Unit Buttons Standardization

For now all heroes buttons are in cirles. Also many heroes got better and more accurate buttons now.

BTW Gladiator (not Spartacus!) should be moved from Hero section to normal unit section.

I was just thinking if you made the "square" buttons for the Heroes solid black, then making the Hero (circle touch left to right side, with a gold trim on the circle, would be and should look nice?? Just thinking here is all. Almost like the bulldozer here pic1

Also the Asian Spy the background is gone?? Its solid black, cant see pic??pic 2Just did another look and ALL spies are not "see able"??pic3

I was just thinking if you made the "square" buttons for the Heroes solid black, then making the Hero (circle touch left to right side, with a gold trim on the circle, would be and should look nice?? Just thinking here is all. Almost like the bulldozer here pic1
[/QUOTE

Black background has some problem and show you why. Just need to back to home from work and make some sample buttons :)

Also the Asian Spy the background is gone?? Its solid black, cant see pic??pic 2Just did another look and ALL spies are not "see able"??pic3

As I say in 1st post Ill create ethnical diveristy buttons for all normal units after Ill end with normal (european) set of buttons.

--------------------

Ok here is next sample of culture units.
After rethinking this flag background im not sure its good idea.
- First some flags indeed blend with backgrounds of normal units (for example red flags blend with melee unit red background even if units gunpowder - this can be confusing).
To remove this problem I added little "gold" frame around button to distinguish culture units from normal ones.

- Second and even more problematic - to made flags visible we must remove weapons from buttons. This create another problem with recognising unit speciality (melee, archer, gunpowder etc).

Dunno what to do but I know one thing - buttons for cultural units should and will be revamped.

Attachments

• preview10.jpg
    preview10.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 167
[/QUOTE

Black background has some problem and show you why. Just need to back to home from work and make some sample buttons :)

As I say in 1st post Ill create ethnical diveristy buttons for all normal units after Ill end with normal (european) set of buttons.

--------------------

Ok here is next sample of culture units.
After rethinking this flag background im not sure its good idea.
- First some flags indeed blend with backgrounds of normal units (for example red flags blend with melee unit red background even if units gunpowder - this can be confusing).
To remove this problem I added little "gold" frame around button to distinguish culture units from normal ones.

- Second and even more problematic - to made flags visible we must remove weapons from buttons. This create another problem with recognising unit speciality (melee, archer, gunpowder etc).

Dunno what to do but I know one thing - buttons for cultural units should and will be revamped.

OK, i was as i just said, "thinking" is all, no biggy, and thx.

1. I do some test with black background in hero buttons and here are my observations

2. In attachment you can find image with sample culture units buttons (small ones).
Ill wait for feedback before start creating rest of units.

Attachments

• frames.jpg
    frames.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 107
  • cultural2.jpg
    cultural2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 92
1. I do some test with black background in hero buttons and here are my observations

2. In attachment you can find image with sample culture units buttons (small ones).
Ill wait for feedback before start creating rest of units.

Really too hard to tell, can you take a screenie of each then also have an ingame look at such, because the "blue" looks alot different than it does in the button by itself.:mischief:

Really too hard to tell, can you take a screenie of each then also have an ingame look at such, because the "blue" looks alot different than it does in the button by itself.:mischief:

These images are taken from in-game screenshots. Im using default UI colour and blue is identical as UI blue.

These images are taken from in-game screenshots. Im using default UI color and blue is identical as UI blue.

I am not negative here, if you are taking it that way, all i am saying is, in the "button" itself, the blue looks bad, but ingame you really cant see it, because the btn is sooo small, and doesnt matter as much, and besides all you really are looking at is the "ingame" anyways correct? / /? So either ither or :p

I am not negative here, if you are taking it that way, all i am saying is, in the "button" itself, the blue looks bad, but ingame you really cant see it, because the btn is sooo small, and doesnt matter as much, and besides all you really are looking at is the "ingame" anyways correct? / /? So either ither or :p

For now they stay. I really want more feedback about this from other players :)
Then we will see.

You guys have both confused ME. I like the alpha channel cutting out anything outside the circle and whatever part of the character image that emerges past it. It looks pretty cool in the thumbnail icon and the circle within a square bit on the build button is an issue we can't really do much about either way. Would be nice if we could somehow tailor the display python to differ the highlighting button base art to suit the button better but that would probably be pretty tough to do for us.

You guys have both confused ME. I like the alpha channel cutting out anything outside the circle and whatever part of the character image that emerges past it. It looks pretty cool in the thumbnail icon and the circle within a square bit on the build button is an issue we can't really do much about either way. Would be nice if we could somehow tailor the display python to differ the highlighting button base art to suit the button better but that would probably be pretty tough to do for us.

I think only platyping would be the only one to do something like that.

I tested buttons with circle alpha channel and in city screen still is visible small square frame. This frame is coded in python ui code. I think we can remove this frame but for other icons then hero buttons this look bad IMO.

Despite what someone said in the SVN thread I think the new buttons are great. I'm especially happy about the different background-coloring based on unit type! Keep it up :)

Despite what someone said in the SVN thread I think the new buttons are great. I'm especially happy about the different background-coloring based on unit type! Keep it up :)

+1

Great work Sparth! :D

JosEPh :)

@Sparth

1. Don't forget to make new buttons for the Great Hunter line that match their normal hunters. As of right now they show the old icon/button with a symbol on top.

2. The Imperial Guard line has a similar problem. Except it uses a crown symbol.

3. You should make the Tribal Guardian match the other City Guard units rather than the Spiked Clubman icon/button.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that :)

Soon I upload next batch of buttons (water units, mechs and warlords).

@Sparth

A few things I noticed.

1. Cyborg and Genetic Soldier have the same icon/button. The Genetic Soldier should have its own.

2. The Navy Seal and Special Forces have the same icon/button. The Special Forces should have its own without the United States Flag.

3. Its hard to see the Power Armored Infantry icon/button. You need a closer up image. Like maybe just the head and shoulders.

4. Is that a picture of AMEE for the Robotic Scout?

5. All Warlords have pink icon/buttons.

6. Whys the Shan Warrior (Thai) have the Burmese flag and the Flail Elephant (Burmese) have the Thai flag? :crazyeye:

7. Also the Conquistador (Spain) has a Spanish flag but it doesn't match the flag used for Spain.

@Sparth

A few things I noticed.

1. Cyborg and Genetic Soldier have the same icon/button. The Genetic Soldier should have its own.

2. The Navy Seal and Special Forces have the same icon/button. The Special Forces should have its own without the United States Flag.

3. Its hard to see the Power Armored Infantry icon/button. You need a closer up image. Like maybe just the head and shoulders.

4. Is that a picture of AMEE for the Robotic Scout?

5. All Warlords have pink icon/buttons.

6. Whys the Shan Warrior (Thai) have the Burmese flag and the Flail Elephant (Burmese) have the Thai flag? :crazyeye:

7. Also the Conquistador (Spain) has a Spanish flag but it doesn't match the flag used for Spain.

Already fixed these issues.
And yes there is AMEE picture on scout droid icon :)

I am finding the latest buttons for the merchants to be difficult to see - it is old age, I know.;) Perhaps something simpler with a large hammer for the trade ones and a large wheat sheaf for the food.

I am finding the latest buttons for the merchants to be difficult to see - it is old age, I know.;) Perhaps something simpler with a large hammer for the trade ones and a large wheat sheaf for the food.

Ok ill try another approach :)

Top Bottom