v19 bugs and crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were right, it was Revolutions... I just started a new game, and around the start of the Ancient era my rivals already had bigger cities :D

I guess "No revolutions" is checked on the custom options screen for a reason hehe

Thanks!

My Game Hunter just subdued a panther on a Mountain when I got the Grey screen (see screenie).

If I use the minimap I can go to other places on the map and they are fine. But if I go back to the Game Hunter and Panther and try to move the cursor the screen flickers and flutters.

No vipers were around or hurt in the taking of this screen shot! ;) :p

JosEPh

Edit: when I tried to go back into game ( I alt tabbed out to post) it CTD'd. Minidump attached. I did save before I tabbed out. I can provide the save game if needed.

My Game Hunter just subdued a panther on a Mountain when I got the Grey screen (see screenie).

If I use the minimap I can go to other places on the map and they are fine. But if I go back to the Game Hunter and Panther and try to move the cursor the screen flickers and flutters.

No vipers were around or hurt in the taking of this screen shot! ;) :p

JosEPh

Edit: when I tried to go back into game ( I alt tabbed out to post) it CTD'd. Minidump attached. I did save before I tabbed out. I can provide the save game if needed.

Yes that is the "laser graphics" glitch I have been having for many versions pre viper.

Maybe the minidump will give some clues too?

After I went back into the game (restarted after ctd) everything was back to normal. But when I went to the Game Hunter and panther, on the tile just north of the Mountain where the panther was subdued on, was a subdued Red Kangaroo. So maybe the RK attacked the Game hunter on the same move as the GH subdued the Panther?

Another clue? Or bigger mystery?

JosEPh

As expected the crash is in the Direct3d DLL.
I still consider a bad model as most likely culprit.

In my recently started PW game , build 1419 , I am also experiencing the graphical glitches connected to a subdued viper.

As this animal is known to cause the problem would it not be wise to remove the viper from the game until a solution is found ?

Is is possible for a player to remove the viper themselves from the code or should it be left to modders ?

Edit : OK just received another set of graphical glitches ( screen turning light blue / grey and flickering ) - this time with a subdued direwolf so it is not linked solely to the viper .

I presume that the only way forward so far is to delete the unit from the game when this happens - any thoughts please.

Further Edit : on reloading the save game after the direwolf glitch the game screen was back to normal and the direwolf icon playing normally and moved without causing a graphical glitch

DavidR

Guard Dogs are not like the other units in the dog upgrade paths. They can't patrol borders and get different promotions. Police Dogs which they upgrade to are able to patrol. Is this an oversight or intentional?

New minidump.

JosEPh

I get pretty consistently crashed out to windows without any error messages at around 1500 AD or so. I am playing Giant map and there are around 26 civs or so. I had very recently unlocked cartography and so have just recently opened up much of the map now via trade, so I'm assuming there is a graphical issue with so much of the map unlocked now. It crashes simply as I scroll/click around the map. Note that I had not had a single crash to this point in the game (pretty amazing) but now I can't go a turn without a crash even after reloading.

My main question is, should C2C work with Giant maps or do I need to bump the size down to Huge???

I am also playing in 1920X1200 mode with all graphic settings to high and anti-alias set to 2. Is that not something that can work with that map size? If not, which graphic setting should I lower (I don't want to lower them all unecessarily) to make the biggest impact?

I really like playing large maps / lots of civs and most of the options turned on (such as Revolutions mod).

Note that my PC is pretty new and relatively high end (Windows 7, Intel I7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series graphics card, etc).

Are you playing v19 main download or the SVN version?

If you are using v19 Main the go to the Patch thread post #94 and follow the link for a .dll patch. Install that patch. Whenever you have a CTD it will create a Minidump file in the main BtS directory. Zip or rar the minidump file and upload to this thread.

The patch also fixes several issues that were in the original v19 d/l.

AIAndy is using the minidumps to fix more bugs and glitches. So if you can contribute Please do so. Every bit helps make C2C that much better and stable.

JosEPh :)

Are you playing v19 main download or the SVN version?

If you are using v19 Main the go to the Patch thread post #94 and follow the link for a .dll patch. Install that patch. Whenever you have a CTD it will create a Minidump file in the main BtS directory. Zip or rar the minidump file and upload to this thread.

The patch also fixes several issues that were in the original v19 d/l.

AIAndy is using the minidumps to fix more bugs and glitches. So if you can contribute Please do so. Every bit helps make C2C that much better and stable.

JosEPh :)

I was playing the v19 Main and after the crash I went and installed the patch to see if it would help. It still crashed in an identical fashion. Basically, I process the next turn, and when it is done I start to click around the map and eventually it just crashes to windows with no message. I am providing the minidump from the latest if it would be any help...

Edit: By the way I just tested again after lowering all my graphic settings from High to Medium and it still crashed identically...

Attachments

• MiniDump.7z
    11.6 KB · Views: 27
Yet another dump:
This is the same weird loss of the Y coordinate on trying to move somewhere. I am still not sure why that happens but there is a lot of code I am not familiar with involved here.
Can you give me a savegame of when that happens?

I was playing the v19 Main and after the crash I went and installed the patch to see if it would help. It still crashed in an identical fashion. Basically, I process the next turn, and when it is done I start to click around the map and eventually it just crashes to windows with no message. I am providing the minidump from the latest if it would be any help...

Edit: By the way I just tested again after lowering all my graphic settings from High to Medium and it still crashed identically...
Crash happens in D3D9.dll also.
If it happens very regular with you now, maybe you can find out what has changed compared to when it did not happen regularly. Any new units around? A new wonder built?

Crash happens in D3D9.dll also.
If it happens very regular with you now, maybe you can find out what has changed compared to when it did not happen regularly. Any new units around? A new wonder built?

The recent event that I'm pretty sure caused it was researching cartography and then buying up all my neighbors maps. This significantly increased the visible portion of my map (enough so to get the +1 water unit movement perk). This would of course have introduced a lot of new units/graphics from the other civs that had not been rendered before, ,but it could also be something more general such as overwhelming the graphic card somehow (although it is a decent card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series)

Note that I also am attaching a save game if it would help. When I process the next turn and then start clicking around the map randomly, it will eventually crash to windows...

EDIT: Actually you don't even need to process the next turn. Just start clicking around the mini map randomly and after a few clicks it will crash.

Attachments

• Edrock AD-1477-July MAX COMPATABILITY.7z
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
The recent event that I'm pretty sure caused it was researching cartography and then buying up all my neighbors maps. This significantly increased the visible portion of my map (enough so to get the +1 water unit movement perk). This would of course have introduced a lot of new units/graphics from the other civs that had not been rendered before, ,but it could also be something more general such as overwhelming the graphic card somehow (although it is a decent card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series)

Note that I also am attaching a save game if it would help. When I process the next turn and then start clicking around the map randomly, it will eventually crash to windows...

EDIT: Actually you don't even need to process the next turn. Just start clicking around the mini map randomly and after a few clicks it will crash.
I have been able to reproduce it. Clicking wildly around the minimap crashed it after a bit.
So the question is: Do we have a bad model? Or are we pushing the Civ4 engine beyond what it can handle? Or some other reason?

My last mini was from ALT-Tabbing out to post here and then re-entering the game. I had another one but think the last one overwrote it.

JosEPh

I have been able to reproduce it. Clicking wildly around the minimap crashed it after a bit.
So the question is: Do we have a bad model? Or are we pushing the Civ4 engine beyond what it can handle? Or some other reason?

This isn't actually new, it happened in AND too and IIRC in the later ROM versions.

I can't seem to build the Dutch East Indiaman even though playing as Germany, with a Dutch culture and having researched all the needed techs. I could build their other special units though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom