1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Value Shopping Computers

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by onejayhawk, Nov 28, 2018.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

My house has an office, in which I have a desktop computer. Since 90% of the usage is sites like this one, I don't need much in the way of power. however, my wife is a picture downloader, so decent storage would be nice.

All that said, how do I browse sites like Tiger, Walmart, and Amazon to get the most bang for the buck on a cheap computer? What is essential, what is nice, and what is just advertising?

J

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Bought 3 laptops for our family at ArrowDirect. They take off lease computers, mostly business machines, and refurbish them, add a new Windows 10 install and sell them. They are mostly 14 and 15-inch screens from Dell, Lenovo and HP and come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 1-year functional warranty. All of ours have been really good machines, so have had good luck with them.

The other place I look is EBay, but that can be a bit more risky. :)

edit - external usb hard drives are great for picture storage. :)

3. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

Definitely approve of the refurbished market. My brother gets all his machines from NewEgg.com. I was going to go that route myself, but lucked into a personal sale through my wife's neighborhood mom mafia.