Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

When I try to pillage workboats with my privateers, the sound effects play but the workboat is not destroyed and I do not get any gold.Is this a bug or intentional?

The owner of the fishing/harvest boats will have the Defensive Trait, which prevents pillaging. I haven't figured out how to disable the pillage button in the UI yet though.

When I received the event of a retired naval officer making the dockyards better - I got an armory (for land units) instead of a naval arsenal (for water units). I assume this is a bug?

Sort of. It's a BTS event that doesn't translate well to HR's array of buildings. The only buildings that make sense for it are the Drydock or the Armoury. The former is a regular building, thus a fairly lacklustre reward. The latter is usually only obtainable via a Great General, therefore a better reward but one that's all about land units. It can't grant a Naval Arsenal because that's a National Wonder.

I've just never got around to reworking it.

When i started my game, I noticed that the City defense number was 60% from the start (no walls) and that as the game progressed it increased to 240%. Much higher than 1.24. Is this intentional or is it a bug?

What leader were you playing as?

As to the pillaging, I have not been able to do it for several leaders and not just the Defensive Leaders.

As to the Armory vs Naval Arsenal, a solution would be to make the Naval Arsenal a regular building - the equivalent of a Military Armory. A Naval Arsenal should be of the same level as a Naval Arsenal - they fulfill the same functions.

The leader I was playing with is Pericles of the Greeks.

As to the pillaging, I have not been able to do it for several leaders and not just the Defensive Leaders.

The leader I was playing with is Pericles of the Greeks.

If you could post saved games of these situations (if they occur again), would be helpful.

As to the Armory vs Naval Arsenal, a solution would be to make the Naval Arsenal a regular building - the equivalent of a Military Armory. A Naval Arsenal should be of the same level as a Naval Arsenal - they fulfill the same functions.

They're not functionally equivalent in terms of gameplay. The Naval Arsenal has an effect that is much too powerful to be a regular building and it's necessary as a replacement for a few Unique Wonders.

I will try to find the past games with the pillaging problem. If it occurs again, I will post them.

Concerning the Armory and Naval Arsenal, I see that they are not functionally equivalent in game play. My suggestion was making them functionally equivalent to match historical effects. Armories were storage houses for weapons, supplies, ammunition, etc. Naval Arsenals perform, in reality, the same function but for sea units (although the Viennese Naval Arsenal historically included a construction component). How is the Naval Arsenal so powerful? It only provides 2x XP for sea units compared to the 4x XPs for land units provided by the Armory? (The two are arguable equivalent (or the Armory is more powerful) in production with 1x hammer for each sea tile for the Naval Arsenal and 50% reduction in production for land units with the Armory? I have played many games manually giving the Naval Arsenal produced sea units equivalent XPs and have not seen any imbalance.

How is the Naval Arsenal so powerful?

+1 production on water tiles. This is a wonder-level bonus and thus so is the building it is attached to.

Last edited:
I must oppose your explanation justifying the Naval Arsenal as a National Wonder and the Armory is a common building. Allow me to explain.

1st) Assume the Naval Arsenal is located in in a coastal city with 10 of its available 20 production tiles available Ocean tiles. This yields 1 Extra Prod per Ocean tile worked for the Naval Arsenal for water units with a total bonus of 10 Prod for each turn (assuming all Ocean tiles are worked).
2nd) In contrast, the Armory reduces production time (practically eliminating the expenditure of half of the required production points) by 50%. Assume the unit being produced is a Modern Armor Unit costing 450 Prod. Half the cost (and time) would result in reduction of 225 points for the Modern Armor
3rd) Assume a Missile Cruiser (costing 525 Prod) is being built in the coastal city with the Naval Arsenal. (costing 525 Prod). The presence of the Arsenal (with ten worked Ocean tiles due to the Arsenal would contribute only an extra 10 Prod per turn (say 100 Prod over the time to produce) the Missile Cruiser)
4th) Whereas, the Armory would contribute 225 Prod overall to the production of the Modern Armor.

Given these mathermatical calculations it is apparent that the Armory is much more powerful than the Naval Arsenal (it even gives more XPs) and that the Naval Arsenal should not be a National Wonder and should be a mere building (also to allow it to be built in other ports as mere buildings as they were fairly common, like Armories. I would also suggest increasing the number of XPs Naval Arsenals provide to ships to bring them more in line with the Arsenals.

This argument is no it meant to reduce the current abilities of the Armory or to raise the Armory to be a National Wonder. Armories and Arsenals were common military buildings that do not deserve special status. It is meant to increase the abilities of the Naval Arsenal to those of its Military counterpart - the Arsenal - and reduce its status to a mere building.

CivilizationIV.ini in Documents/Civ4/ has game generation settings from the base game (game speed, starting era, map size, etc).
Spoiler looks kind of like this :
; GameSpeed options are GAMESPEED_QUICK/GAMESPEED_NORMAL/GAMESPEED_EPIC/GAMESPEED_MARATHON
GameSpeed = GAMESPEED_QUICK

; Era options are ERA_ANCIENT/ERA_CLASSICAL/ERA_MEDIEVAL/ERA_RENAISSANCE/ERA_INDUSTRIAL/ERA_MODERN
Era = ERA_ANCIENT

; Sealevel options are SEALEVEL_LOW/SEALEVEL_MEDIUM/SEALEVEL_HIGH
SeaLevel = SEALEVEL_MEDIUM

; Climate options are CLIMATE_ARID/CLIMATE_TEMPERATE/CLIMATE_TROPICAL
Climate = CLIMATE_TEMPERATE

; Worldsize options are WORLDSIZE_DUEL/WORLDSIZE_TINY/WORLDSIZE_SMALL/WORLDSIZE_STANDARD/WORLDSIZE_LARGE/WORLDSIZE_HUGE
WorldSize = WORLDSIZE_SMALL
(They're the settings on the left side of the custom game screen that are changed with dropdown menus.)

If I change those settings in the ini file, the defaults for custom games are set to whatever I picked.

Is there any way I can change those defaults for settings added by History Rewritten?

I'm aware of and interested in these three in particular:
Spoiler :
Coastal Waters | (1 tile/1-3 tiles) (extra features or not)
Natural Wonders | (random/none/few/normal/many)
Start Locations | (everywhere vs old world) (culturally linked or not)
(I don't believe there are any others, but please correct me if I'm wrong)

I checked History Rewritten.ini in Mods/History Rewritten/ but it was very different.
Spoiler my copy of History Rewritten.ini :
[CONFIG]

; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

; Skip Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 1

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

; No Custom Scenario option in main menu
NoCustomScenario = 0

; No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

; Read Game options from XML, not .ini
ForceGameOptions = 0

; Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

; Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 0

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = History Rewritten 1.24.1

; Description of Mod
Description = A Work in Progress

I also went looking through the XML and Python files for clues but I did not find anything there either.

Hi Xyth,

Playing on version 1.24, I realized that Machine Gun and Anti-tank units doesn't appear on the military unit-upgrade tree (on civiliopedia). Maybe because they can not be upgraded, neither you can get them via upgrade?

Also, I'm not able to build up Anti-tank units. My opponents looks they are able, or at least some of them. I'm ending the game, researching Future Tech, so I must be able. On civilopedia there are no requirements stated for this unit (only to own the technology, Rocketry I think).

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi Xyth,

hope you doing well. Just to say a couple of things, I know maybe won't be applied in near future, but let me just record those suggestions on this forum:
  • Mercenaries civic: I don't use this civic ever, I find it's unit maintenance (1wealth per unit) is very punitive. Wouldn't lower this maintenance cost? The other effect attached to this civic is to decrease the war weariness, so it's a civic it could be useful just when you are in war, and when you are in war is also the moment when you have a lot of units to maintain. So I find it inconsistent.
  • Corporations: sometimes I find there are too much active corporations in game, so there's a mess which is difficult to take control. It would be easy to apply an option (when setting the game) similar to the "less religions" option? I mean an option for a game having available only 2/3 of the corps./syndicates. It could be applied in 2 different ways: randomly selecting for every game some specific corporations to be available, or disabling the rest of the corporations once the 2/3 of all of them have been created (don't matter which ones)
Thanks!

Hi folks,
playing on windows and 1.24 HR version.

The War Chariots Quest says "an additional reward option will be available if your civilization have a state religion".

So I have state religion and this option it doesn't appears available to me. It seems a bug.
Here I attach a saved game just the turn before triggering the quest, you will see is not possible to choice the reward.

Attachments

• quest bug.CivBeyondSwordSave
    381.3 KB · Views: 130
hi guys,

really, defensive you say ( i fought Arabia),
ll have a look. though i wonder, using the pillage , wasted my units movement i think.
ill re visit this.

rsab,
Out Of Sync Error of Doom :)
when an mp game is not "the same" for playing humans.
common error, not so much in kmod based mods though.
but we did play linux and win so maybe a rare issue, happen on prophet religion founding if i remeber.
we loaded the game and continued.
had quite plenty of turns with no issues.

this is a wonderful mod.
i hope xyth will return.

though i wonder, using the pillage , wasted my units movement i think.
Yes, you can't pillage over a Defensive leader, but if you click the pillage action it waste your movement anyway. It's the price you pay for forgetting the trait of your enemy ;-)

Hey Keldath, if you like playing on multiplayer take a look on a recent thread were we talk about multiplayer HistoryRewritten games. We are a small community with a Discord group were we arrange games. You're very welcome to join.
Here the invite to the Discord group:
https://discord.gg/JMcRJg5v

hi,
It's the price you pay for forgetting the trait of your enemy ;-)
hehe well, a trap that is not welcoming new players :)
perhaps i can add a code in the build order for the sdk.
the latest stable is 1.25 right?

MP -
first , because i saw that thread, i offered my friend to play HW...
usually i stick to my mod, i started to fan out a bit.
i play once a week a few hours, hard to commit to an ongoing play.
but its tempting, i might check it out :)
thank you, appriciated.

1.25 is not very stable, the AI is not exactly working correctly. but if you are playing 1v1 it should be stable for that.

well i figured that much.

i had a look at the source code,
xyth added advanced diplomacy and super forts.
the AD , always had issues, i didnt add it to my mod.
the super forts - i recently merged it as well, but i added some ai code and fixes to it.

if i hadnt had my Doto mod, i would have worked on helping our this Gem of a mod.
anyway version 124 is great, maybe we could get only the easier parts our of 125.

Hi peeps,

my game keeps crashing at exactly the same interval. I have created a pastebin file with the log and stuff. the link and PW are below.
I should probably note that I am running with the Smartmap mod enabled, but I have had this type of late game crash also without any other mod installed besides HR.
The thing that stands out to me is a repetition of the following line in the log: DCN: Error! LEADER_ARGISHTI is not a valid entry. So maybe it has something to do with a new civ being created due to dissent and civil war and stuff and duplicate civs being disabled in the settings of the game. Tigranes of the Armenians is also in the game in this instance. Then again, I have no clue how all this works.

thx in advance und viel spa$

PW: P0e7TzA9te

https://pastebin.com/1bMnttAL

Top Bottom