1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

v19 bugs and crashes

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EldrinFal

EldrinFal King

Seem unable to build Trireme and similar tech level boats with Shipwright built on lakes.

Update: Recent SVN changes are working. In my particular game, I was able to build a Trireme. Thanks.

2. TheDisco

TheDisco Warlord

Clicking wildly around definately crashes it faster. But even if you just patiently click around the mini-map it will crash it eventually as well.

Amazingly, to that point in the game I didn't have a single crash. And I played for several hours in a row one evening.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with how the video cards work with Civ4 to know where video card resource issues may start to factor in. Is there a way to figure out what specific error occurs on the video card? I have a feeling that might give a better clue to what is happening.

EDIT: Also, I am able to reproduce this crash even if I lower the Civ4 graphic quality settings all to low. So hard to imagine it is a video card memory issue. One thing I did notice when I reduced the settings to low was some of the Melon tiles looked pretty messed up. Probably has nothing to do with the crash though but I thought that was interesting...

EDIT EDIT: Actually, all of the melon tiles and pumpkin tiles are messed up when you go to low quality graphics setting. If the tiles are being worked then they are just a pink square. If they are not being worked it is a terrain square with some wierd pink blotches on them. Again, not sure if this means anything but every other tile type looked ok except for melons and pumpkins...

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yes, that is a BtS feature and is annoying when the lake where you want to invade from. Sometimes, if you build a connection to the sea you get to build ships.

4. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

Can't you just add a lake harbour that allows for building wooden ships, maybe later ones too?

Cheers

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The building, shipwright, lets you build ships but the game engine does not. Hopefully it is able to be fixed in the dll.

6. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Reduce iMinAreaSize if you want the ship buildable in smaller water areas.

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I will change iMinAreaSize to 5 for canoes and 10 for galley and trireme. Down from 20.

8. EldrinFal

EldrinFal King

Was going to do that but for this particular city, there isn't an ocean close enough. But looks like we got a working fix.

9. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Is anyone else getting this "Tutorial reading from Leonard Nimoy, "In the beginning . . . . ? Its overriding anything for SOUND:confused::mad:

EDIT: OK i found the name of it, its in the 1st Civ 4 sound section: OpeningSlideshow

10. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

A lake of size 5 is still large. A canoe should be fine even on a size 1 lake. Any unnavigable lake would probably not even appear on the map and the game engine considers any lake navigable if you get a ship into it.

11. BuddhaRebellion

BuddhaRebellion Chieftain

This is really minor, but 'Your polluting the oceans' should be 'You're polluting the oceans' - under the rollover diplo +/- effects with Waste to Sea.

12. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

My game drops down to like 12 FPS in between turns and has a stable 60 fps normally. However I continue to crash with the error - failed to allocate video memory or something like that. I reduced the in game settings to medium, no animations, no particle effects, no world view buildings but it still crashed after like 40 mins. Any advice how to overcome this error? I have HD 6970 1gb card and 64bit win7, i7 cpu etc
    Should I uncache the graphics or whatever that is? Which files?

Should I drop down to low graphics? Or maybe play a smaller map? Im playing 14civs on a large/huge map. Will the low textures option help?

Does anyone know what is the main cause of this error?

Oh and what is the most stable field of view?

Sry one last thing, might there be some important setting that im missing in my bts .ini I have don't page units when not in view and don't page animations so its not those :)
    thx

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Current SVN, I get a CTD sometimes without error but a couple of times I have gotten this Python error.

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 998, in forceScreenRedraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 1441, in redraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 1947, in updatePlotListButtons

File "CvMainInterface", line 2036, in updatePlotListButtons_Common

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
    ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface

Happens with the attached save as soon as it starts. Ie as it pans from my capital to the active unit.

14. Flinx

Flinx Prince

Since yesterday stacks show some strange behavior.
    Normally you tell them where to go or what they have to build and after they have reached the point or finished work they are ready for new orders.
    Now these stacks stay in sentry mode after they have finished work / reached the point while i normally expect them to be active and wait for orders. A real pita if you are in transhuman era and have around fifteen stacks of workers and looks after them every turn, not to mention the several military stacks.
    If possible, please restore the initial active after order mode.
    thanks in advance.

15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Does this only occur late game? If not (i.e. - it can happen early on) could you possibly contruct a test game (use advanced start or somethign to create a humn-player-only game on small map pre-populated with a small number of units so you can make stacks to illustrate the issue) and post a save game + instructions that illustrates it. Using the 1-civ small map, without extraneous units makes it way easier to debug this sort of thing, but if that proves imposible I guess I'll take a late game save game that illustrates it.

16. EldrinFal

EldrinFal King

I've noticed more lately a few odd things with pathing.

1) When setting a destination for a unit, the path it shows isn't the best. However, once I click on the destination, the path quickly changes to a better one, and is then implemented. So the right path IS being taken in the end, but it isn't showing it until AFTER the mouse click. Typically this is for longer paths in or near cultural borders.

2) Ocean units. Sometimes when I tell a unit to move to a certain tile that is in the fog of war (generally several tiles away) it will start on that route, but then turns out some unit is in the way (usually sea animal) and suddenly the ship goes into some kind of weird loop where it moves back and in circles until it's done with its moves.

Anyone else notice these?

17. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

This is common behavior even for vanilla BtS and iirc it is not fixable because the path shown before clicking is calculated in the exe and not in the DLL.

18. Flinx

Flinx Prince

no, i started a new game and this time it appears pretty early.
    I have attached a save in which you find a stack of a military unit combined with some workers. The "stasis" does not happen every turn.
    Try to build a road or any improvement you want; after the second or third command the stack will stay in fortified/sentry mode.

19. Flinx

Flinx Prince

I choose intentionally to take a second post rather than editing the previous one.

Load the attached save and hit enter, game does ctd.

20. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

Ah, the old "worker grouped with military units" bug. Easiest workaround is to have the military units and the worker units in separate groups. Then the sentry thing doesn't happen. Same stack, different groups.
    Though usually, or so far always for me, once the worker(s) is(are) finished the whole group pops up again. If as few as 1 of a grouped stack has no movement left the whole group stays inactive until a turn where ALL units have movement left and no auto-command running (i.e. the worker is still building on the road, he just hasn't done his tick for this turn).

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.