[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

From what i can remember from looking over the Rev forums, it give penalties when you have other forms of government, like Representation.

I guess I've been playing with revolutions long enough that I almost never get revolution warnings. Things such as connecting to capital has been in my goal list anyway, because it has other advantages besides just reducing revolution penalty. I've always avoided slavery and instead go for caste system. Pushing highly towards science, culture and happiness at the same time. By military power I only tend to survive because I play wars better than AI, and I often have at least some technology advantage.

So if you think more about your playing strategy and locate the spots that cause issues with your people and then change the way you play you'll probably end up avoiding revolutions.

Civ4 in general has been a great game on learning to become a better player, it forces to think how you play the game. Saving yourself by bribing other AIs to wage war isn't anymore an option, you must keep good relations or be able to push out enough military power to keep yourself safe.

Better AI has improved the AI a lot, even though it could still be improved. However, improving it more would make the game too hard for many.

I guess I need to take a look at the list of causes for revolution - I'm getting better, but last game really confused me. I had a pretty big empire (over the pop limit for domination by 1900, due to 2 wars of conquest taking 2 nearby civs) and seemed to be doing great. Looked at my rev page - nearly every civ in my empire was getting worse... I was taking a hit for 'huge empire', and I can certainhly understand that, but the one that was confusing was 'financial trouble'... I had been running the science slider at 70 to 80%, and still making money - so I still don't quite get that one.

I saved the game, went back, and switched civics to a more profiable setup, was making huge amounts of money - still taking a hit for poor finances.

Finally had to go back to the saved game, just cranked up the culture slider and kept enough gold to repeatedly bribe cities as I got warning messages, and managed to hold the empire together long enough for a win, but it was a little frustrating...

I think, as you've said, I need to go get a better understanding of the rev mechanisms. Connection to the capital I learned, and a few others (like civics choices) but the rest sometimes suprise me in bad ways.

I noticed that financial troubles thing as well.

Weird.

I find myself stockpiling GPs for Golden Ages to get over post-war insurgencies.

Well if the next version breaks down the Revolution reasons, that will be nice. Often times I've gotten a 'financial troubled' warning yet my empire is humming along. Sometimes I get a bit peeved over what is wrong since I'm ahead in total points, have lots of Wonders and yet still some are unhappy for what looks like no reason.

BTW, what affect does having a leader's favorite Civ or religion do? For the life of me I can't find it in the rulebook.

Official Version updated to 0.9.6b 13 Aug 2009

Changelog:
General 0.9.6:
  • Updated RevDCM core to 2.51
    • Fixes many minor bugs such as broken events and Text issues
    • Fixes ranged bombardment for naval units
  • Released LoR and LoR light versions. LoR light has had all non essential parts removed, such as ethnic unit art, shrine movies, and scenarios. This is to acomodate those with low end computers and to reduce the download size for those needing it. LoR and LoR light are save game compatible, so you may swap saves for succession games or change versions with no issue.
  • Rebuilt ArtDefines XML files from scratch
  • Switched out less known or "deserving" leaders like Lech Walesa (who the hell is that guy?) with Ataturk, Xerxes, and El Cid
  • Exposed Civic Revolution Effects when revolutions are active
  • Cloned Civic Revolution XML tags into TraitInfos, added some RevTrait functionality, exposed to player when revolutions are active in the game
  • Added Maximum Start Era to UnitInfos, Legends now have a maximum Start Era like Wonders
  • Added Emancipation Requirement to 54th Infantry
  • Minor Tweaks to Units, Crossbow now 60 hammers, and no longer targets mounted last, nerfed Hungarian Cannon, Mohawk Sentry given +100% defense against warriors
  • Tweak to Serfdom, Farms +1 Commerce, -2 Health, Hight Upkeep, +100% Revolution Distance Penalty, still produces units with food
  • Added back default techs in BtS to Barbarians. This makes all barbarian effects much harder.
  • Fixed all scenarios, and added a scenario. Only scenarios that are compatible with LoR will now be possible to load
  • Nerfed Enlightened to +5% research
  • Improved intro screen for better aesthetics across resolution settings

0.9.6 is not previous version save game compatible. Obviously, look at the list of changes. However for those using the 0.9.6 earlier test builds, the current version 0.9.6b is save game compatible with 0.9.6 and 0.9.6a.

Thanks, I got it from the Atomic Gamer link since Filefront mangled it again. Any advice on what civics are a decent choice for the early days of a civilization? I keep seeing penalties for each one (I think) that look semi-serious, which makes me usually stick with my stock civics to avoid calamity.

None of the civics as such is really bad when you're still relatively small, I think you can well play almost any game in the lead no matter which civics you use. Your own playing preferences should still weight over which civics you should choose. Also, the details just weren't available before, they were hidden from you. There are no real changes in civics, you just can see the effects better now. Whether that has effect or not on how you play the game is mostly only your problem :)

Torrents for 0.9.6b - tracked via http://openbittorrent.com/

Anyone who wishes to help those with poorer connections are welcome to seed :)

Edit!
Due to critical art bug in 0.9.6b with Vikings the zip file below is updated for a torrent for light version only.

Just recieved a report that means that there is a critical art bug in the Vikings. This means that after having a test build out for about a week, with 50 downloads, no one reported it, also it means I failed in properly checking the work done on the last build. I am extremely frustrated at this, and so am removing all links to the mod, and taking it down for all intents and purposes for at least a couple of days. LoR will return again in a week at most, but my emotional frustration at this compels me to remove all support for the mod, at least for a bit.

LoR will return again in a week at most, but my emotional frustration at this compels me to remove all support for the mod, at least for a bit.

I would say this is a good thing, phungus. Chill out a little, you have been plugging at this huge project like a maniac, and all for free, as a hobby.

There is not need for so many updates, and so fast. Why not get this next version really tight, set a very specific set of features / goals for the final version, and give us a 0.9.9 in a couple weeks? The time pressure and deadlines you've been setting are pretty harsh, and the last thing we all need is burnout and abandonment when this excellent thing is almost ready!

Stay on target! Be Luke, and not Gold Leader in the Y-wing! :D

Agreed. Take your time. I played as vikings with an older release and didn't notice anything but if I let you down as an end-user, then for my part I apologize. But the important thing is to slow down a bit and come back to it with a full heart.

I would even suggest doing a more official play-test. A lot of us are just playing it as a game! :) Me, for example, I never play the Vikings. But if you want the users to be responsible, then maybe ask for volunteers to sign up to do thorough and detailed play tests of specific nations, specific eras, etc. I am sure that folks would get on board if you delegated tasks.

Nobody expects perfection from a 3-man project like this. Take it easy and maybe wait until revdcm gets updated with BULL and all the new betterAI goodies, do the Legends promotions then, and release a 1.0 in a few months. For now the test build is quite good, no need to take it down I think. Just let us know how we can fix anything critical or post a hotfix.

@achilles: would you consider changing the icon graphic for the pathfinder? It's not up the standards of the rest of the mod IMO.

Phungus, relax man. No one is required to report anything, even if they do encounter it. And I bet people are playing new civs, instead of an old, under powered one like the Vikings, and you can't see all art problems unless you can play the civ.

Anyway, I did find a graphic error. The Join City as Great Spy button is missing.

Testing always takes time. It would be good if there were enough time to actually write up a list, now a new release often comes out before I have finished a single game. Time limitations are a bit cruel.

Also, when I finally have the time to fully translate Finnish next month, it will take tons of time to do all the translations, not to forget all the fixes for mistranslated strings - I've noticed the existing translation has quite a few of them, just not in very visible places.

I agree with others: set a clean target deadzone a few months away from now for a 0.9.9 that attempts to be a feature complete version that has everything you wanted for. Then let it have a longer testing period to ensure there is nothing critical that still remains.

I'd put 0.9.6b back in and just make a visible enough statement that a critical bug with the Vikings has been found and suggest playing other civs until a patch has been released. With a pre-1.0.0 nobody expects the mod to be perfect :) (Darn Firefox, why you set so high standards for a 1.0.0 release!)

Top Bottom