• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

US 'death squad' operating in Afghanistan

Is it any surprise people who like to kill people and maybe get away with it are drawn to a military career?

As a product of the British system, which has always prided itself on filtering out the 'unsuitable', I'd actually say yes - normally it's unlikely for people without a high standard of personal discipline to survive basic training, with its screaming corporals and endless hours of doing pointless, back-breaking work, without hearing the dulcet tones of "Sergeant... Getthathorriblelittlemanawaygethimbeastedgethimjailedandgethimoffmycamp... RIGHTTHISSECOND!. However I know that other countries don't demand such high standards; they have accordingly more recruits pass training and a different outlook on life which does, regrettably, lead to more nutcases slipping through the net.

2 hours between double posts - impressive ;)

Is it any surprise people who like to kill people and maybe get away with it are drawn to a military career?

Do you consider spending 24 years in prison as 'getting away with it'?

Do you consider spending 24 years in prison as 'getting away with it'?

For crying out loud Mobby that's the second time this evening! He's not saying that they got away with it in this particular case, he's saying that the people who want to get away with it are drawn to a military career!

For crying out loud Mobby that's the second time this evening! He's not saying that they got away with it in this particular case, he's saying that the people who want to get away with it are drawn to a military career!

He is responding to Jollys post that contains that example. I am asking him a question in regards to that example. If that wasnt what he was referencing he can feel free to give some examples of what he is referring to, if Jollys reference isnt what he was talking about.

I said "maybe get away with it".

Of course people who like killing are going to be drawn into a military career - it's not rocket science.

I said "maybe get away with it".

Of course people who like killing are going to be drawn into a military career - it's not rocket science.

I think thats a pretty bad assumption. I think people who like killing are probably going to be drawn into a life of crime, not the military. As proof I offer the simple fact that we have a much lower rate of crime among our ranks, although examples of it happening in war zones are usually all over the media. But the hype doesnt equal the reality - the vast majority of soldiers are quite well behaved actually, especially in comparison with the average civilian population.

Indeed. Just watch some of the Youtube videos of American soldiers celebrating after killing Iraqis. I'd post some of them here, but they all seem to have an outrageous amount of profanity.

Indeed. Just watch some of the Youtube videos of American soldiers celebrating after killing Iraqis. I'd post some of them here, but they all seem to have an outrageous amount of profanity.

Youtube videos dont prove anything. Especially in that context.

I think thats a pretty bad assumption. I think people who like killing are probably going to be drawn into a life of crime, not the military. As proof I offer the simple fact that we have a much lower rate of crime among our ranks, although examples of it happening in war zones are usually all over the media. But the hype doesnt equal the reality - the vast majority of soldiers are quite well behaved actually, especially in comparison with the average civilian population.

But what they're attracted to the military for (ie. killing) is not a crime in the military so what has the level of criminality in the military got to do with anything?

But what they're attracted to the military for (ie. killing) is not a crime in the military so what has the level of criminality in the military got to do with anything?

Murder is still a crime in the military.

Just to hazard a guess....what percentage of US soldiers actually fire their weapon in combat, let alone kill someone? Care to guess?

Btw, the reason the soldier mentioned earlier got 24 years in prison is because he is going to testify against the other soldiers implicated in these murders. 24 years in prison is the deal he got for doing that.

I think the UN should invade the USA. It is the only country that deserves foreign intervention.

As the USA already is 90% of any UN military effort, all I can say is good luck with that. :lol:

If they wanted to kill and get away with it, they should have blown up an airplane over Scotland.

Deliberately murdering civilians in a foreign country: 24 years sentence.

Trying to tell the rest of the world about atrocities committed in Iraq and Afghanistan by divulging "confidential information": Possible death sentence after deliberately abusing the alleged discloser.

Trying to tell the rest of the world about atrocities committed in Iraq and Afghanistan by divulging "confidential information": Possible death sentence after deliberately abusing the alleged discloser.

Getting a few civilians killed: 24 years
Possibly getting many civilians and soldiers killed, throwing away your honour as a soldier and a gentleman, and betraying your country's trust: possible death sentance

Seems in proportion to me, my own views on capital punishment aside.

Form, this was the guy that was also going to testify against his squad mates. His 24 year sentence was his plea 'deal'. The others, if convicted, hopefully will get far worse.

Form, this was the guy that was also going to testify against his squad mates. His 24 year sentence was his plea 'deal'. The others, if convicted, hopefully will get far worse.

Agreeing with mobby here. If flipping one guy gets the rest fried, I'm all for it.

Top Bottom