Tree types

I was never sold on the idea that all forests looking alike on any given continent. If anything I'd like that graphical diversity be tied to geography like acces to water, altitude and distance to the tropics.

So for example, conifer trees could appear further north and south or, in hilly terrain close to mountains. You can leave the leafy trees for grassland, and even add a savanah for forests close to deserts, heck you could even have Mangrooves if the forest is coastal, tropical and near a marsh or river. You could also apply the same idea to the rest of the terrains, like Cenotes being a jungle equivalent of Oasis, rivers on mountains getting waterfalls. Diferent kinds of coasts (we have cliffs thats a start) like caribean tropical beaches,etc.

You could even tie certain rare biome combos to habitability and appeal, and make those spots even more interesting for national parks.
But I guess that's material for mods, or DLC's.

What about those "rainforests" which are actually collection of palm trees :nono:?! When did this rainforest=palm trees thing even started?

What about those "rainforests" which are actually collection of palm trees :nono:?! When did this rainforest=palm trees thing even started?
Incidentally, the most common tree species in Amazonia is the palm species Euterpe precatoria, a relative of the açaí palm Euterpe oleracea), whose sweet berries are growing in popularity worldwide. The researchers estimate that 5.2 billion Euterpe precatoria live in Amazonia.

http://www.livescience.com/40508-few-tree-species-dominate-amazon-rainforest.html

Here is a picture of Euterpe Precatoria:

Spoiler :

No there were three types: conifers, leave trees and jungle trees.

There were actually four types. :p

Coniferous, deciduous, the jungle, and a snowy coniferous type. The jungle was the only one with different mechanics; the other three were more or less interchangable except for appearance.

And as far as that goes, I'd very much like to return to that for purely graphical reasons -- because the same tree being found on both mediterranean-esque coastlines and in the middle of Alaska irritates me.
(I'd also like two types of rainforest, one more tropical and the other more cloud forest-y, but by that point the excess graphical tree types might be getting a bit out of hoof.)

Look at the very same article you posted. Look at the picture there. Now look at this article. Look at the pictures here. Tell me if any of those resemble the collection of palm trees some media decided rainforests look like.

The quote was from a scientific article.
The most numerous tree in the Amazon Rainforest is a palm. Therefore, your objection is incorrect. :)

Here are some pictures of palms in the Amazon Rainforest:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Please note that palms in the Civ VI rainforest make up a small part of the tile graphics. While they may not perfectly depict all rainforests correctly, as there are many in the world, I think they generally do a good job.

The quote was from a scientific article.
The most numerous tree in the Amazon Rainforest is a palm. Therefore, your objection is incorrect. :)
There was nothing in the article that said the Amazon was a collection of palm trees. The number given for that specific palm was 5,2 billion. And above that, they gave a 400 billion trees estimate. So, your article didn't make my objection "incorrect" at all.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Nice cherry-picking. The last one doesn't even feature palm trees, but rather tree ferns, a totally different type of plant. Try looking for a birds-eye view of any rainforest that shows an uniformity of palm trees, and you'll have a hard time. Here are some searches. That's because palm trees are generally found near water, or forming the understory beneath the canopy.

There was nothing in the article that said the Amazon was a collection of palm trees. The number given for that specific palm was 5,2 billion. And above that, they gave a 400 billion trees estimate. So, your article didn't make my objection "incorrect" at all.

Nice cherry-picking. The last one doesn't even feature palm trees, but rather tree ferns, a totally different type of plant. Try looking for a birds-eye view of any rainforest that shows an uniformity of palm trees, and you'll have a hard time. Here are some searches. That's because palm trees are generally found near water, or forming the understory beneath the canopy.

Well, since your mind is made up, you only have one thing to do. That is, complain to the designers of the game. Tell them that palms should not be in rainforests at all, even if it is scientifically accurate. Have fun with that. :)

By the way, the rainforest in Brazil is not the only rainforest in the world.

Here are some pictures of other rainforests in the world for your edification:

Indonesia:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Philippines:

Spoiler :

There are palms in rainforests all over the world. Do they make up a majority of trees in the rainforest? No. Do they make up the majority of trees in the rainforest graphics of Civ VI? No. Therefore, there is no problem with the graphics. While, not perfect by any means, they are a reasonable depiction.

Well, since your mind is made up, you only have one thing to do. That is, complain to the designers of the game. Tell them that palms should not be in rainforests at all, even if it is scientifically accurate. Have fun with that. :)
I'm completely fine with complaining here to my fellows ;). It is you who seems sore with the complaint / discussion. :dunno:

By the way, the rainforest in Brazil is not the only rainforest in the world.
You'll note I've posted search links for Congo, Borneo and Papua New Guinea.

Here are some pictures of other rainforests in the world for your edification:

Indonesia:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Philippines:

Spoiler :
Thank you for your attempts at my edification. There are some flaws with those pictures, as the first Indonesian one focuses on a spot without showing a good view of the canopy; the second one shows a non-palm canopy pretty clearly, behind the central two palms; and the Philippine one shows a concentration of palm trees on a river shore, like I said earlier, with non-palms dominating the background canopy. In genuine rainforests, all around the World, palm trees are abundant on the understory and near water, never on the canopy.

There are palms in rainforests all over the world. Do they make up a majority of trees in the rainforest? No. Do they make up the majority of trees in the rainforest graphics of Civ VI? No. Therefore, there is no problem with the graphics. While, not perfect by any means, they are a reasonable depiction.
They are the only tall vegetation depicted on the graphics. In your opinion that might be a reasonable depiction, I heavily disagree, though.

There were actually four types. :p

Coniferous, deciduous, the jungle, and a snowy coniferous type. The jungle was the only one with different mechanics; the other three were more or less interchangable except for appearance.

And as far as that goes, I'd very much like to return to that for purely graphical reasons -- because the same tree being found on both mediterranean-esque coastlines and in the middle of Alaska irritates me.
(I'd also like two types of rainforest, one more tropical and the other more cloud forest-y, but by that point the excess graphical tree types might be getting a bit out of hoof.)

As someone who thinks the temperate rainforests of the Pacific Northwest are the most beautiful place in the world, I'd love to see non-tropical rainforests (granted, those are a little different from the laurel forests you alluded to).

I agree that seeing what look like spruce trees in what should be warm climates looks very wrong; I hope we either see more diverse forests by release or that a modder fixes it quickly (and that mods work offline this time).

I'm completely fine with complaining here to my fellows ;). It is you who seems sore with the complaint / discussion. :dunno:

You'll note I've posted search links for Congo, Borneo and Papua New Guinea.

Thank you for your attempts at my edification. There are some flaws with those pictures, as the first Indonesian one focuses on a spot without showing a good view of the canopy; the second one shows a non-palm canopy pretty clearly, behind the central two palms; and the Philippine one shows a concentration of palm trees on a river shore, like I said earlier, with non-palms dominating the background canopy. In genuine rainforests, all around the World, palm trees are abundant on the understory and near water, never on the canopy.

They are the only tall vegetation depicted on the graphics. In your opinion that might be a reasonable depiction, I heavily disagree, though.

Meh. You can heavily disagree all you like. Railing on about it on these forums won't do any good. Either talk to the designers or I suppose make your own graphics mod or convince someone else to do it. Those are your options.

The goal of the designers was to make things easily identifiable. They've done that with rainforests. People when they see them immediately know what they are. They may not be a perfect representation but they are functional.

Agree to disagree. :)

I also think it would be a nice + to have a bit of graphic diversity for things like forest. Currently I think that seeing only pine trees seems just a bit too simple and also the forests have so little density. But it still looks good (and very easy to read), it's just a bit more diversity and richness would make maps more interesting and beautiful to look at which would be satisfying :]

I think about natural wonders, I really like the concept of that, I think sometimes it would be nice if some of them take up more than a tile, randomly. Like the great coral reef, can it take more than a tile? Randomly make it 3-10 tiles or something, and the bonuses reasonably small enough that it's not imba. Some special such tiles could even have no bonuses at all or... I've seen there is a special huge mountain of like 3 tiles, I like that, but I think if it's random its even nicer, so that no two maps are the same and you can find quite different and interesting setups.

Top Bottom