Vote for your 3 civs you would most like to see (Part I : Western Europe) ?

Which 3 civlizations would you like to see in the future ? (Western Europe Part)

• Netherlands

Votes: 93 51.4%
  • Portugal

Votes: 79 43.6%
  • Papal States

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Denmark

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Sweden

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Scotland

Votes: 23 12.7%
  • Ireland

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Italy

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • An italian City-State (Venice, Genoa, Florence, ...)

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • Austria

Votes: 34 18.8%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Belgium

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Celts (as a whole)

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • Gauls

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Iceni

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Picts

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Hispanians

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Lusitanians

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other celtic tribe not mentioned (please specify in comment)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Malta

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Goths (or Ostrogoths or Wisigoths in particular)

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • Other (please specify in comment)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
If I remember correctly, Malta is just at south of Sicily, which makes it in Western Europe. Where would you put it if not there ?
You're correct, I was thinking of Cyprus.

would Lorenzo de Medici be your leader pick for Italy?
Yep. The fallback option would be someone like Victor Emmanuel II (so the capital would be Turin), but Lorenzo feels like the best choice.

I voted for Portugal, the Netherlands and Sweden, these are my three favorites.

However, if you give me more options choice, I would choose Celts, Goths, Austria, Venice, Florence and Denmark.

I would like to hear Gothic spoken in the game, since it's an East Germanic language, which must mean it sounds different from the Western and Northern Germanic.

I would like to hear Gothic spoken in the game, since it's an East Germanic language, which must mean it sounds different from the Western and Northern Germanic.
Gothic sounds distinctively Germanic, but it does have it's own unique flavor. Notably, it's less affected by ablaut than the Northwest Germanic languages, and if I recall correctly it's less affected by rhotacization. I'm working on an alternate history set in Macaronesia, and I originally intended to have the Vizigoths colonize Madeira--so I originally intended to create a medieval descendant of Gothic. I ended up altering my plans by creating a distinct branch of Indo-European for both the Azores and Madeira, but I'd still love to create an a posteriori Gothic language sometime.

Voted other: there are more than enough Western European civs
Really? I mean, I absolutely want to see some other regions filled in first, but saying we don't need any more Western European civs when such obvious major players as the Netherlands and Portugal are missing is a little short-sighted.

I voted Sweden, Austria, and the Gauls. Other West Europe civs that I would like are the Goths, Scotland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Portugal, Finland, and Switzerland.

Italy, Austria and Goths.

Italy is long overdue, Austria was quite central to European history and the Goths would be rather interesting.

I went Scotland, Malta, and Papal States.

Scotland has a lot of options, and would probably be a nice Medieval or maybe Rennaisance era military faction.

Malta would probably get some cool Hospitaller unit(s) and plus I believe it would be there premier appearence in Civ. Can't believe I am the only one who voted for them.

And Papal states would surely be a nice religious Civ, I would love to see how they do city names though.

Scotland has a lot of options, and would probably be a nice Medieval or maybe Rennaisance era military faction.
Why Scotland over Ireland? For most of the Middle Ages, Scotland was split four ways amongst the Picts, the Gaels, the Danes, and the Saxons (or their successors, the Anglo-Normans). True, by the end of the Middle Ages it had been reduced to Gaels and Anglo-Normans plus Gaelicized Danes in the Hebrides, but shortly thereafter financial insolubility and dynastic forces compelled Scotland to unify with England in the United Kingdom.

If we're going to have a Medieval Celtic kingdom, I think Ireland makes more sense. Their contribution to the preservation of learning and literacy in the West, while brief, can't be overstated, and the illuminated manuscript was an integral contribution to art as well. Plus, even if he was proclaimed a heretic, the theology of Johannes Scotus (recalling that the Medieval Latin term for Ireland was Scotia, while what we call Scotland was Caledonia) is absolutely fascinating. Yes, Ireland was also fractious (not that Firaxis sees that as a problem: viz., Greece, Scythia, Polynesia, etc.) and ultimately conquered by the English, but culturally it was certainly more significant than Scotland. Plus Brian Boru definitely checks the "big personality" mark.

Ultimately, though, I'd rather see Ireland and Scotland represented by Dublin and Edinburgh city-states, and God forbid the confused multi-millennia-spanning abomination that was the Civ5 Celts ever return.

Why Scotland over Ireland? For most of the Middle Ages, Scotland was split four ways amongst the Picts, the Gaels, the Danes, and the Saxons (or their successors, the Anglo-Normans). True, by the end of the Middle Ages it had been reduced to Gaels and Anglo-Normans plus Gaelicized Danes in the Hebrides, but shortly thereafter financial insolubility and dynastic forces compelled Scotland to unify with England in the United Kingdom.

If we're going to have a Medieval Celtic kingdom, I think Ireland makes more sense. Their contribution to the preservation of learning and literacy in the West, while brief, can't be overstated, and the illuminated manuscript was an integral contribution to art as well. Plus, even if he was proclaimed a heretic, the theology of Johannes Scotus (recalling that the Medieval Latin term for Ireland was Scotia, while what we call Scotland was Caledonia) is absolutely fascinating. Yes, Ireland was also fractious (not that Firaxis sees that as a problem: viz., Greece, Scythia, Polynesia, etc.) and ultimately conquered by the English, but culturally it was certainly more significant than Scotland. Plus Brian Boru definitely checks the "big personality" mark.

Ultimately, though, I'd rather see Ireland and Scotland represented by Dublin and Edinburgh city-states, and God forbid the confused multi-millennia-spanning abomination that was the Civ5 Celts ever return.

I doubt Firaxis will completely do away with the Celts. They will appear in some form in Civ6. I think Robert the Bruce would be a Civ-worthy leader for Scotland, though I am aware of Ireland's importance to Western history. Perhaps a Civ called the Gaels could represent both Ireland and Scotland in the game, with maybe a Civ called the Britons or another called the Gauls representing non-Gaelic Celts?

I doubt Firaxis will completely do away with the Celts. They will appear in some form in Civ6. I think Robert the Bruce would be a Civ-worthy leader for Scotland, though I am aware of Ireland's importance to Western history. Perhaps a Civ called the Gaels could represent both Ireland and Scotland in the game, with maybe a Civ called the Britons or another called the Gauls representing non-Gaelic Celts?
I would welcome a division of the Celts into Gauls and Gaels, though I think a Gaulish civ led by Vercingetorix would be quite adequate. Such a division would leave out the Britons/Brythons, but in the scheme of things the Welsh and Cornish got conquered by the Anglo-Normans early on, and the Bretons were highly significant but politically part of France.

Netherlands, Portugal, and Celts, since they were (I'm pretty sure) far more powerful (at their peaks) than any of the others.

Netherlands and Portugal were obviously very powerful. Not sure what this Celtic power you speak of is though. Certainly the Papal States would have been more powerful, with some popes having had a lot of influence over the affairs of Europe, and Denmark was the origin of a sizeable empire under Canute, as well as Austria obviously having had a large empire.

Netherlands and Portugal were obviously very powerful. Not sure what this Celtic power you speak of is though. Certainly the Papal States would have been more powerful, with some popes having had a lot of influence over the affairs of Europe, and Denmark was the origin of a sizeable empire under Canute, as well as Austria obviously having had a large empire.
They were never politically centralized, but prior to the spread of Rome and the invasions of Germanic peoples from the east, the majority of Western and Central Europe, including the British Isles, France, much of Spain (most of Spain if Lusitanian was Celtic, which is highly debatable), the Low Countries, western Germany, Switzerland, and northern Italy were Celtic, with exclaves in the Balkans and Anatolia.

They were never politically centralized, but prior to the spread of Rome and the invasions of Germanic peoples from the east, the majority of Western and Central Europe, including the British Isles, France, much of Spain (most of Spain if Lusitanian was Celtic, which is highly debatable), the Low Countries, western Germany, Switzerland, and northern Italy were Celtic, with exclaves in the Balkans and Anatolia.

My statement was this- 'Not sure what this Celtic power you speak of is though'. Obviously I'm aware that Celts existed living in a country with Celtic history myself, and I'm aware roughly of the region they existed in. I was not asking about the size of the realms covered by various Celtic tribes, but was pointing out that Meowzer's point abut the 'peak of Celtic power' makes no sense, as, like you yourself pointed out, they were never politically centalised.

My statement was this- 'Not sure what this Celtic power you speak of is though'. Obviously I'm aware that Celts existed living in a country with Celtic history myself, and I'm aware roughly of the region they existed in. I was not asking about the size of the realms covered by various Celtic tribes, but was pointing out that Meowzer's point abut the 'peak of Celtic power' makes no sense, as, like you yourself pointed out, they were never politically centalised.
Ah, gotcha. I was merely pointing out why they would merit inclusion despite having never coalesced into a unified power, but I see I missed the point.

I voted for Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal which I think are the only gaps in western Europe culture-wise and No Rome can't cover Italy by itself because they didn't have pizza for instance:goodjob::lol:

I voted for Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal which I think are the only gaps in western Europe culture-wise and No Rome can't cover Italy by itself because they didn't have pizza for instance:goodjob::lol:
On the other hand, the most significant thing Italy has done since reunification is help Germany lose World War 2. :p It'd make more sense to include one of the Medieval or Renaissance Italian city-states, which actually had power and influence as merchant-princes.

Cultures like the Maya are often represented by a single Civ. Civilization and State are not synonymous. There's nothing wrong with the Italian Civilization including all those city-states.

Top Bottom