Unique Units elimination thread

I feel sorry for the pictish warrior busting just as the patch notes came out. Note that he has the faith killing bonus that follows through with upgrades, and is also the first unit without movement costs for pillaging - which now gives +25 HP a pop, which also follows through the ages. What's not to like about that? Keep earning XP and upgrading through to pikes and muskets with the same bonus, and hopefully at that time, stacking it with promos like march. Perfect meat shields and holy warriors.

Battering Ram 20
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 26
Hussar 18
Hwach'a 4
Immortal 9
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 36
Ship of the Line 29

Those Dromons are way too good. With its 50% vs naval, they can survive triremes attacks really well, as their meelee strenght is 8, +50% is 12 vs the regular 10 of the trireme. It is even better when on offense against ships: 10 (ranged) +50% = 15 strengh! Get two of these guys on defense and they handle q-remes, on offense they kill it. It is easier to get the promotions: you can go barbarian hunting! The dromon also gives support to your land units on the coast and, sumetimes, when you feel like taking a city down, get 3-4 of these guys and a scout and BAM! That coastal city-state/Capital is yours! :goodjob:

The Hwach'as because, well, when I'm building a siege unit, I want to siege. I agree that it is really powerfull, but I miss the trebuchets :(

Battering Ram 20
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 26
Hussar 15 (-3) I think this is the weakest UU left. It is a very good unit, and when used well is absolutely devastating. That said, melee horses still have significant weaknesses that are very apparent in GW-era combat, for example, by using Gats and MGs to create zones of control, and (in my games) they usually spend no more than 50% of their time in actual combat. The other half of the time they're healing behind friendly lines.
Hwach'a 4
Immortal 9
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 37 (+1) Sea Beggars = Great. Destroyers upgraded from Sea Beggars = Game breaking.
Ship of the Line 29

Battering Ram 20
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 26
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 4
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 38
Ship of the Line 29

The Immortal is to early in the game for me to like it. In addition they are beaten by swordsmen.

The Sea beggar is awesome. Taking a city with ships is a lot easier with the sea beggar.

Battering Ram 20
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 26
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5 (+1)
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35 (-3)
Ship of the Line 29

Korean medieval rocket artillery is awesome, there is no other medieval siege unit like it unless they want to include Korean Medieval Gatling Gun.;)

Sea Beggars on the other hand are overrated. Like, in a coastal city with barracks/armory, you can make your own "Sea Beggars" even without playing Dutchland.

Like, in a coastal city with barracks/armory, you can make your own "Sea Beggars" even without playing Dutchland.

Nope, Sea Beggars heal at sea. That's 90% of why they're so powerful. You can't get that promo right away without Barracks/Armory/Academy/Brandenburg Gate.

Nope, Sea Beggars heal at sea. That's 90% of why they're so powerful. You can't get that promo right away without Barracks/Armory/Academy/Brandenburg Gate.

Privateers in Barrack/Armory coastal city = Sea Beggar. You CAN get the Supply promo after Coastal II (and the Privateer starts with Coastal I)

And guess what? You can also use that city to start pumping out Frigates-to-be (Bombardment II Galleas-Frigates are far more punchy than baselines). Extremely useful, this armored up coastal production city.

Privateers in Barrack/Armory coastal city = Sea Beggar. You CAN get the Supply promo after Coastal II (and the Privateer starts with Coastal I)

And guess what? You can also use that city to start pumping out Frigates-to-be (Bombardment II Galleas-Frigates are far more punchy than baselines). Extremely useful, this armored up coastal production city.

My mistake! Regardless, making a Sea Beggar in said city would still be vastly better than making a privateer, no?

My mistake! Regardless, making a Sea Beggar in said city would still be vastly better than making a privateer, no?

I'm just saying you can make your own "baseline" Sea Beggar without playing as William; people like 'em because of the Supply promo, well guess what, you can make it yourself as literally any other civ!

Unless it gets pushed back like Bomber Logistics :(

Battering Ram 17 (-3)
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 27 +1
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Decided to jump in on this for fun...

The Ram... Because outside the goofy ridiculous things you often do on lower difficulties, it turns into a near useless fragile unit on higher difficulties unless you pop it from a ruin stupidly early, but then it can also backfire since you end up with no barb killing unit... Meh... May take this back with the Cover 2 promotion coming back though. :p

On that Same token...
Horse Archers: Because this is to me what makes Attila so damn ruthless. So damn easy to win a classical war with this + the extra promotions means both Citystates will bend over real quick and you'll actually get Range and Logistics Horse archers before they become irrelevant.

Battering Ram 17
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 17
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 12
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 37
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 32
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

I'd love to see your votes. If you make a compelling case for one UU being better than another you might win some adherents to your views on voting.

For me there're few units on top in no particular order:

Horse Archer
Camel Archer
Chu-ko-nu
Keshik (forgot it at 1st, not played with Mongols ages)

and Dromon which is a bit more dependant of map, obviously. Longbowman is ok but 3-tile targeting bug hurts. The rest are a mixed bag from irrelevant to decent but nothing spectacular.

G

This reason pretty much downgrades Chu-Ko-Nu and the Carolean as well.

Battering Ram 17
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 25
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 33
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Minutemen : Nice bonuses that scale through time from Gunpowder to Plastics. Make sure to find a lot of iron!

Foreign Legion : Compared to this one, i largely prefer the Minutemen. Late unit that only get a low bonus.

Battering Ram 17
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 22
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 22
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 34
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Minutemen (+1): Majority of my games involve Modern warfare and having a handful of these guys around upgraded to Mechanized Infantry is like a quick response team when there is a breach in my nation's territory.

Legion (-3): This downvote is based on my experience and might be because im not a good player yet.

my experience with this unit is really bad. It is hard to build a handful due to low iron resources, and when i do find a resource, its usually to late to be of any use without upgrading it. and when you do upgrade it, it loses its unique traits.

Battering Ram 17
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 25
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 19
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 23
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 34
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Legion: a swordsman with 3 more strength is awesome. It can dominate the battlefield for quite a long time. Plus the ability of building roads? Are you kidding?
However, lack of Iron is indeed a downside of legions. But when playing as Rome, you should REX, and with large tract of land it's difficult to have an empire without a handful of Iron resource. :)

Jaguar: has some nice bonuses, but still a warrior UU and can't do anything at all except fighting barbarians.

I'm just saying you can make your own "baseline" Sea Beggar without playing as William; people like 'em because of the Supply promo, well guess what, you can make it yourself as literally any other civ!

Unless it gets pushed back like Bomber Logistics :(

but think about what you can do with the sea beggar as William and those buildings

Battering Ram 18 (+1)
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 22 (-3)
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 15
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 19
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 23
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 34
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Battering Ram - A few posts up hit them for not being able to trash barbs, but I feel that they aren't playing Huns optimally. I would build 4 horse archers first, use them to kill barbs, and then build/buy 2 rams to complete a 6 man army and THEN go trash cities.

Companion cavalry - Ive always considered unranged horses weaker overall. Companion cavalry come roughly at the same time as the hoplites, but I never seem to be able to find a use for them. Since the hoplites come early I always use them to rush a neighbor, and the horses just dont seem to be necessary for capturing the city. I usually feel that a few archers are enough to clear any enemy troops in the way. Please explain the value to me if you see it.

Companion cavalry - Ive always considered unranged horses weaker overall. Companion cavalry come roughly at the same time as the hoplites, but I never seem to be able to find a use for them. Since the hoplites come early I always use them to rush a neighbor, and the horses just dont seem to be necessary for capturing the city. I usually feel that a few archers are enough to clear any enemy troops in the way. Please explain the value to me if you see it.

Companion Cav are so deadly because they're much faster than most any other unit at that time. 5 movement compared to 4 is huge in the time they appear. Roads are less common, there is more space between civs typically, etc. But the real reason they shine is because there are usually fewer units in play at this time. CC can lurk well behind the hoplite line, jumping 5 TILES to knock out retreating units. Hoplites and archers grind 'em up, and CC knock 'em out. I do agree that melee horses are less valuable later in the game, thus...

Battering Ram 18
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 22
Dromon 16 (+1) Still the most underrated unit. Having ranged naval units 3000 years before your competitors is massive.
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 12 (-3) Again, not a bad unit, but in this era it is simply difficult to use cavalry well. Gatling guns/machine guns can easily control the battle lines, turning raids into suicide missions. Their flank attack is nice, but often leaves them too exposed.
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 19
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 23
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 34
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

Battering Ram 18
Camel Archer 25
Carolean 25
Chu-Ko-Nu 34
Companion Cavalry 22
Dromon 17 (+1)
Foreign Legion 14
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 9 (-3)
Hwach'a 5
Immortal 6
Jaguar 19
Janissary 38
Keshik 36
Legion 23
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 34
Mohawk Warrior 23
Sea Beggar 35
Ship of the Line 29

And I am going to pile on the Hussar and agree with all of the above. Plus, to get the flank bonus you need to expose another unit by sending them behind the lines.

The dromon is a game changer on any map that brings navies into play. The altered upgrade path (to the galleas) is the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom