v21 bugs and crashes

The PythonErr.log reports the python error messages. PythonErr2.log contains the traces written in the code.

You will need to put some traces in it to make sure it is going down the correct part of the if test. Or I can, although that is one wonder I never see.

Where do I find PythonErr.log? I tried searching my computer and couldn't find it. I found PythonErr2.log in the My Games folder.

How do I add a trace? I think I'm supposed to use CyInterface.addMessage to get it to output a string to the message log, correct?

I can attach another save game where a city will build the Field as soon as you end the current turn, if that would help.

Where do I find PythonErr.log? I tried searching my computer and couldn't find it. I found PythonErr2.log in the My Games folder.

How do I add a trace? I think I'm supposed to use CyInterface.addMessage to get it to output a string to the message log, correct?

I can attach another save game where a city will build the Field as soon as you end the current turn, if that would help.
PythonErr.log should be in the same folder as PythonErr2.log.
Most errors tend to end up in PythonErr.log. Very few in PythonErr2.log (mainly BUG start uses PythonErr2.log).

No they don't. Unless for some reason a small map and a huge map just happen to have the same scale. I started up a small map and based on government type I can build 3, 6, 10, 15, 20, and then unlimited cities with the top tier governments. I started up a huge map and based on government type I can build 3, 6, 10, 15, 20, and then unlimited cities with the top tier governments.
Now, I'm betting I won't have 20 cities before this small map is full, but 20 cities are only a drop in the bucket on a huge map.

Now, I'm betting I won't have 20 cities before this small map is full, but 20 cities are only a drop in the bucket on a huge map.

Thats for sure in my current game i know there are over 400/500??

I also have some strange slowdowns... especially when some civ wants to contact me...plus some strange "hangs " after the turn and not related to waiting for other civs .... it is always after they are done and my turn is on.

I get that too. The screen will come up of the civ wanting to talk to me, but the text area is blank. After a few seconds it will pop up and be normal again. (till the next time)

No they don't. Unless for some reason a small map and a huge map just happen to have the same scale. I started up a small map and based on government type I can build 3, 6, 10, 15, 20, and then unlimited cities with the top tier governments. I started up a huge map and based on government type I can build 3, 6, 10, 15, 20, and then unlimited cities with the top tier governments.

This might be a bug (I'll look into it when I get time), but thinking about it I think it we might have decided not to scale it because larger maps (usually) have more civs, so the area per civ is roughly constant. Somewhere the is a thread on it.

Edit - ok taken a look at the code. There IS scaling code (that scales by map area divided by default num civs for that map size) but it's disabled. As best I can remember we talked about it and I wrote the code to test out, but people decided it was better unscaled. I think the reason was that the number of civs associated (by default) with each map size is somewhat erratic, so the results were a little strange on some sizes. Equally, just scaling by map size defeats the purpose since large maps usually have lots of civs (so large map doesn't mean more initial area to spread into necessarily), so in the end just leaving it constant for consistency was where we left it.

It's very easily changed if you can suggest a sensible scaling to use...

PythonErr.log should be in the same folder as PythonErr2.log.
Most errors tend to end up in PythonErr.log. Very few in PythonErr2.log (mainly BUG start uses PythonErr2.log).

I don't see a PythonErr.log. I have these files in my C:\Users\Vokarya\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs folder:
  • MLF.log
  • xml.log
  • resmgr.log
  • init.log
  • CvXMLLoadUtilitySetMod_MLFEnumerateFiles.log
  • PythonErr2.log

All of those files except for MLF.log have today's timestamp from when I was experimenting with the Field.

I don't see a PythonErr.log. I have these files in my C:\Users\Vokarya\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs folder:
  • MLF.log
  • xml.log
  • resmgr.log
  • init.log
  • CvXMLLoadUtilitySetMod_MLFEnumerateFiles.log
  • PythonErr2.log

All of those files except for MLF.log have today's timestamp from when I was experimenting with the Field.

You need logging turned on in your civilization.ini file.

So I downloaded V21 from v19... the I managed to subdue a duck... subdued ducks are listed as being able to build the basic 3 animal buildings (governer's pets etc...) the subdued duck only has the butcher option. (100ish turns into an eternity game)

Also, I can't find the option to disable the entirely useless auto-pass-turn option. This option is causing me more issues than upgrading the difficultly level does.

Someone apparently decided that it would be AWESOME!!! to inflict the xp caps on barbs and animals automatically... Its part of a larger issue in which I every new version cancels out all my presets on bug and starting game options. Hunting them down and discovering which counter to my play style options are the presets this time is thoughly annoying. As BUG options randomly switch if I alter the map style or size this gets worse.

---
Did anyone fix the issue from v19 where contient maps never spawn with oil on the larger maps at least?

There's a minor issue with the pop-up tip dialogue boxes (I know a lot of people turn the tips off, but I leave them on because they are a good reminder when I have new civic options available etc) when they ask you if you want to spread your state religion.

My state religion is Naghualism (sp?), and a dialogue box popped up reminding me that spreading my state religion would be good for my empire, but asked me if I wanted to build a Magi in a city that had Zoroastrianism, but didn't have my state religion at all. Later another one came up suggesting that I should build a Kannushi to spread my state religion (and Shinto was not my state religion).

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read through the entire thread!

So I downloaded V21 from v19... the I managed to subdue a duck... subdued ducks are listed as being able to build the basic 3 animal buildings (governer's pets etc...) the subdued duck only has the butcher option. (100ish turns into an eternity game)
They require various techs to enable. From the subdued (duck) unit entry you can get to the options it has and see what techs they require.

They require various techs to enable. From the subdued (duck) unit entry you can get to the options it has and see what techs they require.

And you have to be in a city with it of coure for the building options to be valid. In the wilds you only have butcher.

:wallbash:It is so painfully slow and hangs are so often and so long that I do give up on this game. There is something seriously wrong with automation of units. I have often situation when i get switched after the turn to one of my active units to do some action and than suddenly I am switched to the movie of some of my automated units fighting with sea creature. Shouldn't it be done already before i take control?

I hope someone will look into savegame and tell me if my game got too big or what....My rig has lowest windows score of 7.8 ;) plenty of memory everywhere powered by 980X

I have autosave set to 1turn so maybe that is it.... is my system ssd not adequate?

It is such a nice game..... going so well...

Attachments

• painslowAD-0690.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
:wallbash:It is so painfully slow and hangs are so often and so long that I do give up on this game. There is something seriously wrong with automation of units. I have often situation when i get switched after the turn to one of my active units to do some action and than suddenly I am switched to the movie of some of my automated units fighting with sea creature. Shouldn't it be done already before i take control?

I hope someone will look into savegame and tell me if my game got too big or what....My rig has lowest windows score of 7.8 ;) plenty of memory everywhere powered by 980X

I have autosave set to 1turn so maybe that is it.... is my system ssd not adequate?

i have the same problem with this and my windows score is 7.9 and i have ssd too. The patch was help a little bit.
But there are strange problems by automations too. First is that worker stay in citys and dont go out and when i do them on a field and start there automation they wait 3 turns and then they work. The same with explorers, many of them stay in borders and dont go out.
With my current game on GEM i must but the explorer near this place there was must hunt and then i can make normal automentation how is work. Second is that when i set to discover land they only stay in discovered land and not go out. Only 1 of 100 do it right.
In V20 i have this problem not, it is start with V21.
I have see too that automantation need more performance then V20. On this map where i am play, i am in prehistoric time and with 8 enemys with together 36 citys and it is lags like mad.
But anyway this Mod is awesome and i play nothing others:D

When I get time (probably not today though) I'll analyse your save game's end turn performance in detail. I presume you are up to date with the latest patch from the patch thread? (that makes a substantial difference to some automations)

Edit - I'm afraid I've only had a short time to look at this today, but the gist of the problem appears to be some ships that are in danger and are trying to retreat/seek safety but are trapped in some way (they cannot calculate a path to any friendly city or find a path to any location they deem safe). The path calculation involved in their attempts to solve this conumdrum is taking an inordinately long time. In outline terms I can see what to do about it, but I need to spend more time analysing the exact situation to see why this is happening before I leap in. The good news is that it will definately be fixable, but it may take me a day or two to completely understand and fix the cause. I'll post when I have a further update for you.

CTD without error message. Save and Dump attached, CTD repeats I tried 4 times to get beyond the point. Just end turn.

Once I fixed the inconsistent XML I mentioned in the SVN thread (and a consequential DLL bug that didn't handle unit and building prereq count limits being different) I couldn't get your save game to crash. It is therefore possible it was a consequence of that problem. Could you try with the latest SVN (or at least latest DLL plus the globalDefines.xml change I made) and see if that resolves it for you too. If it doesn't, try a modifier rebuild on load before you end-turn, and let me know if that makes any difference.

When I get time (probably not today though) I'll analyse your save game's end turn performance in detail. I presume you are up to date with the latest patch from the patch thread? (that makes a substantial difference to some automations)

Edit - I'm afraid I've only had a short time to look at this today, but the gist of the problem appears to be some ships that are in danger and are trying to retreat/seek safety but are trapped in some way (they cannot calculate a path to any friendly city or find a path to any location they deem safe). The path calculation involved in their attempts to solve this conumdrum is taking an inordinately long time. In outline terms I can see what to do about it, but I need to spend more time analysing the exact situation to see why this is happening before I leap in. The good news is that it will definately be fixable, but it may take me a day or two to completely understand and fix the cause. I'll post when I have a further update for you.

I update using SVN twice a day ;)
I can try to destroy all my ships and maybe I will see some difference (or anchor them in cities). I am rich.... shame for all promotions achieved on some thou..... Thanks for checking.
I'll keep looking for a fix update. To keep myself busy i will start smaller one... no navy this time ;)

Once I fixed the inconsistent XML I mentioned in the SVN thread (and a consequential DLL bug that didn't handle unit and building prereq count limits being different) I couldn't get your save game to crash. It is therefore possible it was a consequence of that problem. Could you try with the latest SVN (or at least latest DLL plus the globalDefines.xml change I made) and see if that resolves it for you too. If it doesn't, try a modifier rebuild on load before you end-turn, and let me know if that makes any difference.

It works fine for me now. Thanks.

As soon as I started to recall my naval units aka pick one by one and send them back manually, I achieved warp speeds in turn changes.... Thanks for suggestion guys! It is playable now!

Top Bottom