gpt.

-Move two citizens from Plains to coast in Molde- it can’t grow anyway until it gets an Aqueduct, and it both reduces overrun and gives extra gold.

IBT:

-The Dutch and Arabs sign peace. Booooooo! Peace, what is it good for?

-The Russians retreat a bunch of their workers back into cities, and a Galley departs Smolensk.

-Aarhus: Market->Knight

-Stavanger: Courthouse->Berzerk

-Molde: Berzerk->Aqueduct

Turn 1 (460 AD):

-Use workers to shortrush the Berzerks in Birka and Stavanger and the Knight in Aarhus.

-Reassign an irrigated sugar tile from Karasjok to Kufah- Karasjok can’t grow until it finishes its Aqueduct, but Kufah could certainly use faster growth.

@Orenburg: eKnight kills rSpear (1-0)

@Moscow: 8 Knights and 1 Horse are outside the city, with one vKnight ready to attack. It kills an rSpear. (2-0)

@Tver: vBerzerk kills rSpear, eBerzerk kills rSpear, and the city is ours. (4-0)

-Send a few Galleys with Berzerks North, in preparation for a “friendly visit” to the Dutch in a few turns.

IBT:

-A Russian rLBM forces our vKnight near Moscow to retreat.

-The Dutch unload a Horseman near Orenburg.

-Bergen: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Copenhagen: Market->Pikeman

-Stockholm: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Hareid: Harbor->Aqueduct

Turn 2 (470 AD):

-eHorse kills rLBM outside Moscow (5-0)

-Inside Moscow itself: 4 vKnights kill 4 rSpears, and the city is ours, along with 3 workers and the Mausoleum of Mausollos and the Great Library! (9-0)

-vKnight kills rLBM near Novgorod (10-0)

@Orenburg: eKnight retreats to rSpear, 4/5 Knight kills rSpear, and we take the city. (11-0)

<snip>

-After discussion, I decide to give Moscow to the Ottomans. We don’t need no education… yet. We can perhaps use the Library later. Since this will give them at least Invention and Engineering for free, I decide to give them Engineering (would have asked for something in return, but all they had was 2 gold), then trade them Invention for Theology and all 2 of their gold. Taking a quick look around at the other AI’s, I confirm that at least the Carthaginians and Byzantines have Education, which we obviously don’t want, and so I let the Ottomans have Moscow now.

IBT:

-Stavanger: Berzerk->Berzerk

Turn 3 (480 AD):

-Level 1 WW seems to have hit us. I turn up the Lux rate to 20% to fight it- but that won’t be needed for long.

@Vladivostok: vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills rPike, vBerzerk kills rSpear, city captured, and another Berzerk captures some workers outside the city (13-1)

-One of our “friendly” Galleys spots a Musket in Amsterdam. Well, that makes things a little harder…

IBT:

-The Russians and Dutch fight each other near Yakutsk, with the Russians killing a LBM and Two Horsemen and the Dutch killing a Spear.

-The Russians unload an Archer and an LBM near currently undefended St. Petersburg, and the Dutch send a Horse at them that gets killed by the Archer.

Turn 4 (490 AD):

-A 4/5 Knight and a 3/5 Knight kill the Russian Archer and LBM near St Pete’s that the Dutch failed to kill over the interturn. (15-1)

@Yakutsk: A SINGLE FREAKING 2/4 PIKEMEN KILLS 4 ATTACKING vKNIGHTS!!!! (15-5)

Uuuuuggggghhhh. Well, that certainly hurts…

@Rostov: vBerzerk kills rPike, 4/5 Berzerk dies to rSpear but redlines it, 4/5 Horse finishes the Spear, captures the city and a couple of workers (17-6). We also gain some Dyes, helping out our happiness situation quite a bit- enough to let me set the lux rate back down to 10%.

-Capture a few more workers near Khabarovsk, the other Russian city in the area.

-Our deals with the Dutch are expiring, but losing 4 Knights at Yakutsk and not having the city as a way to get to some of the Dutch cities faster really hurts, and I decide to hold off on attacking the Dutch for another turn or two to let units heal and if not finish off Russia, at least take the final non-Yakutsk city. I do decide to cancel our deals, though- we’ve had Silks from our former Russian territory for a while, and there’s no real reason to keep paying the Dutch Furs for an Alliance against Russia.

IBT:

-The Byzantines declare war on us. A Horsemen walks into undefended Tver, the isolated ex-Russian city, and captures it.

-A Dromon sinks our exploring Galley, and an rLBM kills one of our Berzerks near Khabarovsk (17-8)

@Bergen: Berzerk->Berzerk

@Reykjavik: Galley->Galley

@Stockholm: Berzerk->Berzerk

@Stavanger: Berzerk->Berzerk

-The people build our Palace a 4th Floor and two side wings.

Turn 5 (500 AD):

@Khabarovsk: vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills rSpear, vBerzerk dies to rPike, vBerzerk kills the annoying Pike, eHorse kills 2/3 LBM, capture the city (20-10)

<Pause to discuss Byzantine War>

It is decided to declare war on the Dutch despite these setbacks- but most of our remaining Knights aren’t really close enough for an invasion yet, so I wait one more turn before declaring war.

-Spend around 1000 gold rushing all the Aqueducts in size-6 cities that are incapable of growing without them, then a bit more to rush a few Knights in cities close to the Dutch border.

IBT:

-Two Arab Archers show up near Kufah, and the Dutch send a worker into our territory. Thanks for the slave, William!

-St. Petersburg: Worker->Worker

-Novgorod: Barracks->Pike

-Yekaterinberg: Aqueduct->Harbor

-Hareid: Aqueduct->Market

-Molde: Aqueduct->Berzerk

-Alesund: Aqueduct->Berzerk

Turn 6 (510 AD):

-Alright, time to fight the Dutch. For the heck of it, I demand Gunpowder from them. They refuse, so it’s time for war!

@Utrecht: vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight retreats to rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight kills rLBM, captures the city and 2 workers (24-10). Berzerks then capture a couple of more Dutch workers South of the city.

@Groningen: vKnight kills rSpear, eKnight kills rSpear, takes the city (26-10)

@Eindhoven: vBerzerk kills rSpear, vBerzerk kills rSpear, takes the city (28-10)

-A Berzerk and a Knight kill 2 more rSpears passing by Moscow (30-10)

-eKnight kills one of the two Arab Archers near Kufah (31-10)

-eKnight kills Russian rLBM near Yakutsk (32-10)

IBT:

-Carthage demands 95 gold. While I don’t really want to give it to Hannibal, I also don’t really want to be at war with everyone at once, and with the amount of gold we have, 95 isn’t really a lot to us. So I give him the gold… this time.

-The remaining Arab Archer pillages the roaded/mined Grassland West of Kufah.

-I watch as the Dutch LBM near Yakutsk kills the Elite Russian Pike that killed 4 of our Knights a few turns ago. Hey, thanks, Dutch! That just makes it that much easier to finish the Russians off!

-Groningen riots… even though it has equal numbers of happy and unhappy citizens? Okay… Stupid Resistance, I guess…

-Oslo: Market->Barracks

-Krasnoyarsk: Worker->Worker

Turn 7 (520 AD):

-Today should mark the end of the “mighty” Russian Empire and the conquest of the first of our seven rivals. By the Gods’ will, it shall be done!

@Yakutsk: 4/5 Knight dies to rSpear, vKnight kills rSpear, vKnight dies to redlined rSpear OH COME ON NOT THIS AGAIN WHAT IS WITH THIS CITY FOR THOR’S SAKE!!! (33-12) Oh RNG God, why have you forsaken us so?

Well, I don’t have any more full-strength Knights that can reach Yakutsk this turn. perhaps we’ll have better luck at Amsterdam…

@amsterdam: vBerzerks attack rMuskets 6 times, with 4 dead Muskets and 2 dead Berzerks. A vBerzerk then kills an rSpear, and 2 more vBerzerks kill the 2 Muskets that survived the earlier battles, and the city is ours, and with it, The Colossus and The Great Lighthouse!! (40-14) We even capture 2 workers for our trouble. The Dutch Capital moves West to Rotterdam.

-eKnight kills the other Arab Archer near Kufah. (41-14)

IBT:

-5 Arab Archers move into the tile West of Kufah. I guess they’re not as weak as I thought…

-Bergen: Knight->Knight

-Stockholm: Knight->Knight

Turn 8 (530 AD):

@Yakutsk: Alright, third time’s the charm, I guess? vKnight kills rSpear, and we finally capture the city and two workers (42-14). The Russians are no more. An eKnight kills a redlined Dutch LBM near the city. (43-14)

4/5 Knight kills one of the Arab Archers near Kufah, though is redlined doing so. I pull the Spear on the hill back into the city, just to be on the safe side. (44-14)

IBT:

-3 of the Arab Archers attack the defenders of Kufah and are repulsed. Our Veteran Spear in the city promotes to Elite. (47-14). A few more show up.

-Yekaterinburg: Harbor-> Market

-Oslo: Barracks->Berzerk

-Bryansk: Worker->Worker

Turn 9 (540 AD):

-vKnights kill 2 more Arab rArchers near Kufah (49-14)

-eKnight kills a Dutch rLBM near Rotterdam (50-14)

Time to use the new powers of the Great Lightouse, and get to those outlying Dutch cities faster!

@Delft: vBerzerk kills rSpear x2, capture the city (52-14)

@Maastricht: vBerzerk kills rSpear x2, capture the city (54-14)

-We’ve got lots of cash, rush a few units and buildings all over the place.

IBT:

-The remaining 2 Arab Archers move up onto the hill near Kufah.

-Amsterdam: Harbor->Pike

-Orenburg: Harbor->Pike

-Hareid: Market->Knight

-Alesund: Berzerk->Berzerk

-Karasjok: Aqueduct->Barracks

-Farsund: Harbor->Galley

Turn 10 (550 AD):

-Knights kill the 2 Archers near Kufah. (56-14)

@Holwerd: vZerk dies to rSpear, eZerk kills rSpear and generates an MGL, Inwaaer! Another eZerk kills the last Spear and takes the city (58-15).

@Middelburg: A Galley with 2 Berzerks reaches the city, but there’s an LBM just outside that the Zerks can’t reach, and I don’t want to take the city just to lose it again next turn, so I hold off… for now.

@Haarlem: A Galley moves to its one coastal tile… and immediately turns around and unloads its two Berzerks onto land upon seeing 2 Dromons there.

@Rotterdam: A large number of Knights and Berzerks is camped outside the city, ready to attack it next turn.

Notes:

-I've probably been a little careless with worker management and micromanagement and maybe even a little bit military units, so my bad if some worker is doing something that's not very productive.
-I'm fairly certain Rotterdam is the last Dutch city that's off the coast, and from what I can tell, most of their cities are poorly defended, just a few spears. A couple of Galleys and Berzerks should be able to finish off the rest easily, as long as we don't run into too many Dromons.
-After they're done, we can start invading the Byzantines, and maybe also send some Knights at the Arabs. I left some military units in Northwest Russia to prepare for the Byzies, though I haven't seen much of them recently.
-What should we do with our new MGL? Knight Army? There's not really much else we could use it for, Berzerk Army would defeat the point of Amphibious Berzerks since it can't fit in a Galley.
-Remember to rebuff Moscow if it flips to us- we want to keep it out of our hands, at least for now- maybe some time in the future we'll want it to get some free techs, but right now the Temple of Artemis is helping more than the technology would. And, for that matter, let's see if we can remember which cities have which wonders in the future so we don't accidentally end up with one we don't want again. :lol:
-There's plenty of holes in the north of ex-Dutch and ex-Russian territory to fill if we want to, partly there because the Dutch expanded slow and partly there because neither of them ever bothered to clear all the Marshland.
-I think there's a decent chance the game will end before it gets back to me, depending on how quickly we can deal with the Byzantines. If this is my last set, then it's been fun, and best of luck on continuing the conquest. If it isn't, then the rest of you might like to know (especially tjs, for his time zone list in the first post) that I'll be in GMT-10 and not GMT-8 (well, GMT-7 right now with DST) by the time it gets back to me, since I'm moving to Hawaii in a few weeks for grad school.

Okay so is that Lanzelot up next? or tjs want to play?

Ding-dong, the witch is dead! :woohoo: Good work, Chox!

So am I up (at last!)? ;)

EDIT: X-posted with Nathiri, and he's right: Lanz is up, according to the roster that Chox posted just before his set (and I agreed with at the time). But I think Lanz played more recently than me, because of replaying the 'Bird's set? In which case, yes, I would like to play next...

If that's OK, I'll DL the save later today... I guess my general plans would be:

Territory/ towns:
  • Core towns
    • BFCs should now all be pretty much fully improved for Pop12 and 24 FPT; adjust as/where needed
    • Continue building Galleys/ Zerks (short-rushing as needed for minimal waste/ build-times), and sailing them north and/or west
  • Semi-core towns (founded and captured)
    • Improve BFC land-tiles, aiming for 24 FPT (if town can get to Pop12), and at least 1 shield per tile
    • Add Workers to Pop7+ towns to maximise population ASAP (e.g. Utrecht could go to Pop12)
      • In Pop12-towns, maybe chop/rush Courthouses/Markets(?) to maximise TAX%- and shield-outputs, and Lux-effects
      • If coastal, maybe chop/rush-build Harbours; if not coastal, maybe chop/rush-build Raxes
    • Build Zerks/ Knights/ Galleys, maybe Trebs (to ping Dora's Dromons?) (short-rushing as cash allows)
  • 1-shield towns (captured and newly founded)
    • Sell off any non-beneficial buildings, don't build any more
    • Build Settlers/ Slaves (chopping/ rushing as convenient/ possible), or Wealth
    • After (semi-)core is fully improved, clear+irrigate BFC-tiles (prioritise food-bonuses) for gold-farming
    • As resistors are quelled, change excess citizens to Taxmen
  • Moscow
    • Rebuff any rebellions during my set
Military:
  • Homeland/captured continental territory
    • Maintain sufficient defence-forces in each sector to continue repelling Aztec/Arab/Byzzie advances/landings
  • North/east front
    • Defeat the Dutch
    • Start on the Byzzie islands to the north (temporarily 'lend' those towns to Ozzie -- or Hannibal? -- so we don't have to defend them)
    • Move Galleys+Zerks (back) towards the Straits of Orenburg, where they can cross over to the Byzzie mainland
  • South/west front
    • Begin taking on the Arab nuisance in earnest, moving Galleys+Zerks through Kufah as needed to conquer both the east and west coasts of Arabia, aiming to get as far as the Arab/Byzzie landbridge (set up another canal there, if possible?)
MGLs:
  • If I remember right, the current MGL is only the second we've spawned to date, and we used the first one to rush-build our FP. The current MGL should therefore be used for a Knight-Army, which should then immediately be used against a soft target, enabling...
  • The next MGL to then rush Heroic Epic, ideally in a landlocked core town, and increase our MGL-spawning probability, and...
  • In the meantime, our first Knight-Army can be used to cover the Knight-stack we'll need to tear out Abu's heart(land), and for ZoC-ing any Byzzie units advancing via the Arab/Byzzie landbridge
  • All subsequent MGLs can just build additional Armies, which can either:
    • Be immediately filled with Knights for inland-assaults/ homeland defence, or
    • Be left empty for later shipment over to Azteca/Osmania (to be filled with Knights or Zerks once a beachead has been established)
Diplo:
  • No peace treaties to be signed with anyone we're currently at war with (Aztecs, Arabs, Dutch, Byzzies)
  • Sell excess Luxes to Otto and Hanni, to drain their gold-reserves/slow their research(?)
  • Continue to capitulate to any gold-demands from Hanni (at least, until our troops are massed on his borders). Then kill him (probably not on my watch, though).
Science:
  • No further slider-research needed ("We don't need no edjukayshun...")
  • After we've regained Moscow/ GLib/ Edu+, gold-farms could be changed to beaker-farms, but we should have nearly won by then...

Last edited:
Start on the Byzzie islands to the north (temporarily 'lend' those towns to Ozzie -- or Hannibal? -- so we don't have to defend them)

Whoever is further away, I'd say. Hopelessly corrupt cities won't really strengthen an AI civ, but new third- or fourth-ring cities could be more of a speed bump (e.g. if we'd given away ALL Russian cities to the Dutch, that would pose more of a problem than if we'd given them to the Ottomans and now needed to retake them).

As for Settlers, I wouldn't bother building any. By time any finish in outlying towns, they won't matter, and I think it would be a waste of time to build any in core/semi-core towns. Zerks and Galleys will give us much faster progress!

Speaking of which, do we have Arab and/or Aztec task forces ready? Or do they need another few turns to prepare?

I don't understand this. Did you rush Workers for 80g in each town, then switch to Zerk/Knights?

Yeah, that. I did that several other times in the set, too, and just didn't always mention it.

Yeah, that. I did that several other times in the set, too, and just didn't always mention it.

Bummer. That's less efficient.

Turn 0: Rush Worker for 80g, switch to Zerk
Turn 1: Earn 30 shields = 30
Turn 2: Earn 30 more shields = 70. Zerk finishes on IBT.

vs.

Turn 0: Build Zerk.
Turn 1: Earn 30 shields = 30; switch to something that costs 40 (e.g. MDI) and rush (for 40g); switch back to Zerk.
Turn 2: Earn 30 more shields = 70.

OTOH, we have tons of gold, so it's not a big deal.

For 20 spt, it would be like this:

T0: Set production to Zerk.
T1: 20 shields. Rush Settler and switch back to Zerk
T2: 50 shields.
T3: 70 shields.

Nice progress against the Dutch! See, we did not need to be afraid of their Muskets, they didn't have that many... :D
However, why didn't you already attack Byzantium? We have more than enough ships in Bryansk/Vladivostok, and with 3-4 rushed (regular) Berzerks, we have enough troops to capture and gift. The more towns we take, the more their war weariness will kick in, the more entertainers they will hire and the less they will produce.

So this will be the priority for the next turn set now: rush a few more Berzerks up there and start hurting Theodora... (Undefendable towns to be gifted to Hannibal?!)

Your general plan sounds good to me. One alternative suggestion however with regards to the MGL: do we expect to see more Muskets in the wars against Byzantium and Carthage? Then I would opt for a Berzerk-Army instead of Knight-Army. I don't think they will attack a Berzerk-Army, if we keep it on hills and mountains, and the extra "wumms" will make quite a difference against Muskets in cities! While the extra movement will not matter, if we have to wait for Knights. (I would not risk more than 1-2 attacks per turn anyway.)

Also I don't think we should waste our next MGL on the Heroic Epic: most of our core towns can build that thing in less than 10 turns... For example, if we switch Stockholm to Palace right now, we could have the Herioc Epic in 6 turns from now. (If we can get our Army into battle fast enough, but that should be possible: form an Army at Holwerd, fill with three Berzerks and kill one of the Dutch Longbows up there for a guaranteed win. Then switch Stockholm to HE and use the Army to finish off the Dutch, then walk him to Kufah and let him help with the advance into Arabia -> Carthage?!)
Big advantage would be, that we'll have the increased MGL-probability already 6 turns from now, while otherwise we would have to wait an indefinite time, before we get another MGL...

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: there is a gems resource at Holwerd. Once the area is secured, use a slave to build a colony there (building a road would take forever), and then rush a harbor in Holwerd. That should be enough to keep us happy even if more war weariness kicks in. (BTW: at the moment we can reduce the lux slider to 0%!)

I don't think, we need any Pikes.

Carthage is willing to sell Gunpowder for dyes, silks and 279g. Don't know whether we'll need it, but that's pretty cheap now and perhaps it'll be useful in coming wars to be able to see saltpeter?!

3 questions about abbreviations

#650 BFC = bonus food ____

#654 MDI = ???

#655 "wumms" = ???

BTW, nice work President Choxorn! A true Viking force to be reckoned with. I like the kill ratio reporting as do most of our bloodthirsty population!

BFC = Big Fat Cross = the 20 tiles surrounding the city in the "+" pattern.

MDI = Medieval Infantry. I use it instead of MI because Mechanized Infantry also exist in the game.

wumms = ??? I actually don't know. I'm assuming it just means attack power.

Didn't DL the save last night in the end, because I had (completely forgotten at the time of posting that I had) a date with my wife (we went to see 'Valerian' -- it was almost as silly as 'The Fifth Element', but more fun, because no Ruby Rod). Will do it tonight, and possibly also play a few turns, now that Sir Lanzelot has (mostly) approved my plan...
Your general plan sounds good to me. One alternative suggestion however with regards to the MGL: do we expect to see more Muskets in the wars against Byzantium and Carthage? Then I would opt for a Berzerk-Army instead of Knight-Army. I don't think they will attack a Berzerk-Army, if we keep it on hills and mountains, and the extra "wumms" will make quite a difference against Muskets in cities! While the extra movement will not matter, if we have to wait for Knights. (I would not risk more than 1-2 attacks per turn anyway.)
I was thinking about a Knight-Army for the extra speed and attacks-per-turn, but I didn't read/correlate Chox's description carefully enough against his screenshot, so didn't notice that the MGL is in Holwerd, which is completely cut off, whereas most of our Knights appear to be clustered round Rotterdam.

However, I'm not hugely keen on the idea of a Zerk-Army. We can't use it for seaborne attacks (until Magnetism/Galleons, but that needs Edu-->Astro first), and taking it overland just seems like a waste: the problem with staying on high-D-bonus tiles, is that those all have MoveCost>1. So our hypothetical Zerk-Army would only only be able to advance 1-2 tiles per turn in enemy territory, whereas a Knight-Army could do at least 2-3 tiles per turn, because it will still be safe ending moves on flatland-tiles.
Also I don't think we should waste our next MGL on the Heroic Epic: most of our core towns can build that thing in less than 10 turns... For example, if we switch Stockholm to Palace right now, we could have the Herioc Epic in 6 turns from now.
Really? Have we still got that many turns left on our GA? If so, I do agree, (pre)building it would almost certainly be a better option than waiting for another MGL.
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: there is a gems resource at Holwerd. Once the area is secured, use a slave to build a colony there (building a road would take forever), and then rush a harbor in Holwerd. That should be enough to keep us happy even if more war weariness kicks in. (BTW: at the moment we can reduce the lux slider to 0%!)
Noted -- the Dutch have even been so considerate as to leave us a convenient Slave-in-waiting on the nearby mountain...
I don't think, we need any Pikes.
And I don't think, that I suggested to build any (learned that lesson from you a long time ago...) ;) Or did you mean Trebs?
wumms = ??? I actually don't know. I'm assuming it just means attack power.
I'd guess so too, a German would pronounce it as 'vooms', so I guess it's onomatopaeic (sp?) for 'Whoomph!' (And Robbus: Sorry for the jargon)

Top Bottom