Toys you had when you were a kid

Kyriakos

Creator
Inspired by some stuff over at the tv shows thread (He-man toys, @Arakhor etc).

I mostly owned playmobil. Later on got briefly into lego but already had a computer.

The largest lego set I had was this:

1682010641120.png

Far more Playmobil, though, including pirate ships, west frontier sets, various modern age urban trash (including literally a garbage truck) and a spaceship.

But at the time there actually was a major Greek company (working with an Italian one) that produced cool toys, and had a few of those too, such as:

1682010776258.png

1682010803036.png

You can post images of your own toys from back then, and/or discuss.

Since my brother and I weren't far apart in age and I wasn't very girly we shared/fought over toys.

Hornby and Scalextric, Lego ofc and lots of little plastic Airfix soldiers. Robin Hood, the Romans and the Red Indians fought many battles over a cavalry fort and a castle we had.

One problem with lego was that the figures all looked happy (back then), unlike with other toys that had angry expressions promising death ^^
Playmobil also featured the psychotic perma-smile, but at least the human figures were more customizable.

Even the stupid ghost in that lego castle was smiling. And no, it wasn't a full lego human with a sheet covering it; iirc it had only the arms so a waste of a unit.

Legos before there were sets.

Oh, and back when everyone called them Legos, dammit, before all this knowinger-than-thou "Ackshually, the plural is LEGO" BS.

The low-tech version of JR's toy: Matchbox City:

matchbox.jpg

Folds up into a suitcase. Folds out into a world.

Last edited:
Hot Wheels Frisbees GI Joe, board games, skate board, skates that big yellow plastic sheet with running water (slip and slide???) , and building models of NASA rockets.

I had a few Playmobil, GI Joe, Transformers, hand me downs from the 60s and hand crafted ones made from wood.

20230421_093221.jpg

1962 copy of Game of Life. One of my few childhood things I have left.

Yes, I had that very Fisher Price set, JR! And possibly amadeus' Main Street one. Anyway, I somehow had the vehicles from that one, b/c I had that fire truck and milk truck. (In an era when my family got its milk delivered by a milk truck!) Oh wait, I think it might be a mail truck. It remains true, however, that we got our milk delivered when I was a kid.

Let's see what else I can bring to mind. I built model kits. The Enterprise, Romulan Bird of Prey, then I think an X-Wing (crossover before it was cool). I would hang them from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line.

An old-school toy gun that shot little plastic disks. Here you go:
gun.jpg

Now I'm going to dig up my Tonka Toys. From back when they were metal:
tonka 2.jpg
tonka.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I had that very Fisher Price set, JR! And possibly amadeus' Main Street one. Anyway, I somehow had the vehicles from that one, b/c I had that fire truck and milk truck. (In an era when my family got its milk delivered by a milk truck!)

Let's see what else I can bring to mind. I built model kits. The Enterprise, Romulan Bird of Prey, then I think an X-Wing (crossover before it was cool). I would hang them from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line.

An old-school toy gun that shot little plastic disks. Here you go:
View attachment 660131

View attachment 660132View attachment 660133

I had metal tractor and a truck. Don't think they were Tonka but reasonably thick metal.

Lite Brite

litebrite.jpg

Lite Brite, makin' things with light
What a sight, makin' things with Lite Brite.

Wasn't brand new when I got it, pic is from Ebay and says this one was 1950's, but looks like what I had, with the red box (don't remember the motor being that bright blue, so this one is in better shape, or slightly different year, but motor still did work 30 years later!.)

Lincoln logs, Lego (no sets), GI Joe, Lite brite, Atari 2600 (colecovision before that, NES after), Hot wheels

Some years ago when I was still living in America, I went in to a large farm supply store and looked to see if they still had those metal farm toys they used to make, and unless I was in the wrong section all the ones I found were made out of plastic and just didn't have that same feel to them.

I had a green tractor one that had a pull-behind wagon, I'm not sure if it was a John Deere one or what but that was something that was also around the house.

The ones I vividly remember are Hot Wheels and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line. I had not only the cartoon turtles, but the movie turtles, and the Technodrome, and the Turtle Van, and I really really wanted the turtle home but my parents were dubious about my TMNT investments.

Top Bottom