Unit Healing

offworld said:
Good informative article. One question though. About the Red Cross national wonder. Does it give the medic I promotion to units that cannot normally receive this promotion (choppers tanks)?

I'm not sure. I don't have access to the game at the moment but you could check very easily using the world builder. Or just load one of your saved games where you had a city with Red Cross and try it out.

Good Job,

I have one question, I understand that a unit need to be "eligible to Heal" to receive healing from Medics, What happen in this situation:

Imagine two units: Infantry (with March promotion) and Explorer (with Medic I promotion), the infantry was injured while defend and he move in his turn, and the Medic move too to the same tile, I know that the infantry will heal from march promotion but: is it eligible to receive additional healing from medic (march + medic healing)?

What do you think about that?

Yes (a medic only needs to be present in the tile to give its bonus, a medic 2 only needs to be present in the tile or an adjacent tile to give its bonus, the unit must be 'eligible' to receive the bonus)

offworld said:
Good informative article. One question though. About the Red Cross national wonder. Does it give the medic I promotion to units that cannot normally receive this promotion (choppers tanks)?

No. The Red Cross gives Medic I to eligible units. As far as I can tell, there is no way for tanks to get Medic or March. Choppers can have Medic and March if they are upgraded from cavalry that already have those promotions.

As a side note, choppers with March are truly nasty...it really pays off to prioritize the March promotion for Cavalry as their power wanes.

Thanks a lot for the cool article. It'll no doubt help cut down casualties in my future wars, saving me a good few turns. Thanks a lot for putting the time and effort required into this article.

Excellent article. I have only one thing to add.

PieceOfMind said:
Unit Healing
\\-Armored units and helicopters cannot be given Medic promotions. Armored units, helicopters and naval units cannot be given the March promotion.

Mounted units can get medic1 and medic2, and retain these when promoted to helicopter. I like to have "MASH choppers" with medic2 hovering over the battlefield, although realistically explorers might be just as good. Hard to get an explorer up to medic2 though.

a4phantom said:
Mounted units can get medic1 and medic2, and retain these when promoted to helicopter. I like to have "MASH choppers" with medic2 hovering over the battlefield, although realistically explorers might be just as good. Hard to get an explorer up to medic2 though.

Red Cross + Barracks produce Medic II troops directly. This is probably the easiest way to get the troops you want. The other option is to use West Point + Barracks + Pentagon, Vassalage, or Theocracy.

Apologies for the late update.

I added a comment about the Red Cross wonder only giving medic to units allowed to take it.
I also revised the comment about armoured units and helicopters in the last section by adding that these units can end up with medic or march only through unit upgrades from units which are allowed those promotions.

I have not yet played with the new patch (after v.152) so if any changes have been made to the healing system or any of the eligibility rules someone will need to point them out.

PieceOfMind said:
EXCEPTION: The March promotion
The March promotion makes a unit ALWAYS eligible for healing regardless of any actions made by the unit in its turn. For example, a horse archer with March can move 1 tile, pillage an improvement and then still be eligible for healing.

Can it even attack and still be eligible for healing????

I know this has said and discussed a lot of times in this thread (and ive read all 3 pages carefully), but this is SO good to be true that i need a direct answer! :)

Imagine a unit with blitz and march attacking a city twice and still getting healed!!! And with a medic I present on the stack too! WOW! :crazyeye:

I know it's a late reply but you are right Mestrelion - you do get to heal even after attacking so long as you have the march promotion.

By the way, I have played the game using the new patch (1.61) and I haven't noticed any changes to anything relevant to this article. Warlords is anyone's guess though.

Excellent article. I think Warlords is the same except for the new great general promotion Medic 3, which gives 15% healing in own tile and all adjacent tiles. I suspect that this replaces the 10% healing of Medic 1 and Medic 2 promotions (which the gg needs to get Medic 3) although it might be in addition in which case the overall effect would be +25% from the Medic promotions.

Excellent article. I think Warlords is the same except for the new great general promotion Medic 3, which gives 15% healing in own tile and all adjacent tiles. I suspect that this replaces the 10% healing of Medic 1 and Medic 2 promotions (which the gg needs to get Medic 3) although it might be in addition in which case the overall effect would be +25% from the Medic promotions.

Edit: The description of Medic 3 says explicitly that it gives an extra +15% so I now think its effect is cumulative with Medic 1 and Medic 2.

Edit: The description of Medic 3 says explicitly that it gives an extra +15% so I now think its effect is cumulative with Medic 1 and Medic 2.

I think that's extra in addition to a unit's natural healing.

Warlords is anyone's guess though.
In Warlords a unit with a general attached to it can get the Medic III promotion (it requires Medic I and II) which adds +15% healing to both the medic square and adiacent squares for a whopping total of +25% healing on the medic square and adiacent squares (in other words it is of course cumulative with the Medic I and II promotions of the same unit). Units accompanied by such a unit in enemy territory heal 6(!) times faster than the regular rate so you can call it a supermedic (0-9.9HP - 4 turns, 10-39.9HP - 3 turns, 40-69.9 - 2 turns, 70-99.9HP - 1 turn). And of course it heals even faster in friendly/neutral territory/cities :) (friendly city - 45%, friendly city + hospital - 55%.. etc).

If that's true it's good news, since I always use my one Warlord to put Medic3 on a mounty. The others of course go to Instructors.

Update: Lord Parkin says you're right, the 15% from Medic3 is in addition to the 10% from Medic2, for a total of +25%.

Thanks for the Warlords details UncleJJ, a4phantom and Alexandru! :goodjob: (I don't have Warlords yet)

The Medic III promotion is now included in the article.

Also today I re-worded many parts of the article where I thought it was still a bit unclear.

I can't wait to try an army of Mech Infantry with a Medic3 warlord . . .

Top Bottom