Two New Unit Variations: a Roman & Eastern Cataphract

Originally posted by Yoda Power
Kryten-How did you paint the cataphract yellow and still kept the contures? I know you used PSP, but what feature?

Well Yoda, I described the method in this post :- :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1322263#post1322263

The PaintShop tool in question is the 'Colour to Target' facility, which can only be used after you have pasted the picture in question onto a 16 million colour (24 bit) background.

Another useful tool (which also requires a 24 bit image), is the 'Saturation Down' facility. This washes out all the colour hues, but keeps the shading, thus converting the colour pixels to 'grey'. This is a perfect way of changing flesh or cloth into iron looking armour. ;)

Thank you:goodjob: I will try it.

edit-ok I think I figured it out. But how do I change the colour?

Originally posted by Kryten

Well Yoda, I described the method in this post :- :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1322263#post1322263

The PaintShop tool in question is the 'Colour to Target' facility, which can only be used after you have pasted the picture in question onto a 16 million colour (24 bit) background.

Another useful tool (which also requires a 24 bit image), is the 'Saturation Down' facility. This washes out all the colour hues, but keeps the shading, thus converting the colour pixels to 'grey'. This is a perfect way of changing flesh or cloth into iron looking armour. ;)

Aie, aie, could have been really useful to me ! Should have told me before :( but at least now I know it, any other tweaks you have figured out ? :goodjob:

BTW any way to select a part of the picture where you want a change to happen without modifying the rest ?

Originally posted by LouLong

Aie, aie, could have been really useful to me ! Should have told me before :( but at least now I know it, any other tweaks you have figured out ? :goodjob:

BTW any way to select a part of the picture where you want a change to happen without modifying the rest ?
yes just change the brush.

Verrrrrry nice - thats all I can say!

OK, I have started figuring out how it works. I still need some practice (selecting the right colour) and I guess I should transfer back to 256 colors afterwards, right ?

This is gonna :
1- speed up my work A LOT
2- makes better quality units.

Kryten, once again you have changed my life forever. :love:

Err, BTW, very sweet job. I just don't understand the why of the lance turning around ? Showing acrobatic skills or is there something I am missing ?

Originally posted by Yoda Power
edit-ok I think I figured it out. But how do I change the colour?

Simple. :)
Use the 'Eye Dropper' tool, just as you would when using the 'Paint Brush'.
Just click on this (it's the 9th icon down the left-hand side of the PaintShop screen), then right-click on one of the colours in the ORIGINAL unit palette (NOT the 16 million colour 24 bit palette).

Originally posted by LouLong
Err, BTW, very sweet job. I just don't understand the why of the lance turning around ? Showing acrobatic skills or is there something I am missing ?

Do you mean the 'swinging' action as used by the Byzantine & Roman Cataphracts?
If so, then that was created Utahjazz7 in his excellent original Byzantine Cataphract unit, and does make the attack animation distinctive from the normal usual boring 'thrusting' action.
All I did with the Eastern Cataphract was to cut-'n-paste a standard 'thrusting' action on him....just to make it look a bit 'distinctive' from the original.

Oh, and once you have converted your image in the 24 bit 16 million colour window, copy it and paste it back onto the ORIGINAL frame storyboard.
Note that some colours WILL change, depending upon what is available in the original palette. ;)

its beacuse while the Kontos was used as a "lance" inthe sense that it was used in a charge, it was FAR more versitile then the lance due to the bladed end- which was use din a manner rathwer similer to fenceing, with cuts, and thrusts-giving the cataphract more options in how he chooses to cut down his opponenet (and all the more reasonto show this versitillity in weapons in the animation, and by making the cataphract a knight replacement :p)

Originally posted by Kryten

Simple. :)
Use the 'Eye Dropper' tool, just as you would when using the 'Paint Brush'.
Just click on this (it's the 9th icon down the left-hand side of the PaintShop screen), then right-click on one of the colours in the ORIGINAL unit palette (NOT the 16 million colour 24 bit palette).
My problem is that I have version 8 of PSP, and some buttoms are missing(doesn´t make sense does it:ack: ). There doesn´t seem to be such a buttom anyway, could somebody help??

Oh I wish I would have kept version 7..

Originally posted by Xen
its beacuse while the Kontos was used as a "lance" inthe sense that it was used in a charge, it was FAR more versitile then the lance due to the bladed end- which was use din a manner rathwer similer to fenceing, with cuts, and thrusts-giving the cataphract more options in how he chooses to cut down his opponenet (and all the more reasonto show this versitillity in weapons in the animation, and by making the cataphract a knight replacement :p)

OK, very much like the Chinese spear (both cut and thrust) then. Got it.

I didn't notice the Eastern Cataphract before, looks great as well.

I didn't know the Seleucids used Cataphracts (something to keep in mind when I edit Rise of Rome).

Top Bottom