Unit Preview: Star Wars Providence-Class Cruiser

BlackHand

Warlord
After a loooooooong weekend, I've finally figured out animations, and thus present you with the default animation for the Providence-Class cruiser. The scale is probably wrong, but I can screw with that when I'm closer to being done. The other animations will be coming as soon as I can figure 'em out, but otherwise, enjoy :D

How's this?

[edit] Oops, accidentally left the Venator textures in the folder...but is the size ok?

As Chris said, the size is too big.
Also, the angle is wrong. The diagonals need to be a little closer to 45 degrees
The textures are too dark, or the lighting needs a little adjustment. The 2nd one is closer, but still too dark. Since in this one it looks like rather then make the textures lighter with more ambient, you made them have more highlights with specularity.
You should figure out what to have civ colored (blue)..

I'll resize it to the original and try to figure out angles. Can't help you on the civ coloring though, as I have no idea how and tried to for at least an hour. So unless someone volunteers to help me out with it, it'll stay like it is. I'll post some more previews of this one and some other models I have later tonight.

Just add some blue to it and make sure there are no other blue shades.
For example, on my Casa C-295, I had to change the color of grey to one with less blue in it.
Once you settle on the colors, the simplest way to do your first palette is find a unit with a similar palette and use that. Make small edits to the colors as needed.
Open 2-3 units in flicster or civ3flcedit to get a feel for how palettes work.

How do you add the blue? Do you add it in Flicster or is there another way you have to do it? I know I read somewhere about selecting faces in OpenFX, but I couldn't figure it out and somehow ended up trashing the model I was working with.

There are two ways to add color either with texture (jpg, png, tif, bmp, etc) or a procedural "texture" where you color some portion of a mesh from within the modeler. Since I don't use OpenFX I can't give you more specific advice, but it is not difficult. Just play with it. For now, since this model comes with textures, just repaint part of those. (keep the originals as backups).

While I'm messing with the textures for the Providence, here's another preview. Tell me what you guys think.

[edit]Sorry about the pink going nuts...I have no idea what that's all about :-/

Yeah, the flashing is a problem, but only comes up when I put it into a .GIF. If I use a .FLC, it's fine with no background problems at all.

Top Bottom