Reference number: 27479
Your name: Gamewizard
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1220AD
Turns played: 182
Base score: 1314
Final score: 3650
Time played: 8:19:00

I finished with ALOT of units. I just kept building/buying knights...felt like I had an endless supply of horses. I was slowed down trying to get Paris and Istanbul (Great Wall). I probably could have been more aggressive and sacrificed some units but there is just something that bothers me when I lose them, so I played it cautious.

Turn 88 win is truly impressive, no matter what I think of the way you take loans and then DOW. Congratulations.

Game date:1080AD
Turns played:168
Base score:1251
Final score:3790
Time played:10:12:00

Crossed mountain to take a turkish city between Paris and Istanbul and took turks out 1st. Then plopped a citadel south of Paris and took it and Rome on same turn. Rome with just mounted units and quinqeeremes. It was a close shave, but had reinforcemnts coming just in case.

I should have prebuilt more of a road and scouted better. I would have realized i could take maya and dutch with boats alone as the access to those caps was good. Rome was really bad for that but since i built my only city with coast access on salt SE of starting location i had no choice. I think if i replay it, 120t finish might be possible. Without any AI abuse or cap selling. I never do these things in any game but especially not in GOTM. I didnt sell any cities this game, either razed or kept them.

I think the UA was very useful here, too bad my achievemnt didnt trigger for some reason, especially since i declared on Rome before my units were anywhere near him, when i spotted his ballista close to a mounitan. Maybe thats why, it was not in his territory.

88 turns very impressive, especially without map knowledge. Forward cities will become a standard operating procedure for this kind of map.:goodjob: tommy

turn 88 win tommynt

Awesome :goodjob:

I was thinking today when at work how you did that. Your description opened my eyes(you edited later).

That's logic after all. I didn't want to go with CBs all the way because i wasn't sure how the king AI would react after the turn 100. If i would replay my game maybe i would have hit below 120 turns(without libraries and NC of course) with CBs only but still not close from your finish date. Maybe my strategy would had fit more for emperor/immortal after all. Lack of AI knowledge will always hit me somewhere in my games. I just don't have the patience to play enough of these.

You really hit the major decision : satellite cities near capitals. Lesson learned. Thanks. Though i really liked my absolutely amazing long road :lol:

But...how did you miss your video? :confused: That thing never happened to me. What the camstudio records is always what is in front of me.

I did like your road too Tabarnak, I had one going about halfway through the continent, and the few river crossings ( just two tiles on both sides connected by road). I built a city in the middle of eastern landless, but too late and only used it upgrade LSM to muskets.

I did like your road too Tabarnak, I had one going about halfway through the continent, and the few river crossings ( just two tiles on both sides connected by road). I built a city in the middle of eastern landless, but too late and only used it upgrade LSM to muskets.

Such long road + loads of units - how didnt u guys get broke?

Satalite cities as upgrade buy/base is very old concept used in mp often - I think I used it in every GOTM dom game - maybe its never been as effictive as in this. Might do a replay of 1. 45 turns so u see the concept - but then its obvious and easy anyway.
After 45 turns its pure simple execution. And they take only like half an hour or bit more.

Loans from ai have hardly been gamebreaking - early loans been mainly broken by me by steeling workers (u can hardly argue against that) and later on by attacking/wiping out. So obviously I do empty AI cash bag before killing it - but why shouldnt I?

btw I did rush buy/build some chariot archers after I teched to CB and upgraded - they are actually way more cost/power effective as CB - havent really bothered with them before but they are only 1 point = 1/10 weaker as Cb and cost only 2/3 of its costs - they r really damn cheap - and move 4 tiles ... and on biggest plus ai cities seem to target pririze them often and dont bother with attack scouts/warris instead - guess most time they just attack weakest unit in sight.

But...how did you miss your video? That thing never happened to me. What the camstudio records is always what is in front of me.
happened too me oftn before when tabbing, it then switches to the tab and never gets back to civ. but this time I avoided tabbing as I know about this problem and still ...

Nice to see you back. :)

Why thank you!

Hammer Rabbi really cooked up a nice wee game for us. The pressure is on Leif for your next turn!

;)

but seriosuly, how close are we to something a bit more concrete with the rules? its still called a training series.

I think we all empty the AI cashbag as you call it;) I get everything I can out of them before a DOW. I just don't repeat it as it's against HOF rules and once real GOTM starts prolly will be here too. so if I steal AI worker and cash I will stay at war until I take his cap, and don't get me wrong I don't fault you for doing it ad there are obvious costs to it now.

I was swimming in cash thanks to tithe and my religion spreading like wilfire. I had MP and Perta later as well and since I kept all the caps plenty of gold coming in from those. Apart from Theodora I left everyone alive and they kept buying my luxes for just a bit less then half price.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 46
Date submitted: 2012-10-20
Reference number: 27489
Your name: Kyfe
Game date: 1967AD
Turns played: 387
Base score: 5229
Final score: 6790
Time played: 10:27:00
Submitted save: GoM 46.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Kyfe_C504601.Civ5Save

Ridiculous amounts of resources on this map. I finished with about 20 Rocket Artillery, 10 Modern Armor, and 9 Stealth Bombers with plenty of Aluminum to spare. I ended up conquering almost every single city in the game covering the entire map (including all but 4 of the City States because the Maya were allied to all of them and if they were in the way, I just went through them ;) ) There was only 1 French city left and 2 of Suleiman's when I finished.

Your name: shooter6947
Game date: 1911AD
Turns played: 331
Base score: 3134
Final score: 4748
Time played: 20:51:00

I wasn't trying to finish fast -- domination isn't the most interesting victory condition for me. So I expanded my empire until I filled up the space allocated to me, then settled a big island (the one at the western edge of the map). When I finally did take everyone out, it was laughably easy. Guess I shoulda went after them earlier ;)

Game date: 700AD
Turns played: 145

The UU played a small role, just as a fast 3 movement melee unit to capture the cities once their bars were zero. The boat was worthless, I built a couple but was on the north coast so beyond finding a couple CS it could do nothing. (And whats with the ice blockade to the northwest? Was that added by the map maker?)

Prebuilt bows and upgraded to composite to kill the civs to the left (Byz and Germany). Prebuilt more to upgrade to crossbows splitting into two fronts, Roman/France and the previous group eventually moving to Maya and Dutch. Built a road south and southwest, but my army eventually caught and passed the road builders so I stopped. Roads are just entirely too costly.

I did trade countless luxuries to get all the (very limited) gold the AI managed to generate, but that was really a pittance compared to the gold I garners by getting tribute from the CS. I ended up with like 3000g. At a certain point I stopped building units or rushing, I took very little casualties.

My goal was to have both armies meet up and take out Ottoman, but it was quite easy with the mountain attribute for the group taking out France to just move south and get the final AI Civ.

I didn't bother getting the Civs to do anything for me, they pretty much hated me from the beginning after I took a CS worker and declared on both Byz and Germany. Although, I did have a pass in the night event with both France and Ottoman, so I declared long before reaching their borders to take out their army in the field. I also let Ottoman take out a CS cause I've never liberated one and decided that may be fun. My other army was marching on his Cap so I don't think this delayed me much.

turn 88 win tommynt

Great job!

There was a moment when I was considering the same, I think my 3rd city while I was scouting Roman lands, but I was hurting for happiness and gold and needed to get some nearby luxuries and hand build my army. I ended up going for some incense (for the quarry production) and silk which I was unable to get from the AI at all. I also still thought a coastal attack may be necessary.

I may have to replay and give this a try, how many cities did you end up settling?
I remember way back doing this sort of thing in Civ3. But that was mostly because you had to have a barrack in a city to heal troops, so you had to build these out lying "outposts" for any reasonable war machine.

I may have to replay and give this a try, how many cities did you end up settling?

settled 3 core cities and then 2 outpost cities 1 at roman on copper and one between maya and dutch.
All core cities switched from grannies and mounuments to archers only after I figured its a single landmass. I suggest to build at least 10 archers to upgrade before teching cb and then build only melee units/ chariot archers

Game date: 920AD
Turns played: 156
Base score: 998
Final score: 3219
Time played: 3:59:00

For some reason I stopped building the superhighway for about 30 turns. Had a really slow walk to Istanbul :cry:

I got to turn 75, then checked out the in progress thread. When I saw just how fast others were pushing thru the AI, I gave up, came to the after action thread, saw the sub 150 finishes and decided I'm probably not even going to bother anymore. So at this point I think I'll just submit where I'm at and call this a loss, because I have absolutely no chance at even finishing in the top half of however many games end up being submitted.

Date submitted: 2012-10-22
Reference number: 27510
Your name: Monthar
Game status: Incomplete Retired
Game date: 1000BC
Turns played: 75
Base score: 147
Final score: 147
Time played: NA
Submitted save: TSG46_Break1.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C504601.Civ5Save

Your name: thichcoilen
Game date: 1610 AD
Turns played: 232
Base score: 1505
Final score: 2963

Well, i spent more time that it needed for sure. It should be like 40 turns less, i built too many buildings and move all the units together - should attack few civilizations at the same time.

Tommynt: Great job, i am waiting for your video to learn from it.

...So at this point I think I'll just submit where I'm at and call this a loss,...

Aww come on, you should have finished and submitted. I try to read everyone's game reports because I learn a lot, even from the losers.

Heck, I had one of the slowest finish times on this one because I tried ICSing on this game, which worked as far as making a solid empire but failed miserably at a fast domination win. At least I can mark that strategy off for my "what works for a fast domination win" list. :D

Game date: 1290AD
Turns played: 189
Base score: 990
Final score: 2675
Time played: 4:59:00

had a very bad start... after like 70 turns i noticed all capitals i discovered so far were coastal and decided to not really try to compete for the fastest time anymore, but have some fun with naval warfare only. teched to galleasses and later astronomy and navigation and kicked the AIs asses counterclockwise one after the other, starting with the ottomans and finishing off the dutch at last. would have been way faster if i had a city on the south/west coast earlier and had built a navy of several flotillas to capture multiple caps simultaneously... but it was a lot of fun anyway :D

Top Bottom