Upgrading one's iMac

Reddwarfian

E're now! Whats all this?
I have an iMac Dv SE (Summer 2000) with a G3 500 Mhz Processer, and I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions for an upgrade to be able to use it this coming school year. (I'm going to get a powerbook next year)

The thing needs a new HD, and I'm probably going to be upgrading to 10.3. Technowarehouse has a G4 upgrade, but I'm probably only going to need it for Word Processing, and internet. (possibly a little software programming, depending on what classes I am able to take)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

10.3 is an upgrade in itself - it'll speed the routine operations up on a G3, and it looks beautiful. How much RAM do you have? More memory is the first thing to get before putting a new processor in it. If you need more disk then sure, get a bigger drive, and if you up the disk speed to 7200 rpm that'll make a difference to perceived system speed as well. If you still feel the need to get a faster CPU after you've done all that then it'll be going into a good home.

AlanH advise are very good... I to recommend 10.3 , but I don't think you should upgrade CPU on an iMac cause, anyway, the motherboard will not let you benefit from the G4... the bus speed of the G3 just doesn't do the job... save your money to get a new mac... that's what I do!

Actually, Trab, a new Mac would cost over $1000! I can get my iMac running for $200-300.

And I do need to replace the CPU, because it's fried. Literally.

That's a good deal. I have a G4 Sawtooth. It was a 350 MHz CPU, and I did all the other things I mentioned over the last year or so, plus giving it a better video card for Quartz Extreme compatibility. They were all very effective, then last month I gave it a 1GHz CPU and now it flies. The CPU cost over $300 including UK taxes, but worth every penny.

Reddwarfian said:
And I do need to replace the CPU, because it's fried. Literally.
D'oh! I mixed up the CPU and the Harddrive.

For clarification, it is (really) the harddrive that has been nuked.

[edit]Hello? Department of Redundancy Department...Yeesh...[/edit]

I'd just get a 7200 RPM drive and Panther, and p'raps more memory if you are at 256 MBytes or less. Leave the CPU off your list for now.

Top Bottom