1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To The Great Beyond - Space Empires!

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Daftpanzer, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

Gentlemen, time has defeated me once again - I have the map ready, but not the stats. If I wanted to make an excuse, I'd blame the Rugby World Cup and associated social drinking over the weekend. But mainly is the fact that I spent hours building and playing around with the map sat-sun, I really wanted it to feel right, aware that I can't really ret-con the map once the game has started.

BEHOLD THE MINI-GALAXY

Spoiler :

With this many players, it would be a nightmare to do private maps, and I liked the idea of having a continuum of players rather than isolated clusters. Plus, telescopes do exist. So that means you can all get to see everything from the beginning, with the proviso that you must pretend ignorance of other civilizations for now - apart, perhaps, from mysterious radio chatter from your closest neighbors, or signs of industrial pollutants picked up in spectrographs of alien worlds.

I'll take a look at the map again tomorrow. I may delete a whole load of stars, regardless it won't get any more complex.

* All star systems in realistic range of players have been given names to help identify them. Think of star catalogs with their boring codes. My idea is that systems will actually be named after the most interesting planet/settlement in that system, rather than a star (unless the settlement is named after the star...). Anyhow, you have renaming rights of any star exclusively in your space, and/or one you have settled. Its also cool to provide names for nebulas and regions of space in your neighbourhood.

** FACTIONS NOT INCLUDED: Tolni's Fyn civilization never got a starting bio or any data for their natural environment. Also NinjaCow64's Ascendancy has been omitted as his request. These were the only casualties in the end.

EDIT: also note that start positions were all interpretations of dice rolls for X and Y position, taking into account whether a 'busy' or 'quiet' start was wanted.

2. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

So yummy!

Looks great Daft!

3. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

...I like my neighbours. :3

4. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Ahem, I did indeed mess up my signup. I know that this game's packed, but would I be accepted into the next update if I edit it?

5. Zappericus

Zappericus Euro scumbag

Woo, I'm so centralized. I love it!

6. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

I'm not 100% sure. Is diplomacy allowed? Or do we have to physically meet first?

7. Daftpanzer

Thanks guys! I have a few tweaks to make to the map, I'll probably not have the official Update 0 until Tuesday night now as I really need to catch up on sleep, but we'll see how far I get this evening.

Sorry, I effectively gave your place to Belgarion95, I assumed you had lost interest... But I'm happy to put you to the top of the 'waiting list', I suspect there will inevitably be some no-shows or drop outs in the first few turns.

I image all you have is some fuzzy radio chatter at the moment, mainly accidental broadcasts, things hard to decipher. Perhaps you've attempted to exchange messages with a neighbour, but you're waiting years for each reply ;). Feel free to post your radio broadcast, but I'd like to limit any meaningful IC diplo to where you've have direct contact with another player (ship-ship or ship-planet).

8. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

So something along the lines of Stars without Number? Where messages cannot be sent between systems in any way other than on spaceships moving at superluminal speeds?

9. Daftpanzer

Well I imagined you'd have something like quantumn communicators within your own civilization (if we're already taking the leap that you have warp drives). So you can at least send something like a telegraph signal, but only between pairs of quantumnly-entangled devices. Otherwise, I'm imagining miscellaneous small ships not shown on the map.

10. Cadellon

Cadellon Nightrunner

I'll defenitely join once a spot opens. I have a pretty good idea of what I'd want to play, too.

11. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

The first radio message others will get from Tac will probably be "HI!".

12. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Ooc
    I forgot to say. I love the map design Daft. Really looking forward to this.

13. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

HyperPulse Generators, mang. :mischief:

14. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

How dare you?! My maternal grandmother was a saint.

15. Lord_Herobrine

Lord_Herobrine Back in the Saddle

Daft, is the range that we can send our ships limited to the circle around our factions?

16. Zappericus

Zappericus Euro scumbag

The United Tac and Drok Imperium would probably pick up the following encrypted message:

" .-- . .- .-. . .... . .-. . .-.-.- .-- . .- .-. . .--. . .- -.-. . ..-. ..- .-.. .-.-.- .-- . .- .-. . .... . .-. . .-.-.- .-- . .- .-. . .--. . .- -.-. . ..-. ..- .-.. .-.-.- "

17. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

wearehere.wearepeaceful.wearehere.wearepeaceful.

18. Tyo

Tyo HANDS HIGH TO THE SOUND Retired Moderator

Looks great!

19. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

OOC: Interesting that they know morse code. ;)

20. Exhera

Exhera Unorthodox Unicorn

Great map. Also, I made this:

This is the symbol for the Peaceful Union of Democratic Dscheri Isonomic Nations.