Toys you had when you were a kid

Original GI Joes were the size of Barbie dolls
Look remarkably similar to Action Man from the UK.
There was a Dr Who episode in the 70s with a giant robot where I'm pretty sure the Scorpion tank which rolled up to shoot at the giant robot was from the Action Man range. BBC special effects in the 70s were very cheap.

Look remarkably similar to Action Man from the UK.
There was a Dr Who episode in the 70s with a giant robot where I'm pretty sure the Scorpion tank which rolled up to shoot at the giant robot was from the Action Man range. BBC special effects in the 70s were very cheap.
They were sold in the UK as Action Man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe

They were sold in the UK as Action Man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe
Which was relaunched into a very specific toy line (also called Action Man) that developed into its own setting (and I think even had a TV show).

My brother and I had a ton of these. We had a couple of the villains too - looking at the list it looks like my Dr. X was the 1997 version (with a firing hand - came with a few different projectiles in that "always cool for kids" neon translucent yellow-green plastic). His eyepatch was also separate and disguised what looked like a laser eye? From memory.

Lots of Lego the above castle was my favourite.
To answer the other thread my cousins always got the bigger set.

My sister broke my action man.

My Tonka truck was smuggled in from Northern Ireland I found out later (before the creation of the single market, things were much cheaper in the UK and subject to taxes on import).
I left it in a field and my father drove over it in a tractor.

I had a good childhood despite my emphasis on the negative above.

Last edited:
I definitely did have that castle.

What was better wasn't toys, it was freedom to roam without parents worrying about strangers or traffic

I had that for a couple of years in the '70s when my dad and I lived with his girlfriend in the city (my grandparents were still on the acreage then). That, plus a bike, gave me the freedom to ride all over the neighborhood. As long as I didn't take stupid chances, do anything illegal, and got back in time for supper, nobody cared where I was.

Years later, when my grandparents, my dad, and I moved into the city, I started babysitting some of the neighbors' kids. The kids next door realized it was cool to have an older kid next door who didn't mind taking them to the nearby playground on non-babysitting days, to play Smurfs and build Smurf villages in the sand box, and to play on the swings and merry-go-round.

Sad thing about merry-go-rounds... they were removed from the playgrounds because someone decided they were lethal things.

Merry-go-rounds are only unsafe if you're not careful. Falling off a swing could actually kill you from a broken neck and landing wrong if you fall from high enough.

Sad thing about merry-go-rounds... they were removed from the playgrounds because someone decided they were lethal things.
They've since taken out all tire-swings and see-saws from schools and public parks. 'cause they're apparently "Dangerous!"

Clackers were the one toy that really did seem dangerous to me.

They've since taken out all tire-swings and see-saws from schools and public parks. 'cause they're apparently "Dangerous!"

I never got the appeal of tire swings. Tires are great places to incubate mosquito eggs in stagnant rainwater, which is a good reason not to use them as swings or leave them laying around.

Teeter-totters... a girl at my elementary school broke an ankle due to getting it in the way of the teeter-totter. I was never comfortable on those things.

I mainly had a crapton of legos, but also a lot of brio wooden trains and then graduating to actual model trains.

My favorite toy when I was super little, like 3-4, was this toy train locomotive where you could put these gears/"records" in it, and it would move forward playing 'music' through either a terrible speaker or some sort of springy metal/jews harp. Well, my sister at this stage was a newborn and still at the 'lump' stage. I apparently found it outrageously funny to have the toy locomotive drive into her as she was on the ground and knock her over.
That, combined with every parent's love of toys that make noise, saw its batteries swiftly get lost.

Missing Batteries'.jpg

Some things were dangerous. I remember climbing frames set in concrete. Good that they won't be set up like that nowadays.
Children are going to do dangerous things.
I remember jumping from dragons teeth to dragons teeth where there were some coastal defences and a snow ball fight on a building site.
Better they do it in a controlled environment than find their own peril, although they will probably still do that anyway.

Top Bottom