UK Politics IV - In Lies we Don't Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Seismic night in Scotland’: Labour crushes SNP in Rutherglen and Hamilton West byelection

Scottish Labour’s Michael Shanks has won the Rutherglen and Hamilton West byelection in an overwhelming victory over the SNP that the party leadership declared “seismic”, and a clear demonstration that Scotland could lead the way in delivering a Labour government at Westminster at the coming general election.

In a result that exceeded Scottish Labour expectation, Shanks beat his closest rival, the SNP’s Katy Loudon, by 17,845 votes to 8,399 – a majority of 9,446 and a resounding swing of over 20%.

The result marked a “seismic night in Scotland”, and proved that “Scottish politics has fundamentally changed”, said Scottish Labour leader, Anas Sarwar. Voters were sending “a very clear message that they are sick of two tired, failing, incompetent governments”, he added.

Scotland’s first-ever recall byelection was also Humza Yousaf’s first major electoral test since he became SNP leader, and first minister, in the spring.

Responding to the “disappointing” result, he said the party would “reflect on what we have to do to regain the trust of the people of Rutherglen & Hamilton West.”

But Yousaf added that the “circumstances of this byelection were always very difficult for us” – the contest was triggered after constituents voted for the Covid rule-breaking former SNP MP Margaret Ferrier to be removed from her seat.

He also partly blamed the collapse in Tory support – the Scottish Conservative candidate lost his deposit on the night – which he said “went straight to Labour”.

Turnout on Thursday was 37.19% compared with 66.5% at the last general election in 2019, in the seat to the south-east of Glasgow that has now changed hands four times between the SNP and Labour since 2010.

So not really seismic?

Byelection think it's the same everywhere.
It is always the case, but it always surprises me. I have been in a constituency involved in a byelection, and being the centre of national attention made me more involved not less. Also it seemed that it gives the individual an outsided weight in public discourse, in that 1/500th of the country gives an strong statement on the parties at a time when no one else does.

I doubt anyone is spending 100% of their time on CFC.

Speaking of which, do you want to start the new thread, now that we've hit 200 pages?

The Tories had a majority of 80? before the by-election, and still have the same majority today. The opposition parties swapping seats doesn't have that much of an impact on the path the country is taking and that is presumably reflected in the low turnout.

The Tories had a majority of 80? before the by-election, and still have the same majority today. The opposition parties swapping seats doesn't have that much of an impact on the path the country is taking and that is presumably reflected in the low turnout.
That is usually the case, that pyelections do not change the balance of power. It still surprises me that the uniqueness it gives people does not drive more engagement.

That is usually the case, that pyelections do not change the balance of power. It still surprises me that the uniqueness it gives people does not drive more engagement.

It's a byelection unless it's relevant meh.

Turnout here is usually low as well lost of the time its to anoint the official successor which is usually obvious.

Hey, what about Samson and Edward? :)
Though at least it will go to a Uker.

They started the last two threads!

Moderator Action: Thread closed.

Encouraging for Starmer since if he wants to have a majority Labour really needs to win back some of those Scottish seats its lost in recent years.
I don't think Labour should be too jubilant though since its more due to discontent with the SNP than enthusiasm for labour so it might be different by the General Election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom