v 25, Bugs/Crashes reporting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two problems. 1) Resource button no longer works. The only thing that shows up when I click on it is mushrooms next to my city. The deer and bison and prime timber don't. This is using GEM map with random placement of civs.

The resource button "remembers" your last setting. Not sure when that was added or if it was intentional. I have the same symptom you reported, but you can zoon out to World View (F11) and click "Everything" in the resource display option. That works for me, and it sounds like your last selection was Luxuries.

I have identified what I think is the root cause to the praying hand icon displaying on the Religious Tech button when someone else has discovered the Tech.

The praying hands are only removed when the Religion is founded instead of when the Tech is researched. If someone is the first to discover a Religious Tech they get the GP, but if they choose not to found the religion then everyone else will still see the praying hand icon in the lower right corner of the Tech Button.

This is a very minor display bug which does not materially affect game play, IMHO.

2. You are allowed 2 Thieves and 2 Rogues. Rogues replace Thieves. I built my Bandit's Hideout late, after Rogues were available to me. Once it was built the Theif unit disappeared from my city selection options as the Rogue unit became available (i.e. from darkened to lit). Again as noted above the 'Hide Untrainable Units' option was not selected. My initial guess is that once the newer/upgradable unit is available you loose access to the older one. However this isn't exactly a global case, (i.e. that assumption is not true with existing older units). Another experiment led me to learn that I could build 5 Hunters even when I had 4 Trackers still wandering around.

Unless a national unit is forced obsolete then once you have built all the "new improved" ones you can then build the old ones. This is normal Civ IV behaviour.

Similarly, old versions don't count against newer versions. I think it may be possible to "fix" both these but you would probably end up with 5 trackers and neither be able to upgrade them nor build hunters.

BTW I have had the only 4 trackers problem. If I remember correctly saving exiting and loading fixed the problem. I can't remember if I did a recalc and it fixed the problem or not.

I have identified what I think is the root cause to the praying hand icon displaying on the Religious Tech button when someone else has discovered the Tech.

The praying hands are only removed when the Religion is founded instead of when the Tech is researched. If someone is the first to discover a Religious Tech they get the GP, but if they choose not to found the religion then everyone else will still see the praying hand icon in the lower right corner of the Tech Button.

This is a very minor display bug which does not materially affect game play, IMHO.

Thanks for identifying that. It means that is is working as intended since the hands on the icon are there to indicate that the religion has not been founded. Looks like we may need to look at what we want the AI to do if DP is active since those techs give a free Great Prophet to the first to discover but not in the normal way. Which means that the AI may be looking at those techs and evaluating them incorrectly. They may consider them worthless techs with DP on.

OK, at the moment I can only get into c2c one in three tries. Never if I try and load a new save. This is using the latest SVN. I even redid the whole SVN. Also when I play a game my Era Infos file is being updated - no changes made just the date and time changed to when I try and stat a game. When I get in I can start a new game but don't get far before I get a CTD with out message. i am assuming it is something to do with my new Graphics card. :( At least I can read these forums now without the huge delays.

OK, at the moment I can only get into c2c one in three tries. Never if I try and load a new save. This is using the latest SVN. I even redid the whole SVN. Also when I play a game my Era Infos file is being updated - no changes made just the date and time changed to when I try and stat a game. When I get in I can start a new game but don't get far before I get a CTD with out message. i am assuming it is something to do with my new Graphics card. :( At least I can read these forums now without the huge delays.

Yeppers, anytime it just up and quits its a graphic issue, i just re-did my working copy also with the new SVN, and actually it working better than my old workig copy did, and i have had NO CTD, delays nothing>>>?
s
Best thing to do is post the minidump and the BBAI maybe that has some info on what is going on (maybe)?

If you post a minidump I can at least eliminate the possibiliy of it being a DLL issue...

Also when I play a game my Era Infos file is being updated - no changes made just the date and time changed to when I try and stat a game.
Ah, thank you for catching that.
That is the MusicUpdate script that always writes the era info even if there is no new music to add, which unfortunately also means that the cache check thinks that something has changed and does not actually load from the cache.
This probably does not have anything to do with your issue though.

Updated SVN and loaded my current game and i have all kinds of Guilds missionaries available to build in my cities now (i just researched Construction and started researching Oratory).

[edit] and when i went to civipedia corporation section i dont see any guilds there, only modern corporations. Is it intended?
I have guilds turned on as an option.

Unless a national unit is forced obsolete then once you have built all the "new improved" ones you can then build the old ones. This is normal Civ IV behaviour.

Similarly, old versions don't count against newer versions. I think it may be possible to "fix" both these but you would probably end up with 5 trackers and neither be able to upgrade them nor build hunters.

BTW I have had the only 4 trackers problem. If I remember correctly saving exiting and loading fixed the problem. I can't remember if I did a recalc and it fixed the problem or not.

1. I've only run Vanilla Civ IV before getting BTS and then loading/playing C2C (although I've seen some Let's Plays so I'm not totally in the dark).

2. I've been through multiple starts of the game to experiment with the Tracker issue. It still existed in every reload case (albiet I was reloading from the same file though). I think in one case I somehow wound up with another permanent loss and was down to a Maximum of 3. ** I'd be happy to try to do a recalc, but I can't find the instruction on how to do it manually. I asked earlier in another thread, in regards to updating versions in the future (note: v25 is my first version) and was told that it would be provided as an option when loading a save file from an older version. I also don't see it in the FAQ and or the Players How To Documentation.

I appologize again in advance for not knowing this stuff, I am trying to find it all on my own first.

I reloaded my game to investigate my tracker issue and ran into a few obvious bugs (and have more info about the tracker and an associated question)

Bugs:
1. I've seen other map artifact displacements. In particular map additions (resources such as horses, and indigenous people statues) floating above their hexes (the horses at first looked like they were taking a swim in a coastal square). I've also seen (vulcano?) smoke displaced into a salt flat/desert area. Not sure if it was 'floating' too, but it was assurdely not in the right spot. FYI, turn change fixed the problem, but switching viewports prior to turn change did not.
*My appologizes if this is a known issue, I saw the bit on the highlight circle and the unit flag displacements*

2. Similar to the known USA flags issue, the French flags are now appearing as plain yellow. I think when I first encountered them they were normal, but now are plain yellow.
*My appologizes if this is a known issue, I saw the bit on the highlight circle and the unit flag displacements*

1. That is a known Viewport issue, Koshling is still unsure what causes it. Go to the military advisor and then leave it to make those artifacts go away, it works every time.
2. Yes, the unit flags occasionally changing colors and merging are a known Viewports bug. Koshling is working on a fix for that, but overall the Viewports are far more stable in the release then they were throughout V25 development

@Koshling: Could you please make a hotkey (Ctrl+Shift+V would be my choice) to rebuild the Viewport, so as to allow us to make odd glitches go away while you are working on fixes for them? Thanks.

Updated SVN and loaded my current game and i have all kinds of Guilds missionaries available to build in my cities now (i just researched Construction and started researching Oratory).

[edit] and when i went to civipedia corporation section i dont see any guilds there, only modern corporations. Is it intended?

For right now, the answer is YES. I just deleted all of them, Hydro has made up a COMPLETELY new set of guilds that will balance and fit way better (well at least he says it will):eek:

For right now, the answer is YES. I just deleted all of them, Hydro has made up a COMPLETELY new set of guilds that will balance and fit way better (well at least he says it will):eek:

I've removed the Guild units now on Hydro's request (well, strictly speaking, I only commented them out, but they should not be ingame anymore.)

I've removed the Guild units now on Hydro's request (well, strictly speaking, I only commented them out, but they should not be ingame anymore.)

Also i put this out a few days ago also:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11724549&postcount=6627

Both the Great Wall and bridges seem to be shifted from their correct places. This makes them show up in the middle of the ocean more often than not, and the great wall shows up in a different spot each time, too.

EDIT - Also, it seems that for certain improvements, the terrain changes that the improvement brings "float", while the improvement itself is presented correctly. In the screenshot we can see that happening with some mines and a quarry.

http://i.imgur.com/ZxXpn.jpg

Just wondering about the floating improvements-I'm more concerned by those that at least partially disappear (the fields for farms seem to do this the most for me). Are they maybe 'floating' negatively and thus obscured by the base terrain?

The Great Wall has been working for me, but I also see the bridges getting floaty if I've been playing a while. The blue circles are back, but not as helpful as they used to be (They used to designate unimproved tiles near the same city as the active worker, now they don't seem to know that there are improvements in the tiles).

In my current game I 'captured' the National Epic, which is kind of a bummer (I had it in my build queue in a city I expect to grow larger than the one it is now located in). I assumed national wonders were not capturable, but in any case I don't think I could have reasonably avoided this (not enough espionage to see in the city, not that I'm in the habit of checking anyway).

Just wondering about the floating improvements-I'm more concerned by those that at least partially disappear (the fields for farms seem to do this the most for me). Are they maybe 'floating' negatively and thus obscured by the base terrain?

The Great Wall has been working for me, but I also see the bridges getting floaty if I've been playing a while. The blue circles are back, but not as helpful as they used to be (They used to designate unimproved tiles near the same city as the active worker, now they don't seem to know that there are improvements in the tiles).

In my current game I 'captured' the National Epic, which is kind of a bummer (I had it in my build queue in a city I expect to grow larger than the one it is now located in). I assumed national wonders were not capturable, but in any case I don't think I could have reasonably avoided this (not enough espionage to see in the city, not that I'm in the habit of checking anyway).

If you go to the Mil Advisor and then exit it will rebuild the Viewport and fix the graphical errors (but they will come back again in the future). That is why I asked Koshling to make a key sequence to rebuild the Viewport.

I want the blue circles back that denote city sites. I have the same BUG and graphics settings as before, but they don't show up. To me that is an extremely important part of the game.

Ah, thank you for catching that.
That is the MusicUpdate script that always writes the era info even if there is no new music to add, which unfortunately also means that the cache check thinks that something has changed and does not actually load from the cache.
This probably does not have anything to do with your issue though.

It used to just be the audio XML file have you changed it recently to also do the eras infos file? The eras infos file has only been getting updated in the revisions since v25 went out. Maybe including that revision since that was about the last one I got before my computer crashed and the era infos file has only changed since then.

It used to just be the audio XML file have you changed it recently to also do the eras infos file? The eras infos file has only been getting updated in the revisions since v25 went out. Maybe including that revision since that was about the last one I got before my computer crashed and the era infos file has only changed since then.
There has been no change to the script in quite some time.
I am changing it so the era info is only changed if there is actual reason to do so (which means a sound file for an era added in one of the New folders).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom