Typo Affecting AI Yields

What impact that has on the overall system is difficult to determine.

I'm going to go with "positive" until proven otherwise, because I like looking forward to patches with optimism :)

Played a game with the mod. On king, random gave me Kongo, large island plates. Can't say I noticed much difference. But I went for cultural and only had one very early war with Skythia, she was boxing me in.

I'm going to go with "positive" until proven otherwise, because I like looking forward to patches with optimism :)

Haha yes I hope so. :) What I mean is that this kind of typo could have had any number of effects. Some people are speculating that it was causing the AI to evaluate all yields equally, which is a possibility, but another possibility is it just defaulted to whatever the first or last yield was, picked one at random, used the last one left in the buffer from the previous operation, etc. I don't think it will make a night and day difference to fix it, but it should probably have some sort of impact.

Haha yes I hope so. :) What I mean is that this kind of typo could have had any number of effects. Some people are speculating that it was causing the AI to evaluate all yields equally, which is a possibility, but another possibility is it just defaulted to whatever the first or last yield was, picked one at random, used the last one left in the buffer from the previous operation, etc. I don't think it will make a night and day difference to fix it, but it should probably have some sort of impact.
Ya its something with their evaluation process, so you really only notice it with AI civs that should have a clear bias, like science with Korea. Def some changes but most players could have easily never even noticed.

The I before E except after C rule is dumb. Poor wee developer is probably going to be nicknamed Yielder from now on.
It does explain some of why the IA is struggling.

The I should come after A.

...sorry.

The I before E except after C rule is dumb.

I think so too. I am not a natural Englisch speaker and didn't know the rule before. Cases there words contain '*ei' were already mentioned. It took me some time to think about some words with "cei" to match the "except"-part, but I immediately found a word with "cie": emergencies.

On topic: On reddit some guys played around with different values an it seems, that correcting the typo has indeed an impact on the AI behavior.

but I immediately found a word with "cie": emergencies.
weeelll you could argue on that because emergencies is plural of emergency, so it's just an addition to the word and not the word itself (i know there are scientific words for that but i don't remember), so i don't think it falls under that rule :dunno:

on topic: maybe it's the straw that brakes the bad-AI-camel's back and it snowballs into a good AI. who knows...

on topic: maybe it's the straw that brakes the bad-AI-camel's back and it snowballs into a good AI. who knows...

Apparently this was fixed months ago in AI+ already, and while that AI was better, it wasn't legendary or anything.

Apparently this was fixed months ago in AI+ already, and while that AI was better, it wasn't legendary or anything.
actually, i don't think the AI is that bad... just this morning Tamar attacked my just newly conquered city with 2 catapults, 3 swordsmen, and 2 archers and put me into real trouble. i was only able to defend because i had the army with which i conquered the city in the first place still there (conquered it from france). I dont believe a human player could have taken the city with what she had either...

t
Well, in most romance languages the acronym is IA. What is it in Dutch out of curiosity?
It would be KI "Kunstmatige Intelligentie" (I'm not dutch but I used to work in AI in the nederlands , dutch readers can feel free to correct my spelling , it's been over 10 years) , but unless it changed a lot in the past decades , everybody was using the english "Artificial Intelligence"

actually, i don't think the AI is that bad... just this morning Tamar attacked my just newly conquered city with 2 catapults, 3 swordsmen, and 2 archers and put me into real trouble. i was only able to defend because i had the army with which i conquered the city in the first place still there (conquered it from france). I dont believe a human player could have taken the city with what she had either...

Oh, I don't think the AI is that bad either, it's just that the change won't be like "okay, better go two difficulty levels down now" in size.

Well, in most romance languages the acronym is IA. What is it in Dutch out of curiosity?

Depends.
Most common would be "Kunstmatige Intelligentie", or KI.
A more English-derived term would be "Artificiële Intelligentie", so AI.
We also often just use "AI" and pronounce the letters like you pronounce them in Dutch.

You should try and learn French !!! It's really easy to learn the few hundred of rules... it's the millions of exceptions that makes it hard ;-)

I still have on my library shelf the book I bought in university showing how to conjugate French verbs. Six pages for the regular verbs, and then the whole rest of the book is for the exceptions :lol:

You should try and learn French !!! It's really easy to learn the few hundred of rules... it's the millions of exceptions that makes it hard ;-)

Haha, I actually live in France and possess a degree in the French language. Though really, all that means that I'm officially qualified to ignore all the rules, get all the genders wrong and conjugate verbs as badly as I like when I'm not in a formal/important situation where I need to make it look like I'm actually good at speaking a foreign language :lol:

Haha, I actually live in France and possess a degree in the French language. Though really, all that means that I'm officially qualified to ignore all the rules, get all the genders wrong and conjugate verbs as badly as I like when I'm not in a formal/important situation where I need to make it look like I'm actually good at speaking a foreign language :lol:

I'm rather fun when I'm travelling in Spanish speaking countries. I just throw in the French words for things, pronounced in a horrible English-Spanish accent, and muddle my way by to the amusement of the locals.

To give some perspective on yield biases and their impact on how the AI plays; the yield bias given to AI with random agendas that are yield based is +20 for the corresponding yield. For example moneygrubbber is +20 for gold yield bias.
The low religious preference hidden agenda that they added is -50 for faith but is also -75 for great prophet pseudoyield. The latter has a much greater impact on how early and often the AI builds holy sites. The yield bias is much more of a general affect when compared to their pseudoyield counterparts.

A couple of things I’m wondering about:

Where is the food yield default bias? I have tried unsuccessful to find it any of the xml files.

How many changes have they already made to the base code to compensate for the typos’ impact on AI behavior?

Top Bottom