Vive la France ! Unit Pack, Part I

Well Sandris, you're really the man - compared to you, Santa Claus is a scrooge (he cames only once a year...) :crazyeye: Can't wait for the expansion...miam...

a little idea about 1650 musketeer's animation, but I don't know it it's possible to do:
I read in wikipedia, that as the muskets got less massive and didn't need to be braced on the stick (the "fork spear" thing, what ever this is called...), the musketeer began to use their "fork spears" to construct defense systems against cavalry. Musketeer troops also carried timber (these balks were about 4 meters long) and in the timber were a lot of holes. The musketeers put their "fork spears" in these holes and that way, kind of "cheval de frise" was constructed.

It's a pitty that the *.INI-files do not allow to split the fighting animations into attack and defense - cause in this case, the example above would be a highly historical accurate animation for defense, but it could also be an interesting alternate attack animation (while musketeer is fencing)

My manic proposal: Right after shooting, the musketeer could either put his musket on his back or let it drop (meanwhile, kind of timber balk appears softly on the edge), musketeer moves and put his "fork spear" into the timber, then pulls his rapier and go back to the middle position for fencing...
(and for holy sake, the same sh*t should be done again in reverse to fit the VICTORY/DEAD animations, right?) It was perhaps just a crazy idea, or could you imagine to try this...
:rolleyes:

What about the fencing animation, what should we do with the musket and the wooden rest during the animation ? :)
Ack! Good question. What do Steph's Cossack Conversions do with theirs, I wonder? I could go check...

What would real musketeers have done (that fork thing sounds cool, but...difficult)? Stick a plug bayonet into the old blunderbuss and neglected the rapier?

What if they had their muskets on a sling? They could shoulder the thing, and then go about swordplay. (Somehow I imagine that real musketeers didn't have shoulder straps for their muskets...)

Drat!!!

Abandon the fork, have him hold the musket in his left hand while he draws his rapier with the right. Don't have him let go the musket while he slashes, or the death will be a jump (musket will appear in death animation, or dissappear, any way you do it)

So about that civ color 1812 French Fusilier...

yet another opinion...

I'd prefer to have him drop everything...go all out with the fencing and avoid any clumsiness he can.

In the RFRE mod the Legio unit can build forts & roads as well as fight. Why not give him a separate animation, like the one Willi_Tell describes, to build a fortification. Then whoever uses the unit in their mod would have the option to give it that ability. And whoever doesn't could just use the rapier / musket attack.

Actually, there are lots of books, referrences and images with different interpretations on musketeer`s uniform.

What about the fencing animation, what should we do with the musket and the wooden rest during the animation ? :)

I think you can add to these units an attackb by sword/rapier.
Second I would prefer others colors for the sword. I dont'like very much the blu and yellow colors. ;)

yet another opinion...

I'd prefer to have him drop everything...go all out with the fencing and avoid any clumsiness he can.
Then the death won't look quite right, as the musket will appear back in his hand. But it would be easier to animate.

Hey Sandris, any chance of releasing any of these guys in civ color?

I've just finished and tested a civ-colored version of the "French Rifleman, 1890", I called it "Generic Industrial Rifleman". Here is a preview:

The file can be found here. Hope you like it.

EDIT: Fortify animation corrected.

Thank you very much! That one was one of my favourites and most used units from the original pack and you have just made it even more "useable". Many thanks!!!! :goodjob:

Thanks guys :) Glad you liked him. Yes indeed, units from Sandris are a very good base to work from.
This rifleman is definitely going to replace the Firaxis one in my games.

Top Bottom