Trade Routes Guide

[Vanilla] Trade Routes Guide

Very interesting !

I would love to get some more information explaining how to improve a trade route in the destination city.?

i never understand how food and hammers for a specific city is calculated.

Very interesting !

I would love to get some more information explaining how to improve a trade route in the destination city.?

I'm working on that currently. Have to do more tests, before I add it to the guide.

For a domestic route its
Very interesting !

Domestic route yield is based on districts in the destination city
City Center: 1 f + 1 p
Campus: 1 f
Encampment, Commercial Hub: 1 p
*Industrial zone, Harbor: 2 p
*Holy Site, Theater Square, Entertainment District: 2 f

*bugged should be 1

Nice guide!
Do trade routes scale in civ6? For example, ive started a trade route, then build a holy site in the destination city, which adds +1 faith. Do I receive that bonus until I refresh the route?

Also, a list of civics that buff trade route yields will be great addition to the guide. Plus, Zimbabwe world wonder buffs trade routes greatly, as well as some other things.

Great Guide. Some random things to consider adding.

Colossus also gives a free trader unit, which makes their +1 trade route capacity all the more immediately useful. (Great Zimbabwe does not provide a free trader unit -- you have to build that one.)

Civic/Policy boosts to trade route yields or other Trade-route-related bonuses:

Caravanasaries (Ancient Era policy) = +2 Gold from all Trade Routes. Unlocked at Foreign Trade (Ancient Era civic) and obsoleted by Triangular Trade (Renaissance Era policy)
Triangular Trade (Renaissance Era policy) - +4 Gold and +1 Faith from all Trade Routes. Unlocked by Mercantilism (Renaissance Era civic) and obsoleted by Ecommerce (Information Era policy)
Ecommerce (Information Era policy) = +5 Production and +10 Gold from international Trade Routes. Unlocked by Globalization (Information Era civic).
Trade Confederation (Medieval Era policy) = +1 Culture and +1 Science from international Trade Routes. Unlocked by Mercenaries (Medieval civic) and obsoleted by Market Economy (Modern Era policy)
Market Economy (Modern Era policy) = International Trade Routes provide +1 Gold per Luxury and Strategic Resource improved at destination, as well as +2 Culture and +2 Science. Unlocked by Capitalism (Modern Era civic)
Arsenal of Democracy (Modern Era diplomatic policy) = Trade Routes with an Ally provide +2 Food and +2 Production for both cities. Unlocked at Suffrage (Modern Era civic).
Collectivization (Modern Era policy) = +4 Food from domestic Trade Routes. Unlocked at Class Struggle (Modern Era civic).
Online Communities (Informatoin Era policy) = +50% Tourism to civilizations to whom you have a Trade Route. Unlocked at Social Media (Information Era civic).

City-State-related trade route bonuses:

Carthage (militaristic CS) suzerain bonus = Each Encampment district provides +1 Trade Route capacity.
Amsterdam (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Trade Routes to foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each Luxury resource at the destination.
Kumasi (cultural CS) suzerain bonus = Trade Routes to any city-state provide +2 culture and +1 Gold for every specialty district in the origin city.
Jakarta (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Your Trading Posts in foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each of your Trade Routes passing through.
Lisbon (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Your Trader units are immune from being plundered on water tiles.

You can also pop a free trader unit from a tribal village, but only if you have a free trade route (most commonly happens after you unlock Foreign Trade but haven't yet built your first trader unit).

On civ bonuses, you note part of Rome's trade post bonus, but you might also note the rest of their trade/road-related bonuses and these others:

Rome = All cities start with a Trading Post. If founded within Trade Route range of Rome's capital, they also start with a road to the city. Rome's Trade Routes provide +1 Gold for passing through Trading Posts in Rome's cities.
Cleopatra's Mediterranean's Bride trait = Egypt's Trade Routes to other civilizations provide +4 Gold for Egypt. Other civilizations' Trade Routes to Egypt provide +2 Food for them and +2 Gold for Egypt.
Peter's Grand Embassy trait = Receives Science or Culture from Trade Routes with civilizations that are more advanced than Russia (+1 per 3 technologies or civics ahead).
Spain = Trade Routes between multiple continents receive bonus Gold for routes to other civilizations, and bonus Food and Production for routes between your own cities.

You might want to note that there are some Eureka/Inspiration boosts associated with trade routes:

Currency (Classical Era technology) = boosted by making a Trade Route
Medieval Faires (Medieval policy) = boosted by maintaining 4 Trade Routes

Finally, some additions to the trade-related Great Person list:

John Rockefeller (Industrial Era great merchant) = Grants 1 Oil, a strategic resource. Your Trade Routes gain +2 Gold for each Strategic Resource improved by the destination city. 1 charge.
Raja Todor Mal (Renaissance Era great merchant) = Gain 1 Envoy. Your Trade Routes to your own cities gain 0.5 Gold for each specialty district at the destination. 1 charge.
Sara Breedlove (Modern Era great merchant) = +25% Tourism towards other civilizations you have a Trade Route to. 1 charge.
Ching Shih (Industrial Era great admiral) = +100 Gold. Military units gain +60% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.
Francis Drake (Renaissance Era great admiral) = +75 Gold. Military units gain +50% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.
Rajendra Chola (Medieval Era great admiral) = +50 Gold. Military units gain +40% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.

For a domestic route its

*bugged should be 1

Thanks !!

What brings up or down the values of the trade.

How do i get a town in my network to give me the most food?
The most hammers?
Was that answered and i was reading it wrong?

please let me know.

What brings up or down the values of the trade.

How do i get a town in my network to give me the most food?
The most hammers?
Was that answered and i was reading it wrong?

please let me know.
Yes answered, its the districts (and some policies)

For a domestic route its

*bugged should be 1

Great Guide. Some random things to consider adding.

Colossus also gives a free trader unit, which makes their +1 trade route capacity all the more immediately useful. (Great Zimbabwe does not provide a free trader unit -- you have to build that one.)

Civic/Policy boosts to trade route yields or other Trade-route-related bonuses:

Caravanasaries (Ancient Era policy) = +2 Gold from all Trade Routes. Unlocked at Foreign Trade (Ancient Era civic) and obsoleted by Triangular Trade (Renaissance Era policy)
Triangular Trade (Renaissance Era policy) - +4 Gold and +1 Faith from all Trade Routes. Unlocked by Mercantilism (Renaissance Era civic) and obsoleted by Ecommerce (Information Era policy)
Ecommerce (Information Era policy) = +5 Production and +10 Gold from international Trade Routes. Unlocked by Globalization (Information Era civic).
Trade Confederation (Medieval Era policy) = +1 Culture and +1 Science from international Trade Routes. Unlocked by Mercenaries (Medieval civic) and obsoleted by Market Economy (Modern Era policy)
Market Economy (Modern Era policy) = International Trade Routes provide +1 Gold per Luxury and Strategic Resource improved at destination, as well as +2 Culture and +2 Science. Unlocked by Capitalism (Modern Era civic)
Arsenal of Democracy (Modern Era diplomatic policy) = Trade Routes with an Ally provide +2 Food and +2 Production for both cities. Unlocked at Suffrage (Modern Era civic).
Collectivization (Modern Era policy) = +4 Food from domestic Trade Routes. Unlocked at Class Struggle (Modern Era civic).
Online Communities (Informatoin Era policy) = +50% Tourism to civilizations to whom you have a Trade Route. Unlocked at Social Media (Information Era civic).

City-State-related trade route bonuses:

Carthage (militaristic CS) suzerain bonus = Each Encampment district provides +1 Trade Route capacity.
Amsterdam (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Trade Routes to foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each Luxury resource at the destination.
Kumasi (cultural CS) suzerain bonus = Trade Routes to any city-state provide +2 culture and +1 Gold for every specialty district in the origin city.
Jakarta (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Your Trading Posts in foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each of your Trade Routes passing through.
Lisbon (trade CS) suzerain bonus = Your Trader units are immune from being plundered on water tiles.

You can also pop a free trader unit from a tribal village, but only if you have a free trade route (most commonly happens after you unlock Foreign Trade but haven't yet built your first trader unit).

On civ bonuses, you note part of Rome's trade post bonus, but you might also note the rest of their trade/road-related bonuses and these others:

Rome = All cities start with a Trading Post. If founded within Trade Route range of Rome's capital, they also start with a road to the city. Rome's Trade Routes provide +1 Gold for passing through Trading Posts in Rome's cities.
Cleopatra's Mediterranean's Bride trait = Egypt's Trade Routes to other civilizations provide +4 Gold for Egypt. Other civilizations' Trade Routes to Egypt provide +2 Food for them and +2 Gold for Egypt.
Peter's Grand Embassy trait = Receives Science or Culture from Trade Routes with civilizations that are more advanced than Russia (+1 per 3 technologies or civics ahead).
Spain = Trade Routes between multiple continents receive bonus Gold for routes to other civilizations, and bonus Food and Production for routes between your own cities.

You might want to note that there are some Eureka/Inspiration boosts associated with trade routes:

Currency (Classical Era technology) = boosted by making a Trade Route
Medieval Faires (Medieval policy) = boosted by maintaining 4 Trade Routes

Finally, some additions to the trade-related Great Person list:

John Rockefeller (Industrial Era great merchant) = Grants 1 Oil, a strategic resource. Your Trade Routes gain +2 Gold for each Strategic Resource improved by the destination city. 1 charge.
Raja Todor Mal (Renaissance Era great merchant) = Gain 1 Envoy. Your Trade Routes to your own cities gain 0.5 Gold for each specialty district at the destination. 1 charge.
Sara Breedlove (Modern Era great merchant) = +25% Tourism towards other civilizations you have a Trade Route to. 1 charge.
Ching Shih (Industrial Era great admiral) = +100 Gold. Military units gain +60% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.
Francis Drake (Renaissance Era great admiral) = +75 Gold. Military units gain +50% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.
Rajendra Chola (Medieval Era great admiral) = +50 Gold. Military units gain +40% reward when plundering sea Trade Routes.

Whao, good job compiling that! Added them to the guide.

When a trade route give you +5 gold and take 2 turns you gain 10 gold in total
When a trade route give you +5 gold and take 1 turn you gain 5 gold in total.

Why did you write :

You want your trade routes take the least amount of time, since that is the time the trader is out of your control and stuck on the current route (unless you declare war on the player you are trading with).

I think I misunderstood something.
Thank you

When a trade route give you +5 gold and take 2 turns you gain 10 gold in total
When a trade route give you +5 gold and take 1 turn you gain 5 gold in total.

Why did you write :

I think I misunderstood something.
Thank you
Because if a trade route takes 2 turns +5 gold...you get 10 gold over 2 turns

if a trade route takes 1 turn +5 gold... you send the trade route once for 5 gold... and then send it again next turn for another 5 gold

either way you get 10 gold, but the second way you have more flexibility (in case other options open up)

The district yields for foreign trade routes
3 gold: City Center, Commercial Hub, Harbor
1 prod: Industrial Zone, Encampment
1 food: Entertainment District
1 science: Campus
1 culture: Theater Square
1 faith: Holy Site

In the section on why to build trade routes, one reason to include is to get the trading posts, which you explain nicely below. You will of course get the other benefits (roads, gold, etc.) but on many map types selecting your trade routes carefully to get trading posts up early seems to be valuable. By strategically using your 1 or 2 early trade routes for a different destination each time, you will put up trading posts that will be valuable later, not so more for the small bonuses but for the extended routes. In many games, I try to build trading posts in my own cities for precisely this reason. Usually the travel time between my own cities is short, so I'm not wasting too much time (and I'm getting roads). The benefits of these posts for extending my routes later on can be enormous. Especially important to get trading posts in coastal cities.

A few other issues that weren't really addressed:
  • War with a 3rd party and trading routes.
  • Filthy barbarians and how to avoid them messing with your routes. Thinking of both barb busting in the early game and later game seagoing barbarians.
  • What happens to trading posts during war; can you continue to pass through if the route is with some other player?

Typo corrections for the Trade Routes Guide:
The number on the left of the ‘/’ is the number of trade routes that (are) running currently, and the number on the right is capacity of trader routes you can run.
This is where the problem is (in) vanilla Civ 6 arises. Trade screens show the absolute distance, and not the turns remaining to complete trade route.
Hope is not lost though! There is another thing (that) affects the turns the trade route will take - the number of trips the trader takes to the destination. After testing for a few days there (, here) are the things I found:
  • Number of trips is not affected by the current era, techs/civis (civics, policies?), buildings, districts.

Top Bottom