Von Münchhausen Civ 5 SG

Coral? Do you mean pearls?
Aye, I was in doubt between coral and shellfish, knowing that neither them was exactly right.
Your tech plans seem fine to me.
I haven't looked at the tech tree to see if it fits in, but Horseback Riding would of course be very nice for Stables in especially Memphis. Lotsa hammers.
I'm not fond of upgrading the warriors to swords as a priority if we're not at war. Although I would keep some money at hand for upgrades rather than sign a research agreement, as that's always a bit of a gamble.

Stealing workers from city states is a 'No' I think. I've never done it, I assume this means starting a war, but since it's a city state you sign peace the turn after?
Sounds like an exploit, not good for the game.
What I'm all for is keeping barb camps alive in the hope a barbarian steals a worker, then nick it back.

Ok I'll leave the worker steal. You can take peace the same turn I think. Its been a very long time since I did it (its a bit exploity I agree) so I'm not sure.

I'll also leave the swords as well then.

Sounds good all around, yeah I decided to have some fun now that I know how to do the pics haha... Yeah had I thought about pissing catherine off I'd have told her to go bugger off with the city distance thing. Maybe we'll get one more full price sale out of her before it gets fun between us this way....

PFT

I move our remaining units.

Memphis starts on the Oracle.

Our DoF with Cathy runs out and I don't bother trying to renew it.

Kuala Lumpur wants us to wax Venice.
Spoiler :

Denmark has a settler moving towards us/away from a barb.
Spoiler :

Iron is hooked up but I'm not going to use it on upgrades yet.

IBT Bill is attacked and is taken down to 2HP! Also a barb spear spawns at the camp. He and the unnamed solider make a strategic withdrawal.

The trade route to/from Memphis is completed and is already running at a 2gpt profit. Nice.

Our OB with Harald ends and I do nothing about it yet.

Nothing of note going on. Just moving units to fog bust and scout stuff etc.

Our GA comes to an end. What a wonderful time it was. Still things are looking pretty good now as well.

Our brave warriors being confronted by the barb spear bravely.... run away.

I also note Harald has finally founded another city!

Civil Service is in and I switch to Theology
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

We enter the Medieval era.
Spoiler :

Thebes, Tomb > Settler

The barb spear bypasses our wounded units in favour of harassing Harald! Good idea I say.
Spoiler :

Heliopolis, Monument > Library

Nothing going here. I played the extra turn to get us on a nice round number.

Info

Political map
Spoiler :

Our cities
Spoiler :

Demo. Doing pretty well here for early in the game.
Spoiler :

Diplo. Cathy has gone guarded.
Spoiler :

The Roster
grandad1982
Brichals - up now
Optional - on deck
Emstinson
?

The Save

Attachments

• SG-Egypt_0090 BC-0625.Civ5Save
    615 KB · Views: 109
Just remembered. When the settler is done don't forget to put Thebes back on food or it will starve!

Nice turns Grandad.

I just looked at the save. Only problem I can see is that Harald is driving a hard bargain for OB. We could sell him our horses for that otherwise we will have to pay over the odds. Otherwise we could wait for Optics. It will be tricky to clear that camp with the 2 warriors we have seeing as they seem to have access to spears now.

My plan would be to sell horses to Harald for OB, move the Chariot over to the barbarian penisula whilst another warrior there goes west scouting when healed. Take out the camp with Chariot and warrior, then bring them back. It is only a matter of time before Cathy attacks I think. We are 3rd in army though and if we upgraded to 2 swords we would be even higher maybe.

Social Policy from oracle I was planning on Republic (the plus hammers one). We dont need happiness right now. For builds I thought maybe another chariot in Memphis and Water Mill in Thebes as we are not working some good tiles there yet.

And am I right in thinking we settle on the hill above the silks?

And am I right in thinking we settle on the hill above the silks?
I remember grandad1982 made some dotmap a long time ago, but no matter how hard I'm browsing through old posts, I'm not finding it.
I made a new dotmap, although there's only one dot on it:

This red spot has the advantage that it can work lake tiles instead of sea tiles and that it makes another city location in the central area unnnecessary. Normally I would go for a coastal location, but the sea has nothing in it here, there's nothing to recommend a coastal spot besides the Silk.
A disadvantage is that the luxury against the coast will come in a bit later, but otherwise it seems very good.
The tiles from the lake will give some gold, it can share the Gold tile with Thebes, it has the deer straight away, a couple of hills and the cows.
Cathy will find it hard to settle inbetween Heliopolis and this spot.

For next policy Meritocracy might be just as interesting as Republic. As soon as the new town is happiness wil dip again, and I'm not sure how soon we'll get the Sugar in.

That barb camp with worker seems extremely hard to get! It's 3 turnsets ago now that I started chasing that worker. We should have kept our archer there. Even a wounded archer could have taken that camp down, hiding behind the worker.
Do whatever you think is best with that, Brichals.

Have you got any other ideas about what to build? thebes and Memphis are both free again after a couple of turns.

That looks like a fine settling spot, and yeah we've got the sugar and the silk still left to acquire so happiness is looking alright. I'm down for the hammer policy first, always helps with a brand new city. I guess I should peek at the save before I go to nuts though. And a might fine peacetime set Grandad, looks like we may have a shot at wonders if we want to brave them, none of the AI have even built one yet have they? I don't even recall the ocean ones being built yet....

The free GP will be much sooner then anticipated with the free social policy, we could probably pop the HS in a city and then take that free GP and save the engineer for the tower in however many more turns it would be at that point... or is there another wonder we want badly? But then we would have to build the tower normally... hmmm choices choices.... EDIT: And of course taking a scientist to pop Education would allow us to hard build the tower before we could probably get it with an engineer. I like that choice a lot. and then still have a shot at building the HS and having another GP to pop something else... makes me giddy with anticipation....

Oh, sorry, I see a Water Mill was suggested. I think that's a really bad idea. What's that for? Can't be for the +2 food, because Thebes has got plenty of floodplains. Can't be for the +1 hammer either, because there's no point in investing 100 hammers only to get 1 hammer per turn back after it's built at the cost of 2 gold per turn. That would be extremely bad business, anything else is better than a mill.

Oh, sorry, I see a Water Mill was suggested. I think that's a really bad idea. What's that for? Can't be for the +2 food, because Thebes has got plenty of floodplains. Can't be for the +1 hammer either, because there's no point in investing 100 hammers only to get 1 hammer per turn back after it's built at the cost of 2 gold per turn. That would be extremely bad business, anything else is better than a mill.

Oh sorry I mixed it up I meant WaterMill in Memphis because we have about 2-3 good improved tiles that we are not working at one time. Maybe the gpt is a bit high this early, I never consider that too much.

Other options are: library-not urgently needed before Heliopolis and 4th city get theirs as we will need it for NC, but currently it will give us 3 beakers per turn.
StoneWorks gives us 1 happy and 1 hammer but I think we will still be +4 happy after 4th city goes down. Then there is barracks. I think we need a dedicated military city, Thebes would be good for it but then it would be good for many other things too. Our 4th can get good production with lumbermills.

Emstinson your thoughts on HS are very interesting indeed. I will need to relook at the save before I plan again the next moves.

So the red dot is a good place. I can settle there. I thought we needed a city on the coast eventually for exploration but it looks like Heliopolis might be that. We can embark a scout I suppose.

Stone Works gives 1 hammer, but also an extra hammer on the Marble tile, so that's at least 2.
Library would also be good if Memphis doesn't have one yet.
Another wonder seems fine as well, if we fail we get some cash for upgrades or buying influence with a city state.

Thebes is better for military than Memphis, I think, as Memphis is more suitable for wonders, with its Marble.
I do see us building military soon. There's not an awful lot left to settle peacefully once our 4th town is in. Perhaps a 5th town just south of the lake, but that town would then be our war declaration to Russia (hoping they declare on us, of course). I think our route is "settle 4th town > prepare for war". We can still build wonders, but we need to be very picky with buildings in general. Every game of Civilization has always been full of buildings of dubious use, especially for military games, and it's the same for Civ 5. Perhaps even worse.
Our neighbours will start building castle defense at some point, so we'll just make it tougher for ourselves the longer we wait.

Maybe grandad1982 will still have some input here, I'm not sure when you plan to do your set, Brichals.
Oh, when you play, try to get a citizen back on the river-dyes again, a 4-gold, 2-food tile is too good not be working!

I would like to do mine tonight but then we have a lot of potential options so I would like to hear more back aswell. I thought that Stone works gave 1 hammer, but 2 hammers and a :c5happy: is a good call. Actually its probably the best now as we can lock in a high food tile to keep growth and get the hammers from buildings with the extra happy.

I plan to make another chariot in Thebes after settler. I think settling our 4th city might start war with Cathy sooner or later. But she will give us some turns for preparing with a denouncement.

So we get a GS from the tower, and eventually after the tower is built we'll build one ourselves, I bet we could enter the renaissance via astronomy in 30-40 turns haha, sick. But unfortunately we should probably open up some military techs instead, I'd wager trebuchets would aid our cause against walls. But our iron limitations will make this interesting. Maybe we should settle the other iron there in the middle. I can't see either of them not declaring war on us after the 4th city is built in maybe 15-20. I wonder if Cathy has iron in her lands we can't see...

On the wonder front I was going to suggest use the GP from lib (a GEng)to pop the HS, then use the HS GP (GEng again) to rush the Tower in Thebes (it gives GSci points as does the GLib). This involves hard teching Education. I actually prefer Emstinson's idea of taking a GSci from the HS and bulbing Education then hard building the Tower (still in Thebes for my money).

I'm ok with the city spot in Optionals map. Mine was above the silk hill (2N of silk) as I was anticipation a 5th city between Heliopolis and the silk city.

On the builds front I would suggest a barracks in one of our cities (Thebes?) if we plan on producing several more ranged units (they gain xp more slowly). Memphis would be ok for a lib or a stoneworks. I'm easy either way.

I will check closer on the save and see the optimal way to do it, hard teching or hard building. Come to think of it now I have a strong feeling bulbing will be faster. That being said we might not finish the policy tree in my turnset so we can still discuss. I might put up an interim save anyway.

There is a 3rd alternative. Rush HS in Heliopolis, take GS, bulb education, build PT in Thebes. This gives us 3 wonder cities for our culture boost in Piety. Providing 1 great engineer can finish that in 1 turn but I think he can for earlier wonders.

This depends what GPP Oracle and HS give. If they are both artists like I imagine then they should both go in Thebes for synergy. We are getting pretty smooth in this game.

So do you think we should put HS in Heliopolis? I think it would be nice to get a bit of extra culture there too for borders (I presume HS gives a :c5culture:point or 2). Can 1 engineer finish it in 1 go? I think it should.

Well if we do take what ever the policy from Piety is then yes it could be a good idea to put it in Heliopolis. However I do have a feeling that it could be better to concentrate culture in a few cites rather than spreading it our between all of them. +33% per city works better if a city has a high base rate after all.

OK let's do it!

Operation Chariots of Fire begins as I send the chariot on a quest to emancipate the Danish settler from his brutish oppressors, wish me luck. Harald pops a GG, he must have killed that barb spear.

Good stuff begins next turn

We start with the wonderful Oracle pop up.
Thebes- Settler goes to barracks. I'm a bit uneasy building vanilla units and I think we can squeeze a rax in here, 9 turns for rax + chariot together.
Memphis- Oracle to stoneworks but I put max food on until next pop (4 turns). I don't like seeing those great tiles go unworked.
Settler is on his way south.
Horses hooked up, I will deal with Harald.

Spoiler :

Of various deals offered I can give him 55 gold and 1 horse varying to 72 gold (for us) and 4 horses for 30 turns. Without horses he wants iron or pots of cash. Can't do.
I kind of go for a weird compromise because I save us a horse, we might go HB Riding soon. If Harald attacks us with our own horses, they will go on strike and only be half as effective, so I'm not worried about that.

Spoiler :

Republic taken, shaved a turn of barracks actually so visible already, next policy in 3 turns lol.

GL built somewhere and somebodys gone medieval on our ass (somewhere)
I send a warrior west to see whats beyond Aarhus, not much I guess. Camp spawns a brute but chariot is going over there and Bill is healing up on a hill.

Our OB finishes to Harald and I renew it for 27 gold. Don't see why not really. Maybe we could of used it for his OB. Oh well. heliopolis expands borders onto the gems tile. Sweet. Gonna work that just as pasture finishes.

Liberty finishes and we go GE. Piety opener next
Elephantine settled and goes to library. Piety will give us a discount on culture buildings so they can come later. I put some hammers in library for faster NC.

Cathys gold deal falls through. I renew it for 132 gold and 1gpt for our gold. The dizzy mare is probably gonna attack us anyway. So stony faced in this pic. Hmm we are beginning to stockpile a bit.

Spoiler :

Memphis to pop 6, back to more production focussed and dyes worked.
That camp is so going down.

Spoiler :

Camp dispersed and we take worker.
Scouting warior meets stockholm. Irrational maritime with wines. Me likey. Facepalm, we are the first to meet it and its right next to hapless Denmark.

Thebes to pop6. bringing back worker.

Memphis - SW finished, library in 5 turns.
theology done, I will squeeze in sailing. Time to back fill as we will bulb Education.

Gibraltar found beyound Stockholm but seems to be the end of our continent.

Denmark allies Vienna
Sailing finished, HB riding put in as placeholder but engineering,optics and mathematics are all appealing.
Im tresspassing in Stockholm to see if theres anything beyond that. Bringing our army and worker back. Trying to hook up Heli and Memphis by road, going to improve that dye.

HS can be rushed in Heli now before this turn ends. I left it open for you guys. I like it personally. We could use reformation and as heli is our 3rd city we can afford to put culture buildings there. It will be a decent city.

Here is a map of the known world.

Spoiler :

And save

Attachments

• Ramesses II_0101 BC-0350.Civ5Save
    636.6 KB · Views: 198
Top Bottom