Video Memory Crash (v1.52)

I don't know if people are still checking this thread, but I just downloaded the 1.52 patch and when I tried to load a game, I had the video memory problem. I've attached my info, any help is appreciated.

I lowered the video settings in game and my resolution on my computer. I also tried deleting the cache files as was suggested somewhere else in this thread; nothing has worked so far.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    40.6 KB · Views: 4,579
You hassle is the Radeon 9000, its barely adequate for the game and struggling to do its bit. In the long run would be wise to upgrade to a mid range card if the beastie will take it - Dell will tell you (if you go that route get their suggestions - specifically ask about heating issues of a new card - and then post back here and Board members can give suggestions / alternates that may also help). Also understand that you have 32Mb on the card, thats too low for the game, so your hardware overall does not support the game. Hardware specs for the game are:
http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_msr.htm

Meanwhile, you could try to tweek the installation to get the best out of what you have, its a fair amount of work, and it may not get it going after it all ... if not then you are definitely into a card upgrade. Even if the tasks below succeed, in the long run you will still face hassles without an upgrade tho as the game develops/gets patched.

Please be clear that the work below is not guaranteed to work , your hardware is below spec for the game

First run thro this
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3584355#post3584355 post 2

THEN, run thro this
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3593322#post3593322 post 8

In driver downloads (yours are out of date Aug 2004), try the Omega 4.12 ones shown first, they are likely to be more stable for your card

(ignore anything you may see there concerning AGP - you dont have an AGP problem)

If still hassles after all that, at least you know you did your best with what you have, and can upgrade with no lingering doubts

Regards
Zy

Thanks very much for the reply, but it seems odd that the hardware would be the problem. The game ran fine before I got this latest patch, and my roommate has the exact same computer I do and it works fine for him. I'll try your suggestions, though.

Patch V1.52 placed more work on the video card, if your installation was marginal it will have tipped you over the edge.

With your setup the 9000 has to work very hard - at the limits of its capabilities. Its important you minimise as much as possible the background activities, applications & services running, as well as reducing the load on the video card re low res etc. This all makes more RAM available for the game, therefor better performance, therefor in your case may give you that extra little bit more which puts you back on the game.

In a line - focus on basic PC "housekeeping" to get the best performance you can, a small increase in your case will probably do the trick. However as the game develops over time and places more demands, you may hit issues again. See what its like after the next Patch, which seems will not be long now

Regards
Zy

Well I think my system should cope quite well with Civ 4, but I get the same error that a lot of people are getting. Find attached my dxdiag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    49.3 KB · Views: 96
Hey everyone,
i have the same problem with Civ4 1.52 hard feezing my pc after between 10-15 minutes...
attached os my Dxxdiag file...can someone take a peek please?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    46.7 KB · Views: 93
I have the same problem with my 64 Meg Mobility 9200, although manually clearing the cache files works every time for the first time, but reverts if launched again with the cache files present. Any way to have the game delete these automatically? I know you can purge the XML, but what about these graphics files?

I am likewise experiencing this problem - the trouble is, my system is WELL above the recommended specs in every category. beyond frustrating. any suggestions?

3.2 ghz amd processor
radeon X700 pro
1 gig'o ram

Kelsoca

If not already done load Patch V1.52, if then still hassles please post your dxdiag file with as many symptoms as you can remember

Regards
Zy

alas' patch 1.52 was already installed.

the game seems to run smoothly for a good while (anywhere from a few hours to only a few turns) until...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FATAL_ERROR"

Your system has run out of video memory. Please try reducing your video settings.

File: \main\civilization4.bak\SDK\Gamebryo2_0\CoreLibs\NiDX9Vmanager.cpp, line:1018

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for the record, yes, my video settings are at their lowest possible.

the DX logfile is attached...

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    54.6 KB · Views: 82
Your Audigy 2 driver is out of date - 11/18/2003 21:13:54. Try updating the driver - new ones were released this month

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1305

Although may sound nuts, audio driver problems can cause issues as its possible for a badly behaved sound driver to clash on the internal system bus. There have been a few examples recently. Worth a shot

Regards
Zy

I had been running Civ IV with no problems until I installed Patch 1.52. After installation, when I tried to start the game I received a message reading that I had insufficient video memory and suggesting that I adjust my video settings at: File main/civ4.vbak/SDKs/Gamebryo2.0/corel-ibs/NiDCX9Renderer/NIDX9RenderedTextureDate.CPPI Line:167

I reinstalled Civ IV without the patch and now when I try to begin a game I receive the message: "Your machine is below minimum specifications. Civ IV will not run on this hardware setup"

Can somebody advise what to do? I am a relative novice with computers and do not want to make an error in adjusting my settings that will be beyond my capability to remedy. If somebody could walk my through what can be tried it would be greatly appreciated.

Jren

Please post your dxdiag

Start Button - click - select run - press enter - wait a min - select "save all information" - remember where you saved it - then post as an attachment using the 'go advanced ' button below

We can then have a look at what you have

Regards
Zy

Zydor,

Here's my DxDiag file - await your advice.

Thank you,
Jren

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    38.7 KB · Views: 83
I attached my diagnostic file. v1.00 works fine. v 1.52 gives me the memory error. Thanks for helping.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 90
it seems that i have the same problem. check out my specs and plz let me know if there is something wrong with my computer or what i need to fix it

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    43.2 KB · Views: 59
I have the same problem and I'd like to save you all a LOT of time. There IS a bug in the latest patch causing the 'out of video memory', that is self-evident from the scope of the problem. Even assuming you have too little video memory on-board, it is the responsibility of the application to detect that before the graphics ever initialize in the first place. If it's not a bug, the only other option is incompetence...either should be fixed.

All the "fixes" Zydor is suggesting are a waste of time, the size of your page file has NOTHING to do with your video memory (for example). You are being given the perverbial runaround. You can try clearing your Civ cache before each game or playing in a window rather than full screen [which works for me] for better stability, but that's about it.

Hopefully they will come out with a fix soon, but in the meantime please don't be conned into wasting your time on a wild goose chase; if Civ 4 won't last more than a turn or two for you, go play any other game you own that runs fine at max settings.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom