unhappiness from distance to capital

I have to say that if your colony is ten tiles away from your capital so early on, I honestly think you're doing something wrong.

Why do you think so? I am thinking long term, with cities having 3 workable tiles each. I was also close to river, so I didn't have to research the wheel early on.

Well, even seven or eight tiles apart would accomplish that task. Obviously, I don't know what your starting map is like, but ten seems huge.

Well, even seven or eight tiles apart would accomplish that task. Obviously, I don't know what your starting map is like, but ten seems huge.

Strategy, setting early borders/claiming early important resources and then to later backfill. I'd do it too.

JosEPh

Strategy, setting early borders/claiming early important resources and then to later backfill. I'd do it too.

JosEPh
You still can, you just need to be a bit more careful. :)

Reviving this thread, since I only just updated to a rev that has this feature.

1. It appears that the "distance from Palace" to calculate the :mad: penalty does not consider the Summer Palace and other "secondary capital" wonders. Intended? Bug?
Is there a way to make the "secondary capitals" be considered as well?

2. I'd like to tinker with the actual values of the penalty (to adapt it to different size maps). Is there a parameter in the XML regulating this? Or is it all in the .dll?

Reviving this thread, since I only just updated to a rev that has this feature.

1. It appears that the "distance from Palace" to calculate the :mad: penalty does not consider the Summer Palace and other "secondary capital" wonders. Intended? Bug?
Is there a way to make the "secondary capitals" be considered as well?

2. I'd like to tinker with the actual values of the penalty (to adapt it to different size maps). Is there a parameter in the XML regulating this? Or is it all in the .dll?

1. Intended (unfortunately).

2. I'd like to tinker it too, but I guess it is dll. Devs?
BTW it is scaled to eras and maybe mapsize too.

I'll look at moving this to the global XML defines ;)

The distance penalty is influenced by "iNumCitiesUnhappinessDivisor" in Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4WorldInfo.xml but it also conform to the penalty by number of cities. I could eventually make a separate value but I don't want to break anything so I'll first finish the barbarian update :)

The distance penalty is influenced by "iNumCitiesUnhappinessDivisor" in Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4WorldInfo.xml but it also conform to the penalty by number of cities. I could eventually make a separate value but I don't want to break anything so I'll first finish the barbarian update :)

So the same variable affects both unhappiness(es?) "from number of cities" AND "distance from capital" ?

Is it feasible to make it recognize secondary capitals as well? That would really be an important improvement.

Is it feasible to make it recognize secondary capitals as well? That would really be an important improvement.

If dbkblk is busy with other tasks, I think I can easily take care of that. I was thinking about that as well.

It's all yours 45° :) I'm trying to see what I can do with MP, even if it sounds too difficult for me.

A few ideas if you allow me:

It would be nice to have a new tag for buildings (like <bHappinessDistanceCenter> ) that could be applied on buildings separately from the <bGovernmentCenter>.
I could imagine either the Olympic Games or the Theater of Dionysus to be changed from "No unhappiness in this city" to "Reduces unhappiness in nearby cities"

And a new xml tag for civics (like <iHappinessDistanceModifier> ) could also be useful.
For example -50 with Democracy to halve the :mad: penalty from distance and -100 with Federal to completely eliminate it. (Just examples)

It's all yours 45° :) I'm trying to see what I can do with MP, even if it sounds too difficult for me.

I still have to test and upload, but unhappiness should be now dependant on distance from a government center too, not just on distance from capital.
As for MP, that's something really hard. I hope I'll have more time to test in the next weeks.

Are we certain that the AI is getting the same penalties at the same difficulty? At noble for me an acceptable planning distance of 5 to 7 tiles is achievable with monarchy, or by cheating with the Indian special graveyard. :) This is mostly a convenience thing for me. I find the game annoying to manage with too many cities, so to offset my lazy expansion, I make full use of the larger cities feature.

What I find very frustrating however, is that the AI does not seem to have that limitation. The only thing stopping them from happily plastering the world with a city every three plots is Revolutions.

And even with that, by the time I have pacified my first two settlements, the rest of the world already sports plenty of happy pop 3 towns. Either I suck at this game, or something's not quite right. :p

In light of this change further slowing down expansion, and especially when considering realistic culture spread, can we bring back a way for disposing of a town through culture please? The AIs tendency to commit cultural suicide is really cluttering up my map with unusable plots the AI calls a city. And no, I do not wish to own them. I need a way to see them burn without actually burning them. Myself at least. Politics, you see. :)

Top Bottom