1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Maker of the Month: July 2006 jury thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Flamand, Aug 1, 2006.

?

Which unit deserves the honor of being the "Unit of the Month, July 2006"?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2006.
  1. LizardmenRule! - Modern Inquisitor

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Vingrjoe - Des Moines Class Heavy Cruiser

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Plotinus - Dominican Friar

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Aaglo - Ork Rokkit Launcha

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Orthanc - Calormen Ship

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Supa - King Ghidorah

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Utahjazz7 - Macedonian Elephant

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Congrats Plotinus :thumbsup: A very worthy winner!

Thanks to all those who voted for me :)

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

This competition is just filled with some of the best oonits I`ve ever seen, it was really a hard choice!

Congratulations, Plotinus!

3. Snakelover

Snakelover Tank Commander

I wonder if he was voted for, because he is a mod...
    Nah, people probably just go nuts over that kind of unit, so Plontinus wins.:D

4. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Well fought and well won! Congratulations MR. New Moderator, I said it before, this really is your week!

:thumbsup:

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Yes, which is nice as I've had a truly vile week in RL.

I didn't actually realise until just now that I really can edit the votes on polls. Let's all hope my moral fibre is up to the challenge...

6. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

:lol: I`d say you`re the most moral person (with more than half a brain ;)) in C3C C&C, thats why you became a mod. I have no fear of rigged polls :)

[weird] what would it look like if they have turned you into a scenario instead of a mod? :crazyeye: [/weird]

7. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

For the first time (i think) the thing i voted won the contest.
    Congrats Plotinus. :thumbsup:

8. beboy

beboy Ut tensio sic vis

Congrats Plotinus!! Now rise up the Cross and go fight Infidels!! :lol: :lol:

9. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Congrats, Plotinus! [party]

[ot] maybe you could use the Moderator Action text to say "party down, I won!" :crazyeye:[/ot]

10. vingrjoe

vingrjoe Landlocked Shipwright

Congratulations, Plotinus!

I don't know if the pen is mightier than the sword, but in this case, the preacher is.

11. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

GOod job Plotinus! I'm glad that you won, and that for the first time for me as well, the entry I voted for won! I guess that's what you call a win-win situation. :D

Seriously, though, that was one piece of work you entered, and I'd like to know where you got your thunder storm FX from.... I may have use for them in future projects....

12. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Thanks, all.

[Hikaro] Compliments from veteran creators are especially encouraging. The thunderstorm took an enormously long time to do (although it wasn't nearly so bad as the cloak). Basically, I looked on the internet for a cloud animation, and it was surprisingly hard to find one. I don't have the link any more for the site where I got this one, but it had a number of computer-generated animations. I downloaded one and opened it up in Adobe Premiere, where I exported about twenty frames. Then I used NeoPaint to turn them all black and white, and also to create templates based upon them for the transparency. Then I basically treated them the same way as Kinboat's smoke animation - created a number of square primitives, mapped each frame onto one of them, parented them to an invisible ball, and displayed them in sequence throughout the animation.

The lightning is simply images mapped onto square primitives. In retrospect, the whole effect isn't really as impressive as I'd hoped when I conceived it, but I did want to do a lightning effect that was a little different from others that have been made. I got the idea of a cloud appearing and vanishing again from Populous II! I had to do quite a lot of postwork on the final storyboard to clean it up. In particular, the parts where the cloud appears and disappears - which looked great in the initial renders - went very pixellated once it was converted to 256 colours with a Civ-friendly palette. It still looks a bit pixellated even now, after I went through it manually smoothing it. I've found that transparency effects have a tendency to look rather clunky in-game, which is a shame.

Anyway, feel free to run the animations through Flicster and cut 'n' paste the spell effect out, if you so desire.

13. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Sure do... As for using spell/smoke effects in poser, I usually find it's much, much easier just to make the animation and render it in poser, then use the desired FX animation (whether created in another program or downloaded somewhere) as a C&P source (using Animation shop to export it frame by frame if necesarry).... That's what I did with kinboat's smoke prop... I just used the frames that he got his images from, modified them in PsP, and pasted them over the frames of my animations.

14. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Congrats to Plotinus, my vote went to aaglo, but the friar was a great entry as well.