UI modifications (suggestions and discussion)

Yes there is a button to hide/show unbuildable units/buildings.

As well as that button in the CityScreen, to show or hide buildings.

There are various BUG options available (first page) on what to display.

Hi, about UI, I get a problem with some units layer (press CTRL) or Leader (press MAJ).
When there is too much abilitys, I can't see beggining of the list. And the layer isn't enough large.
Is there an option somewhere for solving that ? If not, it could be a great improvement to do.

Hi, about UI, I get a problem with some units layer (press CTRL) or Leader (press MAJ).
When there is too much abilitys, I can't see beggining of the list. And the layer isn't enough large.
Is there an option somewhere for solving that ? If not, it could be a great improvement to do.
We know.

Hi again.
It's still about UI.
Sometimes, I get popup messages (like asking to choose something like a Trait, or anything for taking a decision).
The problem is that messages are mainly "modals", meaning i can't quit the dialog box until I take the decision.
But most of the times, I need informations before taking the decision, and then I can't get it.
Example : the dialog "choose a Trait" popup. I could choose "financial". but financial give a bonus to tiles with 5 coins. I need to check If I get a tile like that in my city... but I can't.

Just the way the game is set up. We do not have access to the .exe.

This is why we have the added hotkey pages of info was to split the info into small enough chunks it can all be seen. In some rare cases its not quite enough but usualy that is happening on the unitcombat info pages or leader trait info page. On these you can keep holding the hotkey and then move the mouse off the info hover space then back onto it and that will get the opened up unitcombat or trait to move to displaying the full info for the next one on the list. Theres a point in that rotation where no trait or unitcombat is showing its expanded info and you can just see the full list.

Hi again.
It's still about UI.
Sometimes, I get popup messages (like asking to choose something like a Trait, or anything for taking a decision).
The problem is that messages are mainly "modals", meaning i can't quit the dialog box until I take the decision.
But most of the times, I need informations before taking the decision, and then I can't get it.
Example : the dialog "choose a Trait" popup. I could choose "financial". but financial give a bonus to tiles with 5 coins. I need to check If I get a tile like that in my city... but I can't.
Yeah that bugs me too. Im not sure if anything can be done about that or how it would be.

Hi again.
It's still about UI.
I think you will find you can "sort of". In most cases you can bring up any of the advisor screens. Thus if you bring up the Domestic Advisor using F1 you can look at each city in the city screen. This definitely works with the diplomacy screen which is produced by the exe but I have not tried it with the other "choice" screens.

Hi, I propose here a small but very useful improvement about the UI.

Civilopedia Link :
In the task bar of a city (where you can choose what to build), I can right-click on a icon (example, a unit one) : then Civilipedia open and show detailed information about that unit or building.
Now, my proposition is to extend that to others icons.
Particularly : Great People.
When you get a great people, the guy is sometimes able to build a special building (hunting tradition, sea hunter, etc..).
But the problem is these building are very difficult to find in the civilopedia. And they have 2 names or not exactly same name in civilopedia, (very confusing). Add that, open the whole civilopedia for finding them is heavy and very slow (load time).
So, If we could just right click on the icon and open the civilopedia help page about the building, it could really help.

Information about Split & Merge :
Another usefull information missing (or I just missreaded).
It's about sizer matter.
Some units can merge, some can split.
I trained a wolf, thinking I could make like dogs, and make a wolf pack. But wolf couldn't merge. So hunters and wolfs can't merge or split.
But how to know that Before to train the unit ?

Last edited:
Information about Split & Merge :
Another usefull information missing (or I just missreaded).
It's about sizer matter.
Some units can merge, some can split.
I trained a wolf, thinking I could make like dogs, and make a wolf pack. But wolf couldn't merge. So hunters and wolfs can't merge or split.
But how to know that Before to train the unit ?
This would be mentioned on the details of the combat classes of the unit, which you can access ingame but it's tough to sort through... much easier to look in the pedia at the unit details and scroll down through the combat class infos. If any of them mention that units of that combat class cannot merge/split, then you will know they cannot. After a while of checking on units in this way, you'll start to know what types of units can and cannot merge or split.

As for the first request, that's something some python guys might be able to accomplish... then again might not. I didn't really understand where you were saying it should be possible to create a link to the pedia but some things are possible there and some things aren't. Much of the core of the program is managed by code we cannot touch and linking lies in that gray area where in some ways and some places we can create such an effect but in others not capable. I wouldn't really personally know the difference.

Some resources don't have icons in the city resource list. Below are the ones that I've noticed so far:
Camel, hats, nets, saddles, tar, tablets, woodwind instruments - no icon in the city resource list.

Some resources don't have icons in the city resource list. Below are the ones that I've noticed so far:
Camel, hats, nets, saddles, tar, tablets, woodwind instruments - no icon in the city resource list.
Our former main Graphic artist is on a personal hiatus.

This is a known problem. Some are because of a programming bug in the City Screen code.

Many are due to there not being a unique icon associated with them in the GameFonts file.

To fix the latter requires a 16x16 TGA picture for each missing resource.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this*, but the Units, Buildings, and Technologies Civilopedia categories are waaaaaaaay too big. The biggest offender is the Buildings category, which literally has over two thousand entries. The sheer quantity of entries causes tons of lag whenever the game loads one of these Civilopedia categories.

Some possible ideas on how to split up the Civilopedia categories:

Split Technologies by era.

Split the Units category into Civilian Units, Military Units, and Animals.

Move all city effects that are treated as buildings by the engine (Crime, Pollution, Education, etc.) into a new category.

Create a new category for all the Myths/Stories/etc. buildings that can be built by subdued animals.

If all else fails, and a category is still too big, divide it in half by alphabetical order. (For example, if the Subdued Animals category is still too big, it can split into Subdued Animals A-M and Subdued Animals N-Z)

*If this isn't the right place, let me know where to post this.

P.S. Setting the whole Civilopedia to load when the mod is started, instead of loading each time categories are viewed in-game, would do wonders for fixing the lag. However, I don't have much modding expertise myself and I don't know if this is possible or not. If it is possible, this would be an alternative solution to the Civilopedia lag problem.

Clicking on any of the Buildings tags in the pedia requires going through the list of all buildings to identify which ones are in the list you want. This means that the first time you go look at any of the buildings it will take a long time building up that list and this will happen every time you open the pedia because it does not remember the list from last time. Such remembering will use up more memory.

It may be possible to write out the list to a cache file and then check for that file and use it if it exists before going to the dll for the information. There would need to be a check to see if the cache file needs to be recreated etc.

It may be possible to write out the list to a cache file and then check for that file and use it if it exists before going to the dll for the information. There would need to be a check to see if the cache file needs to be recreated etc.

Have you made any progress on making cache files for the big categories? This would be extremely helpful if you can do this. I am absolutely SICK of the lag in the C2C pedia, and it is currently the number one problem I have with the mod.

Have you made any progress on making cache files for the big categories? This would be extremely helpful if you can do this. I am absolutely SICK of the lag in the C2C pedia, and it is currently the number one problem I have with the mod.
Not right now. The Main C++ modder has had his RL work schedule almost doubled so no real time for serious projects.

Not right now. The Main C++ modder has had his RL work schedule almost doubled so no real time for serious projects.
Except none of this has anything to do with C++ or the dll. It is all Python.

Further analysis has indicated that my suggestion will not speed things up.

Except none of this has anything to do with C++ or the dll. It is all Python.

Okay not C++ but Python, gotcha.

And only you and perhaps pepper2000 are the only modders that "could" do anything with this, right?

Well, it looks like we'll have to do this by breaking up some of the civilopedia categories then. What do you think about splitting stuff up like this:

Split Technologies by era. Nothing more is needed after this.

Split the Units category into Civilian Units, Land Military Units, Sea Units, Air Units, Space Units, and Animals. Land Military Units will probably need to be split by era* too, as there are still a lot of them.

Split buildings based off Era, and move all city effects that are treated as buildings by the engine (Crime, Pollution, Education, etc.) into a new category. Myths/Stories/other subdued animal buildings get a category to themselves.

*Or groups of eras, such as Prehistoric-Classical, Medieval-Modern, and Information-Future

It will make no difference. You still need to read all the entries to decide what is in each category. That is how it currently works eg with buildings, Great Wonders, Cultures and National Wonders. You have to read all the buildings to discover what is in each group.

Top Bottom