US Congresswoman shot in Arizona

As people identify mental illness over whatever potential politics he listened to, the criticism of the rhetoric and lies remains valid and important, but the perpetrators of the rhetoric will feel emboldened as their critics look slightly foolish. (or just act like they were foolish as they are doing already)

This is sad news, but by no means is it surprising. Where exactly did people expect the hyper partisan boat to finally run aground?

The public arena has devolved into a freak show, where only the most outrageous opinion will be heard in a sea of voices. Moderate opinions do not differentiate themselves enough in the tide of sound bites to be noticed. The only way to fulfill the American dream of being on TV is to be as caustic as you can, a left wing lunatic or right wing nutcase, in hopes of inciting enough hatred and devotion from the masses to land a regular appearance (and pay cheque).

I heard once that you can judge the decay of a society by the inherent moral quality of its entertainment. I think that’s true. Much like Roman society was unraveling leading to more freakish and perverse bloodletting in the arena. In the era of 24 / 7 news delivered instantly to you in the twitter-verse, politics is simply another form of entertainment. And look what it’s becoming.

Jared Loughner is our Frankenstein. A monster yes, but a monster created by our ignorance with the tools of our era.

I’m not an anarchist, and I firmly and truly believe that to preserve our society, it must be torn apart and rebuilt.

I dont know that he ever saw her website, but I do know this - that guy is NUTS! If it wasn't a politician, it might have been a church or synagogue, or a school that booted his crazy ass out of school. I'm frankly surprised he didn't go visit Pima CC, but he moved on and found a target to coincide with his progressing disorder.

Palin's a fool and her ad is in poor taste, but I doubt it inspired this guy...

You are correct. Assuming he is ill (which is very likely) then he could have gone after another target depending on what was stimulating his delusions.

But Palins website will be used against her from now on.
Also I should imagine that anyone using such imagery may also find that it backfires against them.

Nope. Not even close. I even think that parents banning kids from playing GTA is absurd.

And once again, I don't think anybody has stated that this particular person was "influenced to violence by conservative radio or the tea party". I certainly haven't even though you and others continue to falsely accuse me, or anybody else who has mentioned "vitriol" since this incident occurred, of doing so.

I think it wildly funny that you even try to deny this wasnt your implication earlier in the thread. :lol:

I really dont see how the comment I quoted earlier could be taken in any other context to be honest.

Even at a time of horrific incident which has already claimed the lives of six people, the same propaganda techniques and logical fallacies continue to be used by the far-right to try to attack the credibility of anybody who disagrees with them.

What are they disagreeing with again? Oh yeah, that conservative radio wasnt responsible for this. Duh.

Care to explain how propaganda and logical fallacies are being implemented to achieve this? :rolleyes:

But Palins website will be used against her from now on.

And rightly so, if she didn't want to incite criminality she should not have been allowed to put up such inflammatory material. Same goes for any Democrats who do similar stuff.

Frankly I find all this "politician/commentator X is not to blame" like trying to excuse Luther's anti-semitic remarks just because they were never intended to be used by Nazis.

I think it wildly funny that you even try to deny this wasnt your implication earlier in the thread. :lol:
I really don't think continually using propaganda techniques and deliberately mischaracterizing others' opinions by using absurd logical fallacies, so the far-right can vilify them to try to gain political advantage instead of actually dealing with the issues, is "wildly funny" at all, especially considering the context of this thread and the fact that 6 innocent people are now dead.

I really don't think using continual propaganda techniques and deliberately mischaracterizing others' opinions so the far-right can vilify them instead of actually deal with the issues is "wildly funny", especially considering the context of this thread and the fact that 6 innocent people are now dead.

Care to give us an example?

an example

While I didnt realize that my humble self was such an important cog in that far right propaganda machine (foxnews must be behind on those paychecks apparently), can you then explain what is implied in this quote in reference to conservative pundits like Palin or Beck:

We are claiming that their all-too-frequent use of completely absurd "vitriol" may very likely cause mentally unbalanced people to do very stupid things.

What do you think is implied there? With it being said in this particular thread about the incident in Arizona. Honestly. :confused:

I also find it rather amusing that quoting someone directly is labled as 'vilifying' them. Perhaps we should change the 'quote' and 'multi-quote' button on the forum to 'vilify' and 'multi-vilify' for accuracy, eh? :lol:

The same people who think this guy was influenced to violence by conservative radio or the tea party are the same kind of people who want to ban video games because they think it influences violence in teens.

Just sayin.
And just wrong. I for one think that the violent rhetoric could have had some influence on this mentally unstable person. I do nt think video games should be banned - not for violence, not for sexual content, not for the fact that a game measures the age of a planet in terms of billions of years.

While I didnt realize that my humble self was such an important cog in that far right propaganda machine (foxnews must be behind on those paychecks apparently), can you then explain what is implied in this quote in reference to conservative pundits like Palin or Beck:

What do you think is implied there? With it being said in this particular thread about the incident in Arizona. Honestly. :confused:

I also find it rather amusing that quoting someone directly is labled as 'vilifying' them. Perhaps we should change the 'quote' and 'multi-quote' button on the forum to 'vilify' and 'multi-vilify' for accuracy, eh? :lol:

Most people do not think it is an appropriate subject in which to end a comment with lol. or find things "wildly funny".

A just wrong. I for one think that the violent rhetoric could have had some influence on this mentally unstable person.
Better watch out. The far-right may decide to target you next for apparently agreeing with what seems to be the overwhelming majority of the population. I bet we see a concerted effort to curb the all-too-frequent use of "vitriol" in this country after this sad incident.

Being such a proponent of the First Amenment, it bothers me that a few people who can't handle the responsibility inherent in that right may very well cause those rights to be restricted. Hopefully, we can find a better way to deal with this recurring problem than to take such extreme measures.

I wonder how many times that strawman is going to be repeated in this thread.

so this guy would have remained a happy camper if not for political rhetoric?

Seems unlikelkly given the assumed illness.
But the possibility of killing someone important may give more of a spure to acting on a delusion than a person at random.

so this guy would have remained a happy camper if not for political rhetoric?
Probably not, though the cash in his back pocket may not have bothered him as much. Must have been pretty destabilizing to not purchase the gun and bullets with gold and silver.

Most people do not think it is an appropriate subject in which to end a comment with lol. or find things "wildly funny".

You didnt answer my question in regards to the implication of the quote. Did you forget?

Better watch out. The far-right may decide to target you next for apparently agreeing with what seems to be the overwhelming majority of the population. I bet we see a concerted effort to curb the all-too-frequent use of "vitriol" in this country after this sad incident.

Being such a proponent of the First Amenment, it bothers me that a few people who can't handle the responsibility inherent in that right may very well cause those rights to be restricted. Hopefully, we can find a better way to deal with this recurring problem than to take such extreme measures.

Since your such a proponent of the First Amenment, what do you suggest to solve this recurring problem?

Top Bottom