Units you would like to see...

I hope paratroopers are included with Vanilla. By the endgame in BTS they are my primary infantry unit.

suicide bombers? kamikaze fighters? sappers? tunnel rats? field engineers?

Many wars have been won or lost under ground. Being able to dig trenches for defence or tunnels for shelter from bombs and sneak attacks. I'm not exactly sure how a game mechanic like that would work or even if it would, but I think it's something to consider.

Partisans and Fundies from civ2. Or call them militia, or irregulars. whatever.

In general, a game of civ's scope needs to have some unit of irregulars available for every era. This would help very much the introduction of peasant revolts and revolutions.

edit: I second the light cavalry proposal.

How about a sniper unit that is invisible like a spy, but can take out or damage one enemy unit with a ranged attack?

Given that most likely one unit will represent a division or something like that, snipers doesnt make much sense. Unless there gonna be some special commanding units like in Dawn of War, but I doubt that. Nice idea, but can hardly be implemented in the game like Civilization.

i was thinking about this idea, what if a unit targeted by snipers didn't necessarily take damage, but suffered a penalty to its combat effectiveness, or even movement speed due to the sniper taking out the leadership.

could lead to interesting strategies. send snipers in ahead of your main force to scout and when your main force is in range have them take out the enemy leadership so your grunts have a better chance of winning.

Maybe a sniper could be a strictly defensive unit. Leave them in cities or in forests to pick off anything that gets too close. Any enemy that stands within 2 tiles of the sniper automatically takes X damage per turn. Damage could be on a % basis like bombard damage. However, once a unit closes on the sniper the sniper must flee or be easily killed. Therefore, the longer the enemy stays in range of your snipers the more damage he takes. Having snipers covering your rear lines during long battles could really help. Also, snipers could be used in a hit and run style, by just keeping the enemy in range but constantly moving every turn, forcing the enemy to either close quickly or flee. I don't know - I'm just brain storming here.

I'd like some light cavalry unit. A basic distinction missing in Civ4 is light/heavy cavalry.

Yeah. Light cavalry can have a higher withdraw chance, while Heavy Cavalry has higher base strength.

A light cavalry unit, sort of a hussar like in age of empires 3?? That would be cool

Aren't Hussars typically classed as heavy cavalry? :confused:

EDIT: I was thinking of Polish-Lithuanian hussars. Hussars are typically light cavalry.

An APC unit like oh say the BTM7 of Striker that actually carries infantry... hmm, hmm?!?!

- Different sailing units

- Differentiation between light and heavy cavalry

- Maybe some types of skirmishing units in the early and middle eras (like javelineers or slingers)

1. Jaguar warriors who are not completely useless.

2. Submarines that have ranged torpedo attacks (like how archers can fire from a few hexes away). This could make naval battle more exciting, as maybe you'll need some destroyers around (instead of just having a stack of battleships) to prevent these attacks.

3. Really just any fix to submarines to make them suck less.

4. Civ 3 pirates. Ones that have a chance to take the enemy ship.

Submarines that have ranged torpedo attacks (like how archers can fire from a few hexes away)

My guess is that in civ5 all gunpowder and later sea units will have ranged attack.

Patrol airplanes (P-3 Orion, P-8, Embraer P-99): Could see submarines and stealth naval units.

AEW/AWACS airplanes (E-3 Sentry, E-2 for carrier, Embraer E-99): Could give % chance of interceptation against enemys fighter and/or % chace of evade enemys fighters and sam.

Refueling airplanes: Could give +1 or +2 range.

It's too boring have just one or two kind of tanks, ships or airplanes. In this game and in all ages could be a lot of diferent units for each age, like some civ 4 mods.

Here are some of the new units I'd like to see:

*Curragh (from C3C)
*Caravan (rename "Merchant"?)
*Diplomat (rename "Ambassador")
*Hunter? (couldn't think of a name, like CIV's Warrior, but with Strength 1)
*Anthrax Bomb (damages city population significantly)
*Fast Archer (Movement 2, not 1)

More to come soon.

I would like to see infantry vehicles separated from the infantry line.

Infantry have always upgraded into Humvees (II) or Bradleys (III & IV), and from a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't like the modern era being cluttered with vehicles and no people.

So upgrade the current "infantry" unit into something akin to the "marine" as your final unit in the infantry line (barring any future-tech units) and have the mechanised infantry as a lighter alternative to modern armour with the capacity to carry infantry.

I would like to see infantry vehicles separated from the infantry line.

Infantry have always upgraded into Humvees (II) or Bradleys (III & IV), and from a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't like the modern era being cluttered with vehicles and no people.

So upgrade the current "infantry" unit into something akin to the "marine" as your final unit in the infantry line (barring any future-tech units) and have the mechanised infantry as a lighter alternative to modern armour with the capacity to carry infantry.

i agree completely, it never really seemed to quite fit to me that in the modern era there were no "boots on the ground". the modern warfighting foot soldier is pretty impressive when you think about it, with all the modern tech, gear and armor. they should deffinatly have a place in ciV.

I think the game could need:

* Super-battleship: like the Japanese Yamato. Very expensive, oil-consuming and slow, but with awesome firepower and durability.

* Super-carrier: like the modern US carriers. Huge cost, but with ability to transport a full airforce.

It seems that many people want to see more tanks, ships and planes. I think adding more of those type of units would be almost redundant. You can already customize your units by gaining experience and upgrading them to fit your strategy. If they added another tier of the same units it would make any previous upgrades obsolete, and it wouldn't change the gameplay at all. I think if they add units, they should fulfill a completely different role in combat, not just a bigger, badder version of an existing unit.

I do agree however, that the naval combat in 4 could have been better. I'm not sure adding units is the answer, but revamping the current unit list would be a start.

As far as air force goes, there's fighters and there's bombers. I'm not sure you can add much to that. Some want planes for scouting purposes, but a fighter could serve the same purpose. All they can do is add super fighters and super bombers. Then super duper fighters and super duper bombers. Then it becomes redundant again.

Navies in regular Civ IV has some problems, you go from ancient ships to industrial frigrates to modern destroyers with no middle ground. There needs to be an age of sail with at least something between galleys and frigrates, age of steam to middle gap between frigrates and destroyers, and age of oil ships with somethings to flesh out the naval scene.

Top Bottom