Unit Request: INDUSTRIAL SAMURAI!!! Mhahaha

Ah, the Jin-Roh guy! I was wondering if anyone had made him. I was thinking about parts of that too, mainly the eyes. Overall it's mostly German inspired though. I see what you're getting at though Kal-el, some elements of the armor could translate pretty well. Still glad to know somebody made that though.

One of the ways in which a samurai body armor in World War I would be considerably different from, say, a Roman or medieval Christian knight rework is that the armor was not made of metal. It was made largely of layers of leather. This removes the weight and bulk issue, but on the other hand, but without the strength of metal, it becomes even more useless than the metal plating.

However, if we suppose that the Japanese, wishing to incorporate the armor into their fighting tactics, researched better, stronger, lighter materials. We could assume that they make some early discoveries into kevlar or a related material.

For my mod in which all of the civilizations have different tech trees, this is quite workable.

It's a thought at least...

So much like a Roman Musketeer, the iron goes to steel and the leather goes to kevlar.

A quick internet search shows that silk could be used to make armor capable of stopping some black powder rounds, and a combination of that and light metal plating could be even more effective. Then nylon could be used for a World War I-II era unit.

The footwear could also remain largely the same. The "two-toed" boots on a modern Japanese infantry could add some flavor.

Those are some pretty good ideas. I remember reading some book (alternate universe, WWI never ends, 1950/60 or so) where the main character wore a large cloak of inch-thick woven silk to stop small-arms fire (pistols mostly IIRC). Given the properties of silk I can see such a thing potentially working - which it apparently does if your research is correct.

Given the time period we seem to be looking at (WWI or so for technological development) I think silk would be the material of choice. Probably in overlaping layers like seen in traditional lacquered leather to maintain the look. Very good suggestions overall Dom Pedro. While I'm at it, is your mod in anyway some sort of extension of ozymandias' Extinct Civilization Manifesto thread?

Kal-el said:
this guy isn't really what you are looking for, but it might help inspire.

?????? What the heck is that? Looks like a particular nasty example of a Far-Future Soldier......Must have!!!

Good ideas though regarding the I. Samurai though. I was thinking, what colors should the unit be? This could be fairly open-ended, since not all sides wore drab uniforms at the beginning of the war.

Symphony D. said:
Given the time period we seem to be looking at (WWI or so for technological development) I think silk would be the material of choice. Probably in overlaping layers like seen in traditional lacquered leather to maintain the look. Very good suggestions overall Dom Pedro. While I'm at it, is your mod in anyway some sort of extension of ozymandias' Extinct Civilization Manifesto thread?

Actually, not really. While I found that thread extremely interesting, this idea was actually born somewhat earlier. In the spring of last year, I started my own mod to incorporate the amazing new units people were putting out. I created a lot of new niches for technological innovations, but I also added a lot of flavor units, which I was really fond of. And so I wanted to get even greater diversity between the civilizations.

Upon adding my own techs, I also came to the conclusion that the technologies I was coming up with (as well as a number of techs already in the game) were too Eurocentric. My tech tree really showed a great development of a Europe emerging from the dark ages into the Renaissance and beyond, but it lacked other cultures' identities.

But I will say that out of ozy's ideas about warfare and making it distinctly different for the various civilizations, I did see a potential. While he was talking pretty much exclusively about the mechanics and tactics of war, I saw a chance to revamp the system so that it also included the means by which society's made war... their infrastructure. Indeed, he has incorporated that into his mod as well, but mine also seeks to do it for a very, very wide range of civilizations from many many cultures. And I think that is one key way in which they are different.

@Geddon: That guy is one of the paramilitary soldiers from Jin-Roh, a dark and depressing but nontheless quite good animated Japanese film. Yay for dark and depressing!

As for uniform colors... er, I like colors....

Personally, in addition to this "Industrial Samurai," which would rock hardcore, I'd like to see a Samurai equivalent to the "Man-at-arms" unit, sword and pistol by his side. :) Could be easily used as an Isshin Shishi, "Meiji Samurai," or late-medieval/early Industrial era infatry unit in even a non-alternate history setting.

Ok, just whipped this up, not sure if it fits what you are looking for. My design is closer to the contemporary WWI uniforms than to a fictional outfit in that he wears no armor other than his helmet. The cut of hs jacket is designed to emulate the traditional armor, but it is just cloth not leather.

Looks excellent, Kal-el, but I'd personally think the mask should be more... well, grotesque :p . But I doubt that would really show up to well at Civ-scale anyhoo.

Master Kodama said:
Looks excellent, Kal-el, but I'd personally think the mask should be more... well, grotesque :p . But I doubt that would really show up to well at Civ-scale anyhoo.

Definitely not.

ShiroKobbure said:
i think give him a ww1 gas mask with a kabuto.I like the Arisaka riffle idea. I do not know what you mean by samurai. But samurai wore 2 swords as a birth right. so give him a wakizashi. those are my idea ^ ^

Yeah, I think it would be cool (and extremely practical) if that mask acted as a gasmask as well.

Look over the comments by everyone on here DPII, that was already mentioned....mhahahhahahah!

BTW: Heres how I'd do the Samurai Upgrade Paths with this unit included...

Samurai......Armored Samurai......Gun Samurai......Samurai Infantry(Meijj Rifleman).....Industrial Samurai

Top Bottom